VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ajdino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new to the Windows 98 scene and wanted to test my rig, but also test the brand new Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (USB) that I just bought. The first game I go to play with it is Carmageddon, which clearly didn't support it. I'm out of my element here and need help, because I can't shake the feeling I just sunk a lot of money and time into an accessory that won't pay off. I need to be proven wrong. I'd like to know every game under the sun that has wheel support, games that will blow me away. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply 3 of 15, by Ajdino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-15, 02:22:

Good question. Are you excluding win98 games that also run on winXP or came out after 2002?

So long as there's Windows 98 support, I'm inclusive. I need the Sidewinder drivers to work and it apparently doesn't work with NT kernel operating systems.

Reply 5 of 15, by Ajdino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2020-11-15, 01:49:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PC_ga … eedback_support

Hopefully you'll find something in there.

I found Assassin's Creed and Bastion in there... I'm not digging that list at all. Force feedback can mean anything on that long list.

Reply 6 of 15, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ajdino wrote on 2020-11-15, 02:40:

I found Assassin's Creed and Bastion in there... I'm not digging that list at all. Force feedback can mean anything on that long list.

Look under the racing games section. Any racing games that can run on 98 should be what you want. Rumble want really a thing at that time.

Reply 7 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SScorpio wrote on 2020-11-15, 02:44:

Rumble want really a thing at that time.

What? Immersion force feedback support was almost everywhere beginning around 1997, and on the console side there's the Playstation's Dual Shock and the N64's Rumble Pak.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 15, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rally Trophy is at the top of the list technology wise, then there's at least Mobil 1 Rally Championship, Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Grand Prix Legends, Need for Speed series esp. Porsche.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote on 2020-11-15, 11:13:

Need for Speed series esp. Porsche.

Was going to say it really helps in Porsche with the tail happy cars, you can feel just before it's going to break away.
Not saying it's not good in NFS3 or 4, It's just those games are more forgiving overall.

I also liked Powerslide with FF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerslide_(video_game)
Re-Volt felt wrong with it IMHO, great game though

Reply 11 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re read the subject, before I was focused on force feedback, the actual question is wheel in general
Big Red Racing was good, I don't remember it supporting FF, or if it did I turned it off

Flight Sim games are good, at least the dos arcade-ish ones I used to play, eg Terminal Velocity
3D shooters are also good for a laugh. No replacement for a keyboard/mouse fun, but surprisingly fun.

Reply 12 of 15, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't recall if Sega Rally 2 supported Force Feedback, I think it did. It's a great port of the arcade version that looks at least as good as the Dreamcast version but can run at 60FPS. Excellent arcade racer and if it does indeed support FF, I think it's a strong candidate.

Reply 13 of 15, by s997863

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know about wheels, but I remember Motocross Madness 2 demo as the only title having more than a simple vibration gimmick for my FF joystick: the stick actually jerked and opposed my steering depending on the resistance like climbing steep terrain or bumping or crashing ... etc.

Reply 14 of 15, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel does work on Windows XP. At least the USB version of it. I know, because I have it.

All you need are the Force Feeback 4.0 drivers.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=880

There are modern games that work well with it. Gas Guzzlers Extreme is a lot of fun. You can also emulate an Xbox360 racing wheel with x360ce for some games.

Older games that are fun:
- Microsoft Monster Truck Madness 1+2
- Ubisoft POD (needs a patch)
- Flatout 1+2
- Powerslide (especially with 3Dfx)

Have fun 🙂

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 15 of 15, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Logitech used to include EA's Sports Car GT in some of their force feedback wheel packages. Make sure to get 3rd-party patches to make the traction more realistic/variable. There is a demo for the game.