DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1600 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alexis78 wrote on 2020-11-13, 10:23:

I am trying to import my D-Fend Reloaded configs to DBGL so I won´t need to manually configurate one by one all my games but I am not doing it right or I don´t know how to do It properly. I will apreciate some help, maybe a step by step? I am trying but, well, I don´t get It.

1. First step is to generate .conf files from your D-Fend Reloaded profiles using D-Fend Reloaded in Windows: simply select File -> Export -> Create conf files;
  2. After these files have been generated, start DBGL and choose Profiles -> Import D-Fend (Reloaded) Profiles. Select your D-Fend Reloaded directory, and the folder into which you just saved the .conf files;
  3. Finish the wizard.
psoma wrote on 2020-11-12, 21:02:

Using the latest beta, I'm unable to select "direct3d" as the output type for Dosbox-X. I've added direct3d to the dynamic options list and the settings.conf file, but it won't come up as a menu option of the GUI (as it does for DosBox DAUM). Is there something I'm still not doing or doing wrong? I must admit, I don't quite understand where it gets these values from and how it knows what the DosBox versions support (because DosBox-X definitely supports Direct3D).

Strange, this should work. Make sure you have the following configured:

settings.png
Filename
settings.png
File size
25.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And make sure you associate your DBGL profile to DOSBox-X. Then you should have the required output options like so:

profile.png
Filename
profile.png
File size
30.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rfc wrote on 2020-11-09, 09:52:

..I certainly simply never had the need to access the top menu in OSX but in fact I can't open any of the menus 😅

Yeah, I also noticed this on MacOS. Although switching to another applications and then back to DBGL seemed to resolve this problem. Probably some issue with SWT, I'll keep an eye out for any updates that may fix it.

rfc wrote on 2020-11-07, 10:35:

...noticed that the thumbnails, whilst preserved, don't show up correctly:

Fixed in beta4, some kind of funky regression in SWT.

All the latest files. To upgrade, just update dbgl.jar.

Ronald

Reply 1601 of 1968, by psoma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And make sure you associate your DBGL profile to DOSBox-X. Then you should have the required output options like so:

Thanks Roland.... hmmm - yep, that's what I've got happening:

1.png
2.png
3.png

But no direct3d.

What I don't get is, where are these options stored for each different DosBox version or how are they derived... Why when I select vanilla DosBox 0.74-3 for a game profile for instance does it know direct3d (and a bunch of experimental options) aren't supported, yet when I select Dosbox Daum, direct3d plus a slew of other options become configurable through the profile? I would have thought when configuring the DosBox versions, each one should have its own Dynamic Options or am I not understanding the concept of Dynamic Options correctly?

Cheers,

Tom

Reply 1602 of 1968, by surrodox2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
psoma wrote on 2020-11-15, 21:10:

What I don't get is, where are these options stored for each different DosBox version or how are they derived... Why when I select vanilla DosBox 0.74-3 for a game profile for instance does it know direct3d (and a bunch of experimental options) aren't supported, yet when I select Dosbox Daum, direct3d plus a slew of other options become configurable through the profile? I would have thought when configuring the DosBox versions, each one should have its own Dynamic Options or am I not understanding the concept of Dynamic Options correctly?

I think the way that dbgl handles what options is available and what are not is via the dosbox.conf file located alongside the dosbox exe and what kind of cfg entries is in it that dbgl can read.

I know about that by the way of configuring dosbox-x to use it with dbgl and not having the full options available (like mt32 options) with a standard "config -wcp -all". I got the full options selectable via dbgl when I select "show advanced options" and save all of the configuration in the configuration window.

I'd like to see an option to force all options available 😀 Not that it'd help someone (since the proper way is do it like I do above), but just for fun.

Reply 1603 of 1968, by surrodox2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to have some feature requests to the developer [rcblanke]:

1. Adding an option to don't execute any file at start, or allow the dos/booter section to be blank, so that we can run the dos without running a program (or running a stub bat) and have the folders mounted.

Reply 1604 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
surrodox2001 wrote on 2020-11-17, 14:19:

..Adding an option to don't execute any file at start, or allow the dos/booter section to be blank, so that we can run the dos without running a program (or running a stub bat) and have the folders mounted.

Removing the main executable will never be possible in DBGL (because of technical reasons), but what you can do is right-click on the profile and choose 'Start manually'; this will start DOSBox and mount the appropriate folders after which you get manual control of DOSBox.

Or you can create a template and start that. Or simply start a DOSBox version.

psoma wrote on 2020-11-15, 21:10:

... But no direct3d.

Oops, you're absolutely right.

The 'dynamic options' are merely a ways to configure the available values for the various dropdowns in the profile (and template) editing screens. But there is a little more to it. Quite some years ago I've customized a couple of these dropdowns to behave a bit differently depending on the dosbox.conf options in the associated DOSBox version. Based on the detected DOSBox build (we're talking ykhwong/daum, gulikoza, MB5 here, so very much outdated DOSBox builds by now) DBGL would (dis-)allow some extra values such as direct3d. I had completely forgotten about this feature, as I've hardly touched it ever since.

Because there are so many custom DOSBox builds floating around these days, I've decided to remove this 'magic' behaviour entirely, so that the 'dynamic options' simply correspond to the dropdowns. There is just one exception, the [machine] dropdown will remain to get its values from either the dynamic option <machine> (for DOSBox versions < 0.73) or <machine073> (for DOSBox versions 0.73 and up). Please try beta5 and see if that solves your problem.

In the meantime, I'll try to conjure up a way to improve support for custom DOSBox builds, allowing finer control over the 'dynamic options'.

Ronald

Reply 1606 of 1968, by psoma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, and I don't know if it's just something peculiar to my setup, but whenever I launch DBGL, the tile image of the last launched game is blank - I have to view the screenshot and close it again for it to correctly show:

snip.png

Cheers,

Tom

Reply 1607 of 1968, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got the new beta up and running.. For some reason copying my database and captures didn't work right away. I had to run the beta once, then copy everything over, otherwise it gives an error about opening the database. So far so good but had one question.. I have a bunch of profiles that over the years that somehow lost the paths to the executables. Is there a way to do an audit and generate a list of the incomplete ones? Ive just been going through as I play games and one will pop up, I have to go in, reset the games executables/installer paths, and then its back to normal. I was gonna run the database cleanup, but that sounds like it's going to wipe out the broken ones instead of letting me fix them.

Reply 1608 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Monotremata wrote on 2020-11-22, 17:22:

Is there a way to do an audit and generate a list of the incomplete ones?

Select a profile, press ctrl-A (select all) and press 'Edit Profile'. This will load all profiles and display a list of any problems encountered.

Reply 1609 of 1968, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2020-11-22, 20:38:

Select a profile, press ctrl-A (select all) and press 'Edit Profile'. This will load all profiles and display a list of any problems encountered.

Ahh I didn't even think of that haha. I tend to not use that because I messed things up in the past changing EVERY profile I had selected hehe. This will give me an easy way to switch everything over to DOSBox-X too! Maybe its time to update the templates and update those across the board too.

Reply 1610 of 1968, by psoma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UX Feature request: a jump-to ability so that typing a letter whilst browsing the list of games will jump to the first game starting with that letter. I know the filter exists, but I'd just like to click on any game and then type "f" to jump to the first game starting with the letter "f". Pressing f again subsequently moves to the next "f" game and so on.

Many thanks again for a brilliant product.

Tom

Reply 1612 of 1968, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, Which versions of Dosbox allow you to use GLSL shaders with the DBGL frontend. I've tried Dosbox X, DosBox Staging, Dosbox SVN Optional, and cannot get any shaders to work, they simply don't show in game. I've put the shaders folder in the Dosroot folder but still doesn't work. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

The only Dosbox that appears to work with shaders is a special version called Dosbox CRT, but it has very few options and isn't compatible with my xbox360 controller. It would be great if I could get other Dosbox versions working with shaders. Thanks again! 😀

DOSBOX CRT

https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/dosbox-crt

Reply 1613 of 1968, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PerryRhodan wrote on 2020-12-03, 12:50:
Hello, Which versions of Dosbox allow you to use GLSL shaders with the DBGL frontend. I've tried Dosbox X, DosBox Staging, Dosb […]
Show full quote

Hello, Which versions of Dosbox allow you to use GLSL shaders with the DBGL frontend. I've tried Dosbox X, DosBox Staging, Dosbox SVN Optional, and cannot get any shaders to work, they simply don't show in game. I've put the shaders folder in the Dosroot folder but still doesn't work. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

The only Dosbox that appears to work with shaders is a special version called Dosbox CRT, but it has very few options and isn't compatible with my xbox360 controller. It would be great if I could get other Dosbox versions working with shaders. Thanks again! 😀

DOSBOX CRT

https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/dosbox-crt

https://dosboxece.yesterplay.net/

Reply 1614 of 1968, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beta5 won't let me launch DosBox-X from the DOSBox Versions window now for some reason.. That's where I launch my WIN98 config. The included DOSBox and the actual DOSBox release I added work fine, but for some reason it won't launch DOSBox-X on its own now. It keeps counting every time it 'opens' but never launches. Games are working though, I have all of my profiles switched over to use DOSBox-X and those launch and play like they should.

Reply 1615 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an untranslated item on 0.93beta5. I must have missed it when I revised the Spanish translation:

txJiPFs.png

Where it reads "Load settings" it should read "Cargar".

EDIT: Also noticed this, if I press the "Load settings" button next to the PC configs while none is selected it crashes the program.

Reply 1616 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psoma wrote on 2020-11-21, 02:42:

..whenever I launch DBGL, the tile image of the last launched game is blank - I have to view the screenshot and close it again for it to correctly show.

Fixed.

psoma wrote on 2020-11-25, 11:17:

UX Feature request: a jump-to ability so that typing a letter whilst browsing the list of games will jump to the first game starting with that letter. I know the filter exists, but I'd just like to click on any game and then type "f" to jump to the first game starting with the letter "f". Pressing f again subsequently moves to the next "f" game and so on.

While the 'normal' profile list already has jump-to working, the 'Gallery view' indeed does not. I've now tried to mimic the normal list behavior for the Gallery. This means you can just start typing the first letters of a game (D-O-O...), and the Gallery should jump to the profile starting with these letters (Doom).

Neville wrote on 2020-12-15, 14:25:

Found an untranslated item on 0.93beta5. Also noticed this, if I press the "Load settings" button next to the PC configs while none is selected it crashes the program.

Both corrected. Note that template 'Loading' was added in beta2.

Monotremata wrote on 2020-12-12, 16:31:

Beta5 won't let me launch DosBox-X from the DOSBox Versions window now for some reason.

Should be fixed - if not, please share the output of the DBGL terminal when trying to start DOSBox-X. Note that you'll need to use a shell script if you want to run Flatpak DOSBox applications from within DBGL.

Other improvements in this new test build:
* Added support for DOSBox version-specific dynamic options (psoma);
* Major speedup when importing (multiple, very large) gamepackarchives;
* eXo V5 convertor.

dvso.png
Filename
dvso.png
File size
77.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Ronald

Reply 1618 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using latest beta, I'm having trouble importing a games package made with DBGL v0.92.

nbYGiUh.png

Not a fresh install, but...

UPDATE: I tried with a fresh install, the program crashed when the actual importing was about to start. Mmmmm...

Reply 1619 of 1968, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with dosbox-x and dbgl.
Some option supported by dosbox-x are grey.
Sans-titre.jpg

In midi device, mt32 is not available. Dosbox-x support mt32 with the last version. With dosbox ece, mt32 is available.
Sans-titre.jpg

Is there any solution ?

I have the last version of dosbox-x and last version of dbgl