VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by n1ghttr4p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to ask without doing a deep-dive myself, been short on time lately, but I was wondering which builds will output games dynamically to their original, unscaled/unfiltered resolution properly? I'm using DOSbox on a Windows XP, P4, 1gb, Geforce 5900XT, YMF744 machine as a supplement for the few games that simply will not run with the DSDMA TSR enabled (DDMA and SBLINK are a no-go for this machine, already been down that road) in DOS. At first I was thinking emulation is a sad fallback for a machine that's supposed to run everything natively on hardware, then I realized how nice it looks through Daum SVN as it outputs to the original resolution with fullresolution=original set, looking very much like the real deal with even pixels and low resolution scanlines.

However, this build doesn't run Turrican properly, running in a vert stretched and massively cropped mode. I tried Dosbox-X, which runs the game correctly, but no matter what I do I can't get it to output to the original res like Daum even with fullresolution=original, surface, d3d, or anything.

Is it possible to fix Dosbox-X like I want it, to fix Turrican in Daum, or are there other reasonably modern builds that'll output to original resolution properly?

Last edited by n1ghttr4p on 2020-11-19, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by n1ghttr4p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. Doublescan did the trick in Turrican and Daum is still the best way to output to the game's original resolution in XP as far as I can tell.

Also, apologies for using the wrong verbiage topic. I mean outputting the game's original, unstretched/scaled resolution and having the CRT monitor change to it for perfect pixels and scanlines. I realize that CRTs don't have a "native resolution" like LCDs.