VOGONS

First post, by Downer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy,

I have a Shuttle SS51G (fs51 v.1 motherboard) with a Voodoo 5 and an Aureal SQ2500 rev. B installed. I recently obtained a 2mb midi daughter board from a Monster MX100. When the computer boots I hear a high pitch whine but it disappears when windows 98 loads. When I boot into DOS it comes back. Although the midi card works under DOS, I can not seem to make the high pitch sound go away. I was wondering if the midi board is bad, if the sound card is bad, the sound card doesn't like the midi board or if the graphics card is just too close? There is only an APG Slot and one PCI slot. I do not have this high pitch sound when the daugherboard is removed. I do not have any experience with these daughter boards and was hoping for some info. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Downer wrote on 2020-11-19, 00:05:

Howdy,

I have a Shuttle SS51G (fs51 v.1 motherboard) with a Voodoo 5 and an Aureal SQ2500 rev. B installed. I recently obtained a 2mb midi daughter board from a Monster MX100. When the computer boots I hear a high pitch whine but it disappears when windows 98 loads. When I boot into DOS it comes back. Although the midi card works under DOS, I can not seem to make the high pitch sound go away. I was wondering if the midi board is bad, if the sound card is bad, the sound card doesn't like the midi board or if the graphics card is just too close? There is only an APG Slot and one PCI slot. I do not have this high pitch sound when the daugherboard is removed. I do not have any experience with these daughter boards and was hoping for some info. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

If everything works in Windows without the whine, but not in DOS, one or more of the inputs are probably active by default in DOS (but not in Windows) and picking up noise .

I suggest you try the Aureal AU8830 DOS mixer AU30MIX , which you can download from here : https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html and mute all the inputs that you are not using .

Reply 2 of 2, by Downer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-19, 00:16:
Downer wrote on 2020-11-19, 00:05:

Howdy,

If everything works in Windows without the whine, but not in DOS, one or more of the inputs are probably active by default in DOS (but not in Windows) and picking up noise .

I suggest you try the Aureal AU8830 DOS mixer AU30MIX , which you can download from here : https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html and mute all the inputs that you are not using .

Thank you for the information. I will try that in the morning.

Edit: That did the trick. I can still hear a slight sound but it is much better. Thank you again.