VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by misa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How does the name of CD-ROM drive in DOSBox like? Is it MSCD001 or anything else? Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 11, by surrodox2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On paper cd-rom emulation in dosbox doesn't have a specific device emulated, but you can enable lowlevel cd-rom emulation to a few modes like ioctl or aspi to have true cd-rom emulated in dosbox, which perhaps you can have drivers like oakcdrom in use or use the drive in windows.

Reply 4 of 11, by surrodox2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
misa wrote on 2020-11-18, 16:10:

I mean neither the CD-ROM drive letter nor the name on the package, but the internal representation of CD-ROM in Microsoft CD-ROM Extension (MSCDEX) which is a part of DOSBox.

I think that dosbox is internally emulating a standard ATAPI cd-rom using oakcdrom.sys, i could be wrong though.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Google search for [site:sourceforge.net dosbox "mscd001"] (without the brackets) indicates that the line is in https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/4167/ … /dos_mscdex.cpp .

If you do not want to recompile DOSBox from source and if you are planning to replace "MSDC001" with another name of exactly seven characters or less, then I suspect you can always just hex-edit the executable directly.

Reply 8 of 11, by misa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much. Good advice. Unfortunately , I hoped that the name is different and wanted to put "MSCD001" there. (If the name were different the change could make executable my Software Toolworks Electronic Encyclopedia...)

Reply 9 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox uses MSCD001 for the name of the emulated CD-ROM device driver, presumably because it was historically a sort of default. However, it is usually not necessary for users to concern themselves with such details, as the emulated device driver and MSCDEX interface is automatically activated when the first CD-ROM drive is mounted in DOSBox.

You may be trying to follow some instructions that came with the app regarding how to set up a CD-ROM drive on a real system, but in DOSBox you can skip to the part about running the SETUP or INSTALL program on the CD-ROM. If the app is for Windows 3.x you will first need to install Win3 in DOSBox with the necessary audio and video drivers, for which there is a guide in the guides section of the forum.

Reply 11 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-12-15, 10:28:

Was MSCD001 or MSCD0001 more common?

Google gives ten times as many results for "MSCD001" than for "MSCD0001", which seems to be a good indication.