VOGONS

Need foam filter for old cases

Topic actions

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking for filter foam for some old cases like CM Centurion 5 or some old Lian Li cases.
The cases have a Mesh front (or part of it) and the old filter foam is just crumbling away.

I am looking for a 3mm low density black filter foam e.g. like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32270504040.html

Any idea wehr to get such one in germany or airmail china?

Thanks & stay all well!

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have any home repair / project stores there? What about stores that have to do with arts and crafts?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 21, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to redo the foam on my centurion 5 case and I bought ac/heat vent filters from Lowe's really cheap.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-12-Pack-Green-an … -Filter/3122205

Reply 3 of 21, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-19, 16:09:

I had to redo the foam on my centurion 5 case and I bought ac/heat vent filters from Lowe's really cheap.

Are they white? I'd like to stick with black filters, as it was.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 5 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-Conditioner … 05813834&sr=8-6

I just searched for dust filter foam, and it was the first result on Amazon. I'm sure your country has something exactly like it readily available for purchase.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 21, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-11-19, 19:24:

I just searched for dust filter foam, and it was the first result on Amazon. I'm sure your country has something exactly like it readily available for purchase.

Sorry, but that's US only (or around 27$ delivery) ... 🙁

I've asked for Germany, Europe or cheap Chinese delivery ...

Reply 8 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-11-19, 20:03:
wiretap wrote on 2020-11-19, 19:24:

Sorry, but that's US only (or around 27$ delivery) ... 🙁

I've asked for Germany, Europe or cheap Chinese delivery ...

Hence my second sentence. You should be able to use the search terms I used and come up with a whole variety of similar products in Germany. I find it extremely hard to believe that they don't have this foam available in Germany. It is widely used in all sorts of products.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 21, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 25cm x 25cm x 3mm sheets at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112496752959

If the shipping is too high (about £8 to Germany) I would be happy to help buy and reship at cost, which would be £3 shipping without tracking. PM me if you want my help buying from a UK seller.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 10 of 21, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another option might be aquarium pump filters - usually foam or synthetic weave matting and, as its designed for submersion, is easily wash-safe. Sure there must be pet supply outlets in your area that carry it.

Reply 11 of 21, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-11-19, 20:21:

There are 25cm x 25cm x 3mm sheets at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112496752959

If the shipping is too high (about £8 to Germany) I would be happy to help buy and reship at cost, which would be £3 shipping without tracking. PM me if you want my help buying from a UK seller.

Hmm, aircondition supply - good hint.
Many thanks the offer to buy it, but let me try first if I can find something alike locally.

Reply 14 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:50:

I'd try to find a HEPA filter or similar. Those thin foam filters just pass all the dust and don't really work as well as they should.

This is my experience as well. The metal mesh will already catch most of the dust with little left behind in the softer foam mesh, but a lot of dust will come through regardless so I made it a habit to clean it out at least once a year (and I mean taking it apart partially and cleaning all the filters including CPU and GPU ones).
My foam filters seemed fine when I cleaned my PC in the garden earlier this year, but good to know that this foam is known to degenerate as I love the Centurion 5 and have several of them. I was never really satisfied with the softer foam filters anyway, but it does look kinda cool 😜

EDIT: Just checked the filters of my (temporarily decommissioned) AM3 rig and its foam filters are still fine, or at least seem fine. Perhaps it's something to do with the climate or something that makes this foam degrade faster or slower?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 21, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mainly I need the foam for my Lian Li PC60-F - that filter foam literally desintegreated when I tried to clean it.
After that experiance I am worried that this will happen to my CM Centurion 5 too, but maybe this is a different material even when it looks the same.

Reply 16 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-11-20, 16:14:

Mainly I need the foam for my Lian Li PC60-F - that filter foam literally desintegreated when I tried to clean it.
After that experiance I am worried that this will happen to my CM Centurion 5 too, but maybe this is a different material even when it looks the same.

I don't have a Lian Li PC60-F, but I have at least 3 Centurion 5 cases (one fully black and 2 of the standard ones) and the foam seems to be in good condition in 2 of them.
One case was the base for my first A64 build and has been in my possession for a long time now and the other I got second hand maybe 5 years or so ago. Both still have good foam, but if you're looking for foam for your other case, getting some spare material for your Centurion 5 probably wouldn't hurt anyway =)

It is possible that it will start degrading very soon now, but I'm not too worried about it personally as I believe the system should still function normally even without the foam.
If I really wanted to, I could possibly even replace it with spare motherboardbox foam rigged into place or something 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 21, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The centurion 5 is probably my favorite case to use and build in. The vent filters I used do a great job keeping dust out if the case. Even the original foam did a decent job keeping the inside clean

Reply 18 of 21, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today, I've finally got my CM Centurion 5 (Blue), that I intend to assemble with the (NOS) Aero Cool Modern V 😀
Had the very same back in 2008 in that combination and loved it, but sold it later on ... as usual 🙁

Hope the Filter Foam stays with me 😉

centurion5.jpg
Filename
centurion5.jpg
File size
92.65 KiB
Views
File comment
CM Centurion 5 (Blue)
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 19 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-20, 20:27:

The centurion 5 is probably my favorite case to use and build in. The vent filters I used do a great job keeping dust out if the case. Even the original foam did a decent job keeping the inside clean

The Centurion 5 is one of my favorite cases =)
But it does have its flaws. I don't like how it is not a very silent case (it's not like the thick steel used in older cases and lets sound through too easily for my taste) and the front bezel is tedious to unmount from the case. It's ok when putting it back but it's not at all a matter of *click* and you're done -_-

Another favorite of mine are the AOpen H600 tower cases (the beige ones) especially after having removed the back exhaust fan grills =)

Report spammers here!