VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.7.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 280 of 474, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And this is the question I have for you, Dege. Can you customize games that don't work on dgvoodoo2 at all, such as Signus: The Artifact Wars, two NASCAR games (NASCAR 2000, NASCAR Revolution) and The Arrival? Signus crashes immediately when you try to boot, NASCARs only work if you hold the Alt key when starting them (fix that is in another topic does not help), and The Arrival after the intro crashes with an error to the desktop

Reply 282 of 474, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further games incompatible with dgvoodoo2:
Speedboat Attack - the race cannot be started (when starting the race, the game exits the menu)
Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force - when you run it via dgvoodoo2 you can only see a black screen

Reply 283 of 474, by MrPepka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, about Speedboat Attack, using the installer from [LINK REMOVED] adapted to new systems, the game works through dgvoodoo2, but first it crashes at the start of the race, and after replacing two instructions with NOP and running the code, the game works, but the vehicle we are moving constantly flickering, and after losing a race and clicking Esc the game generates an exception that cannot be avoided

Last edited by vetz on 2020-11-09, 09:14. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Abandonware links not allowed on VOGONS

Reply 285 of 474, by Icy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decided to retest retail version of Spellforce and it's actually works as intended still. So problems exist only with steam version now, don't know what kind of updates they've implemented that broke it. But there's one more interesting thing, those bugged shadows this game had all these recent years can actually be fixed with dgvoodoo, the same way as with Splinter Cell games. Don't know, maybe it was a known fact, but on pcgamingwiki this still states as being unfixed.

Reply 286 of 474, by SonicDX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the fix in montezuma return's game
have you thought about implementing another api? open gl? or would that be impossible?
for games like quake series, or call of duty 1 or medal of honor and some others.
I hate having to keep using mods for the game to work properly, I like dgvoodoo2 because it keeps the old game's field only leaving it graphically improved.

(sorry for my english, i still need to study more.)

Reply 287 of 474, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noticed one particular thing in Bloodrayne (original 2002 release, 1.1 exe)
Game doesn't have windowed mode nor VSync control and it runs in fullscreen @60 FPS no matter the monitor refresh rate
So to achieve 75 FPS on a 75 Hz monitor (I know there are animation issues, that's not the point) I've used dgVoodoo2 to force it:

dgVoodoo 2 "fullscreen windowed mode" (windowed + NO application control) without forced VSYnc -> 75 FPS (my desktop resolution refresh rate) + Terrible Menu Lag (I mean 1-2 seconds input delay switching among options!)
dgVoodoo 2 "fullscreen windowed mode" (windowed + NO application control) with forced VSync -> 75 FPS (my desktop resolution refresh rate) + Perfect!

Any explanation, Dege?

Reply 288 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SonicDX wrote on 2020-11-14, 16:57:
thanks for the fix in montezuma return's game have you thought about implementing another api? open gl? or would that be impossi […]
Show full quote

thanks for the fix in montezuma return's game
have you thought about implementing another api? open gl? or would that be impossible?
for games like quake series, or call of duty 1 or medal of honor and some others.
I hate having to keep using mods for the game to work properly, I like dgvoodoo2 because it keeps the old game's field only leaving it graphically improved.

Thanks! OpenGL was asked about earlier. It's drawback is GLSL (OGL 2.0+), it'd be very challenging to write a good compiler (see Microsoft's OGL on DX12 implementation).
The other restraining factor is free time for new/other things. 🙁
(I have messy weeks/days this time...)

lowenz wrote on 2020-11-21, 18:32:
Noticed one particular thing in Bloodrayne (original 2002 release, 1.1 exe) Game doesn't have windowed mode nor VSync control an […]
Show full quote

Noticed one particular thing in Bloodrayne (original 2002 release, 1.1 exe)
Game doesn't have windowed mode nor VSync control and it runs in fullscreen @60 FPS no matter the monitor refresh rate
So to achieve 75 FPS on a 75 Hz monitor (I know there are animation issues, that's not the point) I've used dgVoodoo2 to force it:

dgVoodoo 2 "fullscreen windowed mode" (windowed + NO application control) without forced VSYnc -> 75 FPS (my desktop resolution refresh rate) + Terrible Menu Lag (I mean 1-2 seconds input delay switching among options!)
dgVoodoo 2 "fullscreen windowed mode" (windowed + NO application control) with forced VSync -> 75 FPS (my desktop resolution refresh rate) + Perfect!

Any explanation, Dege?

Interesting, I have no idea. I've just given it a quick try (on a 75Hz display) but the game ran at uncapped fps (DX12 but DX11 should behave the same way). The animation is too fast though.
Maybe a game profile in the video driver CPL or sg like that?

Reply 289 of 474, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You must force the Windowed mode through dgVoodoo2 so the FPS cap is automatic (in my case), no matter the VSync forcing.
The problem of the lag (with no VSync forced, only the FPS cap) is ONLY in the menu.

Bloodrayne *1* does not have a profile in the Nvidia default package!

Reply 290 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I force it because the game won't start otherwise (known issue with dgVoodoo).
But, it's interesting. The fps is uncapped even in the menu. With forced vsync I get 60fps, in spite the monitor is set to 75hz.

Update: This is true if the game is running in windowed mode. It's probably because of my multimonitor setup, the other monitor is at 60Hz.
When I switch to fullscr with Alt-Enter then the fps goes up to 75.

Reply 296 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I was talking about the menu too. It's not lagging for me at all.
Btw, isn't the new Terminal Cut version reimplemented on a newer API like DX11/12?

@MrPepka: Signus works if resolution is set to 640x480. In case of 800x600 it crashes at startup because the resolution is still set to 640x480 but the game want to access 800x600-sized video memory data.
640x480 still crashes for Alt-Tab though, for similar reasons.

Reply 299 of 474, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to enumerate refresh rates with Guitar Hero III and World Tour (don't have Aerosmith, so I can't see if this occurs there) causes the games not to open. Would be nice to see this fixed as they love opening with just 60 Hz enabled instead of a higher one.