VOGONS

First post, by flash951

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone got a non-working Pacific Computer - Portable PC III for sale to help me out?

I need a new power supply for it. I'm repairing this computer for a friend, and the spring for the screen mount shorted the mainboard within the box. Damaged both the mainboard, CPU chip and IDE controller ISA card, and most unfortunately, the PSU which is an AT form PSU with a custom small transformer PSU with current to the gas plasma screen it seems.

This happened after this computer was ready with SD card setup and new CMOS battery, all working 100%.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just want to say that in general selling/trading is not allowed here on Vogons, but perhaps there is someone who can point you in the right direction in such a case like this.

If you have some troubleshooting skills I'm sure someone could help you out with suggestions, especially if you take some highres pictures of the powersupply.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a working but disassembled one of these right now. Nothing in it is for sale of course.. but I can probably take some readings from the PSU if you want.

I was actually planning on changing the PSU to one of those PICO ATX PSUs and using an ATX to AT adapter so I could mod the case to be able to actually use more slots as the stock setup is stupid and blocks most of the slots.

Probably also going to replace the screen with something better so it is actually useful for gaming. From what I could find, these screens are absolutely horrible as far as response time / ghosting goes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by flash951

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would be absolutely great if you could measure the voltage on the PSU going to the screen. I suspect it's AC, not DC.
It would help a lot.

Best regards,

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-12, 19:23:

I have a working but disassembled one of these right now. Nothing in it is for sale of course.. but I can probably take some readings from the PSU if you want.

I was actually planning on changing the PSU to one of those PICO ATX PSUs and using an ATX to AT adapter so I could mod the case to be able to actually use more slots as the stock setup is stupid and blocks most of the slots.

Probably also going to replace the screen with something better so it is actually useful for gaming. From what I could find, these screens are absolutely horrible as far as response time / ghosting goes.

Reply 4 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Pacific Computer Portable XT with mono Amber CRT: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?
am sure the parts are totally different and sorry but will not part with any of them.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 9, by flash951

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-12, 19:23:

Any chance to take the readout from the PSU? It will be very helpful.

Reply 6 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ended up just taking the cover off of the PSU and looking where the wires for the screen power went.

They hook into the same power planes as the regular connectors.

So you have:
Black = Ground
Yellow = +12v
Red = +5v

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 9, by flash951

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you sure this is not the wires going to the graphics add on card and not the wires actually powering the screen?
In my machine, inside the PSU, there is a small "custom" transformer PCB with 3 wires going directly to the screen, blue, white and black (looks like AC wires/colors).
There is also a regular "black, yellow, red" from the PSU powering the graphic card "daughter board" that's connect to the screen but not powering it.

Regard, Remi

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-19, 06:16:
I ended up just taking the cover off of the PSU and looking where the wires for the screen power went. […]
Show full quote

I ended up just taking the cover off of the PSU and looking where the wires for the screen power went.

They hook into the same power planes as the regular connectors.

So you have:
Black = Ground
Yellow = +12v
Red = +5v

Reply 8 of 9, by flash951

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the PCB within the gas plasma screen and the power connector with the red, black and brown wire coming from the mini-pcb with a small transformer within the PSU.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flash951 wrote on 2020-11-22, 14:29:

This is the PCB within the gas plasma screen and the power connector with the red, black and brown wire coming from the mini-pcb with a small transformer within the PSU.

Your screen must be different than mine. The power plug is different as well.

Mine definitely uses DC power with the regular color wires.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK