VOGONS

First post, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

I have a Gigabyte GA-6BX7+ motherboard and would like to upgrade the CPU.
According to Gigabytes website, the Pentium III 1.1GHz and the Celeron 1.1GHz (Coppermine) are the fastest FSB100 CPUs supported on this board.
In order to run this CPU at the correct frequency, one has to adjust a set of dip switches.
The problem is, that the frequency table in the manual only lists the multiplier up to 9.5. The Celeron 1100 however has a multiplier of 11.0.
Does anyone know, in which order I have to set the Dip switches, to run this processor at the correct speed?
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 14, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CPU has a fixed multiplier, so it should be 11x regardless of what multiplier you've got specified on the motherboard. I think?
Just the voltage and FSB matter with socket 370 CPUs.

Reply 2 of 14, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those CPUs are multiplier locked so ignore the DIP switches, further looking at https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6BX7- … ort#support-cpu it supports a P3-Celeron 1.4G

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-11-22, 16:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Thermalwrong and red-ray
You were right! How silly of me.
Sorry for my stupid thread.

BTW. I don't want to sound rude, but perhaps, you slipped a line red-rey.
It says N/A for the P3-Celeron 1.4G. Besides that, this board does not support Tualatin.

Reply 6 of 14, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got yet another dumb question.
Is there a way to modify this board to allow it working with Tualatin?
I know that adapters exist, but i'm not looking into getting one, because they're pretty rare and expensive.
I've heard, there were some socket 370 and slot1 boards with the 440bx chipset that could be modified to run with Tualatin.
But, i've never seen anyone who tried getting Tualatin to work with this specific board.

Reply 7 of 14, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it can support 1.45v like my P3C-E can, you'd still need a converter or a pin modded Tualatin as I doubt the board is FCPGA2.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 8 of 14, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I should have expressed myself more clearly. I am looking for a pinmod.
Do you happen to know any pinmod, that potentially could work with this board?
Or can you provide me to a source?
Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by Wilius on 2020-11-23, 05:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wilius wrote on 2020-11-23, 05:20:
I should have expressed myself more clearly. I am looking for a pinmod for this board. Do you happen to know any pinmod, that po […]
Show full quote

I should have expressed myself more clearly. I am looking for a pinmod for this board.
Do you happen to know any pinmod, that potentially could work with this board?
Or can you provide me to a source?
Thanks in advance for your help

I'm afraid I won't be able to help you with that.

Good luck though.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 11 of 14, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is easy to modify this board for Tualatin, I had GA-6ZMA (mATX with 440ZX chipset) back in 2004-2005 working with Celeron 1.2 GHZ @ 1.6 Ghz (133 MHz FSB) after I tested few samples, B steping worked well.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 12 of 14, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool, that sounds intriguing! Can you please tell me, what exactly you modified on this board?
Is this mod only working for Slot1 Boards, or does it also work on socket 370 boards as well?

Reply 13 of 14, by slartibardfast0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wilius wrote on 2020-11-26, 13:23:

Cool, that sounds intriguing! Can you please tell me, what exactly you modified on this board?
Is this mod only working for Slot1 Boards, or does it also work on socket 370 boards as well?

Hi! I'm not sure if it's permitted to post eBay links? But this summer I purchased a pre modified Celeron Tualatin CPU for a slot key adapter on an ASUS 440 BX from this user, really recommend their work!

https://ebay.ie/usr/user8012