VOGONS

First post, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I went ahead and installed Windows 98 on a machine built around my newly acquired Asus P5A. BIOS version is 1011.005 (Beta).
During setup I recognized that the PS/2 mouse was not working but I wasn't too worried and used the keyboard to navigate the setup.
But even after the installation was finished, Windows wasn't able to detect the PS/2 mouse.

There's a BIOS setting called "PS/2 Mouse Function Control". Here's the excerpt from the manual:

PS/2 Mouse Function Control (Auto)
The setting of Auto allows the system to detect a PS/2 Mouse on bootup.
If detected, IRQ12 will be used for the PS/2 Mouse. If not detected, IRQ12
will be reserved for expansion cards. Enabled will reserve IRQ12 for the
PS/2 Mouse.

When setting it to Auto, Windows won't recognize the PS/2 port at all. Setting it to Enabled makes Windows detect the port as a new device, but it will show as not working in the device manager. Removing and re-installing the device in the device manager won't help.

So I took a DOS boot floppy with CuteMouse to try something different, but to no avail.

There is no visible damage to the PCB around the PS/2 ports or to the connectors.

I'd rather avoid using the machine with a serial mouse (which is detected by CuteMouse without issues), so any help would be appreciated.

My retro computers

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be a blown fuse on the motherboard. Verify that you are getting power from the power pin on the PS/2 port.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What mouse are you using?
I just bought an Asus P5A rev 1.04 last week, and I had the most bizarre issue: Windows would freeze during boot (at the loading screen), or, if I tried to install it from scratch, Windows setup would also freeze even before starting (at the "Copying files needed for Windows" step)

I basically lost a whole day trying to debug the issue, replaced (almost) EVERYTHING multiple times (video cards, RAM, HDDs of various capacities & PATA cables), but the problem would not go away.
Finally, I started thinking outside the box, and wondered if I was using any device which was not "period correct" for this platform... and immediately I thought of the PS/2 optical mouse.
Removed the mouse and I finally reached the Windows 98 desktop (and even Windows setup was loading properly).

After that, I replaced the optical mouse with a 20 year old classical mouse with a ball, and everything works great.
What's strange is that I used this optical mouse with HUNDREDS of motherboards (socket 3, socket 7, super socket 7, etc) and I never saw anything like this.
My guess is that this board is not able to deliver the power needed by a more "modern" mouse, which is why it can behave erratically.

Anyway, not sure if your situation is the same or not, but thought I'd just mention the problem I had, maybe someone else will face a similar issue 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 7, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your PS/2 port is really broken, you can get an adapter for your serial port to make a PS/2 mouse work there instead:
https://www.serdashop.com/PS2TOSERIAL

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 4 of 7, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your input, guys!
I finally found some time to have a closer look at the board again and discovered that there are some damaged SMD parts that I didn't notice before.
Measuring the voltages, it turned out that the PS/2 port voltage varies between +1.5V and +3.5V depending on the combination of different keyboards and mice that I plug in (the optical mouse that probably draws most power causes the voltage to drop to +1.5V). The USB ports get nice and stable +5.0V and both fuses are OK.

P5A damaged SMD parts.jpg
Filename
P5A damaged SMD parts.jpg
File size
916.59 KiB
Views
File comment
P5A damaged SMD parts near USB ports
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In the above picture, R11 is defective. (R12 is missing, but looking on some hi-res pictures of the board online, it seems that it wasn't populated in the first place.)
Capacitors C27 + C28 and coils L9 + L10 are damaged, too. These clearly belong to the USB ports and shouldn't have any impact on the functionality of the PS/2 ports, but it explains why Windows wouldn't detect a USB mouse either.

P5A near PS2 ports.jpg
Filename
P5A near PS2 ports.jpg
File size
678.21 KiB
Views
File comment
PCB area near PS2 ports
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The parts near the PS/2 ports look OK though.

So I'd say a likely cause for the voltage at the PS/2 ports being too low is R11.
I'd like to go ahead and try to replace all the parts, but the challenge is that all the values are unknown... I am not an electrical engineer or something, so I probably wouldn't succeed in reverse-engineering the circuits to determine the correct values. All I can do is probably try out some random values and see if it works. *sigh*

My retro computers

Reply 5 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ones designated with L are not resistors but inductors.

I can measure the resistors on one of my boards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I replaced the caps and inductors near the USB port with some that I salvaged from the USB circuitry of a dead Mobo so the values should be more or less similar.
R12 was mechanically damaged and when I desoldered it, the solder pad came off so I had no chance to solder in a replacement. Since R11 seems to be in parallel to R12 though, I populated it with the closest match that I had at hand, 120 kOhm.

Nothing had changed in regards of PS/2 voltage being too low, so I poked around with the multimeter some more and discovered that L1 caused the voltage to drop from 5V to something between 1.5 and 3.5V depending on the devices connected. So I desoldered it and replaced it with an inductor from the PS/2 power supply circuit of the donor board - voilà, perfectly stable 5V at the PS/2 ports. Upon desoldering, L1 had broken into two parts immediately, so it must have been cracked before, causing the voltage drop.

Now the optical mouse lights up just fine, but still isn‘t recognized by CuteMouse or Windows. Meh. Might try an older ball mouse, but usually the optical one works with PCs of this vintage just fine.
Edit: 1999 Logitech ball mouse doesn't work either.

My retro computers