What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2460 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2020-11-27, 18:08:

I remember reading in another thread here that it took a 600Mhz P3 to play fullscreen SVGA completely smoothly.

Out of interest I installed it on my Cyrix MII 300 (233MHz) which runs Duke3D smoothly in SVGA, and Blood pretty well too. CM is definitely playable but not as smooth as I'd like if I was serious about playing it - I'd break out the PIII for sure. Same as System Shock - playable to but noticeably laggy these days.

I really like the idea of CM but I've never given it the time of day either for some reason, despite being a fan of FPS from that era. It's more than a FPS I guess, maybe that's the problem - I wanted my DOOMs!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2461 of 5847, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Football Manager 2021 Mobile. Starting a renovation/revolution in Barcelona squad.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2462 of 5847, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played through Wasteland 3 for the first time. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an RPG this much.

Attachments

• 20201127221339_1.jpg
    Filename
    20201127221339_1.jpg
    File size
    483.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2463 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote on 2020-11-28, 10:54:

Played through Wasteland 3 for the first time. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an RPG this much.

Good to know! What about it was most enjoyable?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2464 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-11-28, 00:16:

I remember reading in another thread here that it took a 600Mhz P3 to play fullscreen SVGA completely smoothly.

Out of interest I installed it on my Cyrix MII 300 (233MHz) which runs Duke3D smoothly in SVGA, and Blood pretty well too. CM is definitely playable but not as smooth as I'd like if I was serious about playing it - I'd break out the PIII for sure. Same as System Shock - playable to but noticeably laggy these days.

Doesn't CM run on the same engine as or a equivalent engine as System Shock? Because, I do know it takes a lot of horse power to run System Shock in a SVGA mode.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2465 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-11-28, 14:12:
badmojo wrote on 2020-11-28, 00:16:

Doesn't CM run on the same engine as or a equivalent engine as System Shock? Because, I do know it takes a lot of horse power to run System Shock in a SVGA mode.

The engine looks and feels very similar to SS. I think CM is a little heavier though, just going by gut feel playing both games on same hardware.

Reply 2466 of 5847, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-11-28, 11:23:

Good to know! What about it was most enjoyable?

Building a squad of min-max characters that actually have specific roles, moral choices that matter and aren't black/white.
Really filled the emptiness that the new Fallout games left.

My builds!

Reply 2467 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was Wasteland 2 enjoyable for you?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2468 of 5847, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-28, 20:47:

Was Wasteland 2 enjoyable for you?

Haven't actually played it, despite owning it...its my next game on the "to play" list now.

My builds!

Reply 2469 of 5847, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. I'm near the end.

I literally got tired from playing that game because of how hard it is. Also it's much longer than Maniac Mansion.

Reply 2470 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've progressed quite a bit in Pillars of Eternity. I finished White Marsh Pt.1 and the Endless Paths of Od Nua. I ended up killing Od Nua and the Adra Dragon.

BD5D6C0525187AD519D0E96630575035965A432B

Now I can wrap up Act II, and all my party will be Level 13. Then I'll take a detour to do White Marsh Pt.2, kill the Alpine Dragon that kicked my ass first time I tried it, and finally blitz through Acts III and IV. 80 hours in, this is a long game to 100% with the DLC, will probably end up taking 120hrs or so of my time but it was well worth it.

I look forward to playing Tyranny next. Then I'll probably buy and play Torment: Tides of Numenera before proceeding to Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire.

Reply 2471 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@appiah4 - nice! I just played the main campaign (no DLC) and it took me 80.5 hours. Glad you're enjoying 100%ing it. 😀

Reply 2472 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CyberMage
I just finished Dead Man's Zone, which was a tough level. I had my first encounter with Necrom as well as participated in a battle with fellow solders against Necrom's forces. Now I'm in The Tunnels. I love the level variety in this game, and the graphics are stunning for a DOS game:

cm-1.JPG
Filename
cm-1.JPG
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cm-2.JPG
Filename
cm-2.JPG
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So far I've sunk 14.5 hours into this game. I believe I'm about 2/3 to 3/4 through this game, and it's been a joy. The keyboard controls are actually quite good once you get used to them. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about playing a FPS without a mouse, but it's working out well.

Reply 2473 of 5847, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currently I'm going through the backlog games that have come out recently to find out what kind of DRM they have and how to play them without the DRM. Tons of fun.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2474 of 5847, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah Dead Man's Zone is when the war against Necrom is getting hot and where I became really invested.
A cat man tells me to go out and hurt some butts ? Right on !

The corporate building level is my favorite. It feels so ominous and "Deus Ex-y".
By the second playthrough it feels almost cozy (maybe because of the lights and the blue carpeted hallways). 😁

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2020-12-05, 21:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2475 of 5847, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last night I completed Red Dead Redemption 2. Great world and characters attached to a pretty good game. I could ride around on my horse in first person for hours.

I'm back on Kerbal Space Program now designing more dumb shit that won't ever go to space. Some previous dumb shit:

I made a car with with a working front engine, rear drive "driveshaft"

eFXkhDv.gif

What else... oh yeah that time I made an aircraft carrier with a crane based on the earliest air craft carrier designs where planes didn't land back on the ship and were instead fished out of the water...

vf8xdmI.gif

And before robotics came along and made rotating parts built-in to the game, I made basic propellers

gWbI35x.gif

If any of you play KSP that is...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2476 of 5847, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love KSP I was playing today and had to do a rescue mission on the MUN which went well and then I was doing a crewed rover to Duna which went very very wrong. I somehow messed up my landing burn and slammed into the surface of Duna at 250M/s and through out the whole flight for whatever reason never quick saved and well I now get to do it all over again. Hopefully my Eve missions with a crewed lander go alot better. I honestly think KSP is one of my all time favorite games. My almost 6 year old son loves it as well and he is actually quite good at it.

Reply 2477 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I completed Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones just now.

Overall, I liked it! It took just under 15 hours to complete, and I am fine with that. Not every RPG has to be a 60-hour epic.

Although the world sometimes feels like a Lovecraft theme park (some of the quests are taken 100% from individual Lovecraft stories), the game does have a great creepy atmosphere thanks to the excellent music and chilling sound effects. I enjoyed the resource management in the game—in addition to health, you have to keep an eye on your sanity level, light (for exploring dark areas), and camping supplies (for resting to restore spent resources). You also build up "angst" no matter what, which slowly drives your character insane; each time you max out angst you have to select a debilitation for your character. It sounds annoying, but it fits the theme and it's not really that punishing... I ended the game with three levels of angst, an alcohol addiction, and a mental illness where dialog choices would randomly be replaced with ravings and inappropriate outbursts.

Although I though 15 hours was the perfect length, I would have liked there to have been more optional content. The game appears nonlinear (indeed, you can solve the early few quests in any order), but every quest is basically mandatory as far as I can tell. It's got a really interesting character system, so some optional content would have really made replays interesting.

Reply 2478 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finished Act II of Pillars of Eternity and with a Level 13 party at the conclusion of Act II it feels like the rest of the game will be a faceroll. The developers seem to have implemented a level scaling option for Act III and White March Pt. 2. How well that works, I don't know, but at least it would give me more meaningful XP. Regardless, it will probably end up being the only game I get to finish in 2020 at this rate. At this point I can say that this game checked all the boxes I needed for a grand old school RPG epic, it reminds me of all the good parts of Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights 2. If you enjoyed any of these games, please get this game in the next season sale and play it.

Reply 2479 of 5847, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Doom2 for the first time...with the 2 secret levels for the firs time too. Might do a speed/secret run through one day...but not today.

Started playing "I have no Mouth and I must Scream" on this same PC because I wanted to find something adventury from 95 with Midi music.