VOGONS

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This week I received a voodoo 1 and a voodoo 2 card. Seller had it stored away for years and couldn't test them any more.

The voodoo 2 turned out to be working fine (yay!) But the voodoo 1 didn't. It seems there were two problems.
1. One leg of the 500-0004-02 chip was bent and touched the leg next to it.
2. Capacitor C130 is missing (clearly broken off).

1 was easy to fix, with a little knife and some careful bending.

2 will be fixable if I know what capacitor is needed. But I haven't got a clue.

Does anybody know?

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20201121223357253.jpg
    Filename
    CameraZOOM-20201121223357253.jpg
    File size
    779.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    full card - front
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • CameraZOOM-20201121223415373.jpg
    Filename
    CameraZOOM-20201121223415373.jpg
    File size
    752.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    full card - back
    File license
  • IMG-20201121-WA0032.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG-20201121-WA0032.jpeg
    File size
    729.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    C130 and C131
    File license

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 1 of 16, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ditto for me , I'm in the same boat , I've ended up buying a non working voodoo 1 (being the cheapskate that I am) , 4mb model and there's some missing capacitors ,
the tantalum ones are marked so that's fine but does anyone know the values of these little brown ones (C167)?

I already de soldered 2 , one of them fell apart , but I'm not sure the measurements are right (bit of a noob) I got like 1150 picofarads on the capacitance meter.

Maybe someone has some schematics or parts diagrams for the both of us or just knows the values offhand?

Attachments

• VFX.jpg
    Filename
    VFX.jpg
    File size
    439.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2020-11-27, 09:54:

Ditto for me , I'm in the same boat ,

For both of you guys, not all cards follow the same design with the same components. Your best bet is someone having an identical card so he can check the values for you. I don't think you can find a photo online with the values readable.

The first card is an A-Trend, for the second one a full photo would help identifying/recognizing the card. I believe it's a Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D ?

Reply 4 of 16, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2020-11-27, 09:54:
Ditto for me , I'm in the same boat , I've ended up buying a non working voodoo 1 (being the cheapskate that I am) , 4mb model a […]
Show full quote

Ditto for me , I'm in the same boat , I've ended up buying a non working voodoo 1 (being the cheapskate that I am) , 4mb model and there's some missing capacitors ,
the tantalum ones are marked so that's fine but does anyone know the values of these little brown ones (C167)?

I already de soldered 2 , one of them fell apart , but I'm not sure the measurements are right (bit of a noob) I got like 1150 picofarads on the capacitance meter.

Maybe someone has some schematics or parts diagrams for the both of us or just knows the values offhand?

Actually it looks like our cards follow the same layout. Same place with same numbers for components. It seems my broken C130 matches the C202, C204 and C140 for example.

This is a great help to me, since I can pop off one or two of them to retrieve it's value somehow.

In your case, the broken cap seems to be the same kind, but can't tell for sure based on my overview pic. I've added a somewhat better pic from that area to compare.

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 16, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lighter caps should be 10nf, darker - 100nf, they are soldered in parallel pairs. Guys, this kind of cap question is all over the Vogons, no need to create a n-th thread, those caps don't play a major role in card's operation, it's there just to filter out any high freq. ripple in the Vcc lines.

Reply 6 of 16, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I think it might be same capacitor missing as yours but I'm not 100% sure. Layout deffo seems to be a match to your card tho.

Also yeah sorry I figured the caps were more important than I thought they were , like I said im a bit of a layman when it comes to dealing with voltages, capacitance , power regulation and whatnot.

Also hey kixs nice to see ya again , im someguy on the amibay forum.

And yeah konc you're right it is a Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D.

Reply 7 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's of any help... here are the back sides of both cards:

U0I6jHJb.jpg

@AppleSauce:
I'm all over the place 😉 Would never guess it's you with this nickname 🤣 and BTW... Welcome to Vogons 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 16, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@kixs
I know right , you've got a crazy amount of posts.
Bit of an improved nickname vs someguy but still very boring , I'm just not really creative I guess xD
but yeah thanks I'm glad to finally have joined instead of just lurking for years.

Reply 9 of 16, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all, I'm pretty sure now which cap I need to desolder and measure it's capacity.

My multimeter, by the way, doesn't support measuring uF but I can borrow one that does. So that's resolved 😉

I'll start when I got the other multimeter, so the cap in going to desolder won't vanish spontaneously 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 11 of 16, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-11-30, 15:14:

Thanks all, I'm pretty sure now which cap I need to desolder and measure it's capacity.

My multimeter, by the way, doesn't support measuring uF but I can borrow one that does. So that's resolved 😉

I'll start when I got the other multimeter, so the cap in going to desolder won't vanish spontaneously 😀

Did ya figure out what capacitor was the correct one in the end?

Reply 12 of 16, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As SSTV2 mentioned, these values are not that critical. Anyway, here are the values for the missing caps from VFX.jpg:

C211, C188, C167 10nF 25V 0805 X7R
C165 100nF 25V 0805 X7R
C231, C26 2.2-4.7uF >=10V 1206 X7R

And from IMG-20201121-WA0032.jpeg (first post):

C130 10nF 25V 0805 X7R
C131 100nF 25V 0805 X7R

Reply 13 of 16, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest: I've been busy with another project: excavating my backyard. Also quite fun to play with heavy machinery, but it's taken all of my time during the holidays.

So have figured it out? Not yet unfortunately, but if/when I do: I'll let you all know for sure!

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 14 of 16, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All right, I've managed to solder a new c0805 and there's at least some progress.

Using the default Windows 98 voodoo driver there's about 10-20sec of action when I run 3D Mark 99. The image is artifacting a lot and after this time, the whole system freezes.
Trying different drivers (latest reference drivers, some brand drivers) won't improve this.

My testing system is:
PC chips M577 (SS7) with an AMD K6-2 400 (4x100) and 64MB SDRAM (pc100), ATI Rage Pro AGP, and 5GB Quantum Fireball ST.
Windows 98 SE was freshly installed along with DirectX 8.
Running the system at 266MHz (4x66) does not improve anything. Switching the Rage Pro to a Diamond Speedster A70 didn't help anything.
Running 3D Mark 99 with the Rage finishes without any problem.

I've been told the artifacting can be bad mem (or it can't keep the pace) and system freezes may be caused by too much demand on the GPU chips.

I'm going to look into the oc tool to actually underclock the card and see if that's of any help.

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 15 of 16, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a while, but I've had a little progress:

I put the card in my IBM 300PL, which needed a reinstall any way.
At first it had the stock windows 98 Voodoo driver installed and wouldn't do anything.
Then I updated the driver with the one that's been provided by A trend (which is actually older according to windows, but who cares) and updated to DX9c (on a P233MMX and Matrix Mistique, another who cares)

Now the card actually works 😁
It seems the PC chips board was either to fast or something. I'll keep the Voodoo in this computer, it performs OK 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...