VOGONS

MCA card in VLB slot

Topic actions

First post, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was intrigued by one of Tubetime's jokes. What would happen if you put an MCA card in a VLB slot and then powered on?

Reply 1 of 10, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IDK how to read a pinout. I looked them up but have no idea how to read it.

Reply 2 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bad idea

Reply 3 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Smoke! Damaged parts! Don´t try this at home!

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dead motherboard and card(s), if you're unlucky.

Feel lucky, punk?:P

Reply 6 of 10, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you do this with the pictured rare MCA sound board it is worse than just burning money.
Every Microchannel enthusiast will hate you until your end of days.

Reply 7 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like putting your finger in the garbage disposal unit. It will fit but it's going to be painful.

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eisapc wrote on 2020-12-01, 09:42:

If you do this with the pictured rare MCA sound board it is worse than just burning money.

Fortunately, that's not a rare MCA sound board, but a replica, designed by TubeTime himself. Thanks to him you can get MCA sound (AdLib with this Plaid Bib or more recently Soundblaster with his Snark Barker MCA) easily and cheaply. So if anyone has the right to fry that particular card, it's him 😀

Edit: the card behind it is a Snark Barker - another one of his - as well. Only 'rare' thing that would get fried here is the generic VLB motherboard.

Reply 9 of 10, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-12-01, 07:27:

Do it! I dare you!

I would accept that dare but I don't have a VESA Local Bus motherboard or a 16 bit MCA card, only 32 bit MCA cards.

Reply 10 of 10, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-12-01, 12:23:
eisapc wrote on 2020-12-01, 09:42:

Fortunately, that's not a rare MCA sound board, but a replica, designed by TubeTime himself. Thanks to him you can get MCA sound (AdLib with this Plaid Bib or more recently Soundblaster with his Snark Barker MCA) easily and cheaply. So if anyone has the right to fry that particular card, it's him 😀

Edit: the card behind it is a Snark Barker - another one of his - as well. Only 'rare' thing that would get fried here is the generic VLB motherboard.

I know! It's so awesome!