VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was there ever a version of Dune or Dune II with PAS(16), Ensoniq Soundscape, SB16 & AWE32 support, or is this just a case of mobygames being unreliable?
There is a compilation release of Dune/Dune II from 1995, which was seemingly limited to French-speaking territories. According to the spec sheet it had support for the aforementioned standards.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dune-dune- … e-pack/techinfo

Before I go on a pointless hunt for the compilation release, 'tis truth or fiction?
frakes.png

On another note, if this only refers to adlib/SB compatibility, then I guess a lot of the games listed on moby with PAS(16) support might actually be limited to just the mono SB/Thunder portion of it?

Reply 1 of 4, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dune 2 uses real mode AIL drivers, you know the Inês with .ADV extension. The drivers are packed in the sound.pak file. There are .ADV drivers for the PAS, but i never ever encountered an .ADV driver for the Ensoniq Soundscape.

Reply 2 of 4, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The compilation also lists General Midi support for some reason. I did find the iso online, so that will at least save my wallet from a likely blunder. I was hoping I could use an AWE card for the OPL3 soundtrack in Dune I, but if that option ever did exist, someone would have probably noticed during the past 25 years.

Reply 3 of 4, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because its a compilation they mix Sound support from both games. Dune 1 will only support Sound Blaster for digital and OPL2, OPL3 and MT-32 for music. Dune 2 can support multiple, because it uses Audio Interface Library drivers. Still, i don't believe in Ensoniq Soundscape support. I've never seen a Soundcape .ADV driver.