VOGONS

First post, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a Fujitsu Lifebook C325 and restored it to life. As much as I like this machine, it has a Trident 9388 chip onboard, which suffers from the dreaded scrambled/split screen bug in several DOS games (Asterix & Obelix and Inner Worlds here):

5V0flc2.png

yMPJCip.png

I tried running UniVBE 6.7 to see if that changes anything, but sadly it doesn't recognize the chip as a supported card. I've heard there's supposedly a modified univbe.drv driver, that has support for these Trident chips, but I couldn't find any that would work. Any idea or hint if that issue's even fixable on this card?

Reply 1 of 9, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for doubleposting, but I just couldn't leave it alone and decided to dig further into the world of old Trident chips. While looking around for any clues, I stumbled upon an old DOS utility disk, with several interesting programs, like SETPCI or SETBOARD. There was also one called SVM, that let me choose a video mode:

bkyH6vs.png

Curiously, when I chose 320x200 @ 256 colours right from the get go, it resulted in a garbled screen, like the one above. However when I chose 320x200 @ 16 colours first, and then the 256 mode, it actually worked... Even the aforementioned games started working again!

kSPzWD7.png

What's left for me to figure out is the bottom display in Inner Worlds, as it's still garbled, but at least the game itself seems to be running just fine! Any ideas for this particular problem?

Reply 2 of 9, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kurasiu wrote on 2020-12-11, 18:26:
Sorry for doubleposting, but I just couldn't leave it alone and decided to dig further into the world of old Trident chips. Whil […]
Show full quote

Sorry for doubleposting, but I just couldn't leave it alone and decided to dig further into the world of old Trident chips. While looking around for any clues, I stumbled upon an old DOS utility disk, with several interesting programs, like SETPCI or SETBOARD. There was also one called SVM, that let me choose a video mode:

bkyH6vs.png

Curiously, when I chose 320x200 @ 256 colours right from the get go, it resulted in a garbled screen, like the one above. However when I chose 320x200 @ 16 colours first, and then the 256 mode, it actually worked... Even the aforementioned games started working again!

kSPzWD7.png

What's left for me to figure out is the bottom display in Inner Worlds, as it's still garbled, but at least the game itself seems to be running just fine! Any ideas for this particular problem?

...Possible hardware issue (maybe bad VRAM or caps)? I have a ThinkPad 560E with a Trident Providia Cyber9382 (an earlier version of the 9388) and I didn’t see any issues whatsoever with the 2 games you mentioned - didn’t even need the utility to set the correct video mode first.

Reply 3 of 9, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's a hardware bug. My Lifebook C325 shows exactly the same symptoms.

I solved most of it by changing to video mode 0x13 (320x200 pixels, 256 colors) twice in a row, which fixes the garbled screen (Asterix & Obelix) and half-height (Inner Worlds title screen) issues displayed in the first post. I wrote myself a .COM file containing the following assembly instructions:

mov ah, 0Fh
int 10h ;get video mode
push ax
mov ax, 13h
int 10h ;set video mode 13h
mov ax, 13h
pop ax
mov ah, 0
int 10h ;change back to previous video mode
mov ax, 4C00h
int 21h ;quit to DOS (exit code 0)
Filename
fixvga.zip
File size
176 Bytes
Downloads
77 downloads
File license
Public domain

FIXVGA.COM is now part of my AUTOEXEC.BAT on that Lifebook. After this is run, the system displays most VGA games (Doom, Wolf3D, Monkey Island 1+2) fine right from the start. The COM file is actually just 25 bytes, adding it to a zip archive increased the size quite a bit.

As for the problem with the garbled stuff at the bottom of the screen (Inner Worlds in-game screen), that's a something I haven't been able to fix. The hardware doesn't seem to support the EGA/VGA split screen feature. Many games that have some sort of a status bar at the bottom of the screen use the split screen feature. Games using this feature include Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Catacomb 3D (also Abyss, Apocalypse and Armageddon), Hovertank, Vinyl Goddess from Mars and, given your pics, Inner Worlds. There might be even more games out there that rely on the split screen feature, these are just the ones I've come across so far.

Reply 4 of 9, by ali90taz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
K1n9_Duk3 wrote on 2020-12-12, 22:14:
I think it's a hardware bug. My Lifebook C325 shows exactly the same symptoms. […]
Show full quote

I think it's a hardware bug. My Lifebook C325 shows exactly the same symptoms.

I solved most of it by changing to video mode 0x13 (320x200 pixels, 256 colors) twice in a row, which fixes the garbled screen (Asterix & Obelix) and half-height (Inner Worlds title screen) issues displayed in the first post. I wrote myself a .COM file containing the following assembly instructions:

mov ah, 0Fh
int 10h ;get video mode
push ax
mov ax, 13h
mov ax, 13h
pop ax
mov ah, 0
int 10h ;change back to previous video mode
mov ax, 4C00h
int 21h ;quit to DOS (exit code 0)

fixvga.zip
FIXVGA.COM is now part of my AUTOEXEC.BAT on that Lifebook. After this is run, the system displays most VGA games (Doom, Wolf3D, Monkey Island 1+2) fine right from the start. The COM file is actually just 25 bytes, adding it to a zip archive increased the size quite a bit.

As for the problem with the garbled stuff at the bottom of the screen (Inner Worlds in-game screen), that's a something I haven't been able to fix. The hardware doesn't seem to support the EGA/VGA split screen feature. Many games that have some sort of a status bar at the bottom of the screen use the split screen feature. Games using this feature include Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Catacomb 3D (also Abyss, Apocalypse and Armageddon), Hovertank, Vinyl Goddess from Mars and, given your pics, Inner Worlds. There might be even more games out there that rely on the split screen feature, these are just the ones I've come across so far.

Thanks for that 😃, it solved the video bug in 13h mode for my Fujitsu E330, I was already getting sad thinking it was a problem in the video memories, it would be terrible as I found out that in Cyber9388 the video memory is contained inside the BGA.

Reply 6 of 9, by KenjiUmino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lifebook C345 owner here - I do have the same issues since this machine also has the Trident 9388 video chip ... and the UGLIEST scaling I have ever seen on a laptop monitor when it comes to non-integer ratios.

on the positive side:
- it has a fully DOS compatible ES1879 sound "card" (yeah, the sound hardware really is on its own PCB)
- CPU speed and RAM size are right on the spot for win9x and late DOS games
- it takes two PCMCIA cards (I have a CF adapter with a 64gig card in the bottom slot for my game CD isos and a 2x usb 2.0 card in the top slot for fast & easy file transfer)
- and it is built like a tank. (it certainly is as heavy)

I noticed the issue with the trident when I tried to run a couple of benchmarks from phil's dosbench pack.

quake @ 640x480 produced totally garbled jailbar ridden graphics like on the OP's first picture, Doom had a split screen thing going with the full image squished in the upper half, and the same image again but with heavy flickering in the lower half of the screen.

fixvga helped to get a perfect image in doom but quake now refuses to run 640x480 it seems - it DOES start up and show a clear picture now, but it must be switchting back to 320x200 because I get the same fps score as in 320x200 mode - that can't be right, right?

the PC Player Benchmark does run @ 640x480 with only some minor glitches left after running fixvga - it still shows jailbar glitches on the very top and bottom of the screen but no comparison to the unrecogniseable mess it showed before.

anyhow, I just wanted to say "thank you K1n9_Duk3"

Reply 7 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an NEC SX with this Trident 9388 and found this VESA TSR that improves compatibility in some modes; PC Player Benchmark at 640x480, for example. But it does not fix the issue with Inner Worlds.

https://www.idealine.info/pcdrivers/TRIDENT/

Thanks to liqmat for the link.

The BIOS on my card must be different, as I don't have any issue with the Inner Worlds title screen, Doom, Quake, or Duke Nukem with or without this compatibility TSR or FIXVGA.

Attachments

• Filename
    VESA.ZIP
    File size
    9.15 KiB
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for making this thread, and many thanks to K1n9_Duk3 for the the fixvga utility. The fixvga.com worked for me on a Fujitsu Lifebook E350 with a Trident 9388 video chip.

It was giving similar display to the first picture for most games, but I found that starting and exiting a game a couple of times would resolve the problem, which is what the fixvga.com file does essentially 😀
I notice it only seems to do this in actual DOS, doesn't have so much trouble displaying things when starting games from Windows' dos-box.

That VESA utility also clears up the remaining display issues that I could see like the pcplayer benchmark 😀 I was unaware of that cache of drivers.