VOGONS

Socket 370 with ISA best motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by Bogdan55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to have a Win98se desktop that i got rid of (pentium II) but I kept the components including a SoundBlaster Gold with 24MB ram.
Reading the forum, I understand a socket 370 is probably the best match (I need to run win98), however I won't be able to use a 1.4 Tualatin (it seems there are no mb with isa with this cpu).
My question is, what would be the best mb and cpu combination for this setup?

would this mb be a good choice at this time

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Advance-QDI … te/293858092828

On another note, the video card I have is a Matrox Millenium II with the 3d add on with a bad 3d reputation. What 3d card should look for.

Reply 1 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reading the forum, I understand a socket 370 is probably the best match (I need to run win98), however I won't be able to use a 1.4 Tualatin (it seems there are no mb with isa with this cpu

Option 1:
Buy motherboard with VIA 694T chipset, plenty of those had one ISA slot.

Option 2:
Mod Tualatin CPU to work with older motherboards. Or buy one already modded from ebay.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 27, by Bogdan55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brownk wrote on 2020-12-14, 07:26:

Option 3:
Build an industrial PC w/ as many ISA + PCI slot combo as you wish. There's no such thing as "too many slots". 😎

I understand those industrial ones don't support dma natively. And i need win98se.

Reply 4 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bogdan55 wrote on 2020-12-14, 07:37:

Option 3:
Build an industrial PC w/ as many ISA + PCI slot combo as you wish. There's no such thing as "too many slots". 😎

I understand those industrial ones don't support dma natively. And i need win98se.

This is wrong. Even Socket 478 Pentium 4 industrial boards support ISA DMA.

There are also S370 boards that natively support Tualatin and have ISA...I have a dual.socket one... But the model I have doesn't have AGP but there are some that have AGP and ISA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Option 3:

Depends on the PCI-ISA bridge chip. ITE chips definitely do. I have a Tualatin P3-1400S on exactly that kind of card with ISA sound card to prove the point 😉

Reply 7 of 27, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just buy some nice BX motherboard (like Asus P3B-F, P2B later revisions, similar ones from Abit, Gigabyte etc) and modify a slocket to use Tualatin, will run nicely at 133MHz FSB too, only thing is that AGP will be at 89 MHz which is no problem on 99% nVidia cards and 3DFx cards. Most ATI cards do not like that though.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 8 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bogdan55 wrote on 2020-12-14, 08:12:

This is wrong. Even Socket 478 Pentium 4 industrial boards support ISA DMA.

will they run win98se ?

Yep, most definitely. Even boards with newer chipsets will run Win98SE.

It does depend on the south bridge (ICH5 is last) and the PCI-ISA bridge on whether or not you will get ISA DMA though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 27, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had good experience with Chaintech 6VIA5T mainboard, mATX form factor, AGP, PCI, 1 ISA slot. Via 694T chipset. I've been using CL2 133MHz memory to improve transfers a bit. I guess other mobos with 694T should work fine too.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 11 of 27, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To each their own but Via chipsets are not the best performers with Pentium III, also are glitchy. Pretty much best performer is 440BX (excluding i840 and SiS DDR one).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 12 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love my Ipox IP-3ETI23

Pluses :
- 3 ISA slots with DMA support (ITE8888 PCI ISA bridge)
- Tualatin support
- onboard Ethernet

Minuses :
- ISA DMA does not work with Interwave (GUS PnP, etc) cards, but works fine with everything else that I have tried, including GF1 (classic GUS), SB16/AWE32/AWE64, CS4237 (Orpheus), YMF715E (Audiotrix 3D/XG) and Opti 929 (Turtle Beach Monte Carlo rev. 2)
- Does not have working NMI support as far as AWE32/AWE64 DOS MPU-401 to EMU8000 re-direction is concerned (aweutil /EM does not work). Re-direction works fine for DOS applications running under Windows 98SE . I do not recall if I have tried MegaEM or SBOS, but I doubt they would work either due to the same NMI issue .

Unfortunately, these boards are not easy to find these days .

Reply 13 of 27, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-12-14, 08:59:

Option 3:

Depends on the PCI-ISA bridge chip. ITE chips definitely do. I have a Tualatin P3-1400S on exactly that kind of card with ISA sound card to prove the point 😉

+1 on the ITE PCI-ISA bridge chip, Pentium 3 rig in my sig has an AWE64 Gold attached via that.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 14 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mastergamma12 wrote on 2020-12-14, 22:46:
dionb wrote on 2020-12-14, 08:59:

+1 on the ITE PCI-ISA bridge chip, Pentium 3 rig in my sig has an AWE64 Gold attached via that.

ISA DMA support depends on
- Motherboard chipset
- PCI ISA bridge used
- Motherboard design

Some industrial boards get it right, others do not and others yet require BIOS and/or hardware mods for ISA DMA to work. A search for "industrial" "ISA" "DMA" on vogons will yield some working and non working examples .

The Ipox IP-3ETI23 is an example of an industrial board with working ISA DMA (except for the Interwave incompatibility mentioned before).

Reply 15 of 27, by Bogdan55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thank you for the overwhelming support.

Yes, I did not find a Ipox IP-3ETI23. And I do find getting a new industrial board appealing since I don't have to recap the mb.
However the price is steep.

How about this 440BX board that Paadam mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P2B-REV-1-10-Sl … bsAAOSw96FfuwE9

Reply 16 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bogdan55 wrote on 2020-12-15, 09:11:
Wow, thank you for the overwhelming support. […]
Show full quote

Wow, thank you for the overwhelming support.

Yes, I did not find a Ipox IP-3ETI23. And I do find getting a new industrial board appealing since I don't have to recap the mb.
However the price is steep.

How about this 440BX board that Paadam mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P2B-REV-1-10-Sl … bsAAOSw96FfuwE9

That looks like a great choice, IMHO .
If you stick with a Coppermine CPU, getting a compatible slotket should not be too difficult.

If you want to use a Tualatin chip, a modded slotket or one of the rare already compatible ones will be required . The VRM used on the board might not handle the voltage a Tualatin requires. The extremely rare PowerLeap adapter has its own regulator which would make that a moot point , if you can find one .

EDIT: Asus used fairly good quality caps at least on their higher end boards at that time, so a recap may not be required . My Asus P3B-F uses all Japanese caps, AFAICR, for example.

Reply 17 of 27, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paadam wrote on 2020-12-14, 20:47:

Just buy some nice BX motherboard (like Asus P3B-F, P2B later revisions, similar ones from Abit, Gigabyte etc) and modify a slocket to use Tualatin, will run nicely at 133MHz FSB too, only thing is that AGP will be at 89 MHz which is no problem on 99% nVidia cards and 3DFx cards. Most ATI cards do not like that though.

This. You need a motherboard with a VRM conforming to the newer guidelines, able to supply voltages < 1.8V though. Making sure you're getting one of those involves some research.

The slotket mod is kind of simple. If you get a slotket with selection jumpers for voltages < 1.8V, all you need to do is to remove three pins and reroute the connection for a fourth one. I like the later revisions of the MSI MS-6905, but there are of course other great alternatives too. A couple of years ago, Ebay was basically flooded by those NIB, guess someone found a few pallets of them or something. Perhaps there are still some left for sale?

Managed to run the GF Ti4200 in my Tualeron 1400 rig at 100MHz AGP for months without even noticing, set the AGP divider to 1/1 by mistake 😁 No problems whatsoever. My statistical basis might not be the best, just a few cards, but it's my impression too that early Nvidia cards generally works very well on OCed AGP.

Reply 19 of 27, by Bogdan55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.amazon.com/Powerleap-PL-IP3T-Sloc … r/dp/B004HAS0QK
They want 300$ on Amazon surprisingly/shockingly
But now I know how it looks like

Last edited by Bogdan55 on 2020-12-15, 13:04. Edited 1 time in total.