VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an old PC midi tower that contained a PCI YMF724E-V soundcard.
Trouble is I can't get the card detected in Win98 or WinMe.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=98681

Does this card look like a fake chinese model

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fakes that I have seen look very minimalistic compared to what you have .

Does Windows detect anything when the card is installed ?

How were you able to retrieve the PCI ID ?

Reply 3 of 9, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-12-22, 14:14:

So you think the card itself looks legitimate.

Windows shows unknown device with a yellow ! mark. This is the same with 98, ME and XP .
I got the PCI ID by hitting the pause key during the bios PCI Device Listings (this is before any OS is started). That list also shows it is using IRQ7. I have the bios setting to NO for plug and play OS.

Reply 4 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-22, 14:24:
So you think the card itself looks legitimate. […]
Show full quote

Windows shows unknown device with a yellow ! mark. This is the same with 98, ME and XP .
I got the PCI ID by hitting the pause key during the bios PCI Device Listings (this is before any OS is started). That list also shows it is using IRQ7. I have the bios setting to NO for plug and play OS.

Are you sure that PCI ID is 1073 0040 ? I would have expected something like 1073 0004 .

1073 0040 does not match anything in the YMF724 INF driver files that I got from Vogonsdrivers : http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=692&menustate=0
Then again, if your card's ID is 1073 0040 , that could explain the issue that you are having .

Reply 5 of 9, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-12-22, 14:41:
Are you sure that PCI ID is 1073 0040 ? I would have expected something like 1073 0004 . […]
Show full quote
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-22, 14:24:
So you think the card itself looks legitimate. […]
Show full quote

Are you sure that PCI ID is 1073 0040 ? I would have expected something like 1073 0004 .

1073 0040 does not match anything in the YMF724 INF driver files that I got from Vogonsdrivers : http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=692&menustate=0
Then again, if your card's ID is 1073 0040 , that could explain the issue that you are having .

Yeah it is definitely PCI ID 1073 0040. That is what also got me thinking it was a fake as I can't find any other mention of the ID on the web or in any Yamaha drivers. Also the DOS drivers don't detect it. I'm on an unlucky run with PC parts at the moment.

Reply 6 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-22, 13:58:

I have now tried this on XP and it can't find the card either.
In Dos the SETUPDS utility gives the message "Can't find YAMAHA DS-XG"
The PCI ID is 1073 0040

Try cleaning the PCI connector of your card and reinsert it.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 9, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After trying out more things I've just noticed a strange problem with the card. The card always defaults to IRQ7 and DMA1.
I reserved all IRQs in the bios apart from IRQ5 but the card still uses IRQ7, same with DMA. Reserved all apart from DMA 0 but card uses DMA 1. This is with no other expansion cards in system, only vga and all com/parallel ports off.

I have read conflicting information on vogons and the web that all PCI PNP cards have an eeprom that keeps pnp data. Some say this is not the case, other say all cards must have this to follow pci spec.
I'm not 100% certain but I think the PNP setting of this card are are corrupt and I need to set them back to default.
Is their some way to reset PNP information (IO range, IRQ and DMA) on PCI cards?

Reply 8 of 9, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hate to tell you this, but I've had a lot of YMF724/744/754 cards, and they never behave like this unless they are dead (and I've had a few that had similar symptoms when they died).
For what it's worth, your card/chip are definitely genuine (not that it makes a difference)...

Anyway, the first thing to check is the chip (with a magnifying glass), to make sure that there are no pins touching each other. A few months ago I had an ESS Solo-1 that was seen by Win98 as "unknown PCI device", and I fixed it by detaching a few shorted pins.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 9 of 9, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2020-12-25, 18:43:

Hate to tell you this, but I've had a lot of YMF724/744/754 cards, and they never behave like this unless they are dead (and I've had a few that had similar symptoms when they died).

I have a YMF724F-V card. It works perfectly in Win95 but not in DOS. It says "Can't find YAMAHA DS-XG" when launching Setupds.exe. The PCI ID is 1073 000D. This card is definitely a working one. So how can I make it working in DOS?

724.jpg
Filename
724.jpg
File size
377.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Constantly looking for the driver for Acer Magic v1 MPEG decoding card.