VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have used dgvoodoo to play Midtown Madness, and it is really working great except for the force resolution option, which doesn't force the resolution for the main menu. I would really like If the resolution force works for the main menu because I hate it when the game keeps changing the resolution of my screen whenever I enter the game or go back to the menu as that causes the monitor to keep flashing a lot. Forcing resolution has always worked in the main menu and in-game also for games like Raven Shield and Splinter Cell, and I really would wish if that could work for Midtown Madness. I really love that game and would like to play it in a convenient way. Thanks a lot for working on dgvoodoo. Without it I wouldn't have been able to play my old games on my PC. I really do love playing my old games till this day.

Reply 1 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2020-12-24, 22:24:

I have used dgvoodoo to play Midtown Madness, and it is really working great except for the force resolution option, which doesn't force the resolution for the main menu. I would really like If the resolution force works for the main menu because I hate it when the game keeps changing the resolution of my screen whenever I enter the game or go back to the menu as that causes the monitor to keep flashing a lot. Forcing resolution has always worked in the main menu and in-game also for games like Raven Shield and Splinter Cell, and I really would wish if that could work for Midtown Madness. I really love that game and would like to play it in a convenient way. Thanks a lot for working on dgvoodoo. Without it I wouldn't have been able to play my old games on my PC. I really do love playing my old games till this day.

The Main menu size never changes, it is just a static image. And the game is also made as to not make the options too small on high resolutions. This is also the case for other games like Thief.
The screen flashes because it is transitioning from DirrtDraw to Direct3D and also as the resolution is upscaled.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-12-27, 08:19:

The Main menu size never changes, it is just a static image. And the game is also made as to not make the options too small on high resolutions. This is also the case for other games like Thief.
The screen flashes because it is transitioning from DirrtDraw to Direct3D and also as the resolution is upscaled.

I know the main menu size doesn't change, but dgvoodoo can make the window itself of the game to be set according to the forced resolution. I don't know how to explain this, but It works for Midtown Madness 2 and for many other games like Splinter Cell and R6 Raven Shield but not for Midtown Madness 1.

Reply 3 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2020-12-29, 01:38:

I know the main menu size doesn't change, but dgvoodoo can make the window itself of the game to be set according to the forced resolution. I don't know how to explain this, but It works for Midtown Madness 2 and for many other games like Splinter Cell and R6 Raven Shield but not for Midtown Madness 1.

You could try it at windowed mode to see if the menu size changes. What I remember while setting a higher resolution(1080p) is-

Menu window size remains same (1080p). The base resolution for the menu is 480p even if you change resolution inside the GAME.
Game windows size scales to 1080p visibly. This is also visible if I run it in Windowed mode.

You could try setting the game to run at 480p inside the game and then set your desired resolution in the dgV configurator. Now both the menu and game will render at base resolution of 480p and upscale to the set resolution.

Reply 4 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-12-29, 06:01:
You could try it at windowed mode to see if the menu size changes. What I remember while setting a higher resolution(1080p) is- […]
Show full quote

You could try it at windowed mode to see if the menu size changes. What I remember while setting a higher resolution(1080p) is-

Menu window size remains same (1080p). The base resolution for the menu is 480p even if you change resolution inside the GAME.
Game windows size scales to 1080p visibly. This is also visible if I run it in Windowed mode.

You could try setting the game to run at 480p inside the game and then set your desired resolution in the dgV configurator. Now both the menu and game will render at base resolution of 480p and upscale to the set resolution.

Well I have tried using dgvoodoo with OpenMM1 and forcing the resolution works fine now.

By the way, I found something interesting too. If anyone would like to use dgvoodoo only without OpenMM1, you don't need to rename midtown.exe to MidtownMadness.exe. All you have to do is copy and paste midtown.exe into the same folder where the game is located, and you will get another .exe file called midtown - Copy.exe. I guess this way is better than renaming the original .exe file as in this case you will still have the original .exe intact and you have the new .exe that works with dgvoodoo.

Also, If anyone is getting low fps, please use D3D12 (Feature Level 12.0) as your output API in dgvoodoo. Otherwise, the game will have slow fps.

I highly recommend using OpenMM1 with dgvoodoo as it restores the smokes that come out of the wheels. If you are going to use OpenMM1, don't patch the game with the XP compatibility patch or another patches. Just use OpenMM1 with dgvoodoo. The same person who made OpenMM1 is also working on an updated version called Open1560, but it is still very unstable and in beta, and it doesn't work with dgvodoo.

Reply 5 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2020-12-29, 23:46:
Well I have tried using dgvoodoo with OpenMM1 and forcing the resolution works fine now. […]
Show full quote
You could try it at windowed mode to see if the menu size changes. What I remember while setting a higher resolution(1080p) is- […]
Show full quote

Well I have tried using dgvoodoo with OpenMM1 and forcing the resolution works fine now.

By the way, I found something interesting too. If anyone would like to use dgvoodoo only without OpenMM1, you don't need to rename midtown.exe to MidtownMadness.exe. All you have to do is copy and paste midtown.exe into the same folder where the game is located, and you will get another .exe file called midtown - Copy.exe. I guess this way is better than renaming the original .exe file as in this case you will still have the original .exe intact and you have the new .exe that works with dgvoodoo.

Also, If anyone is getting low fps, please use D3D12 (Feature Level 12.0) as your output API in dgvoodoo. Otherwise, the game will have slow fps.

I highly recommend using OpenMM1 with dgvoodoo as it restores the smokes that come out of the wheels. If you are going to use OpenMM1, don't patch the game with the XP compatibility patch or another patches. Just use OpenMM1 with dgvoodoo. The same person who made OpenMM1 is also working on an updated version called Open1560, but it is still very unstable and in beta, and it doesn't work with dgvodoo.

Renaming is done to deactivate the shims. When the file is renamed, the shim is not activated as it is only activated when the executable name matches. If you write 'yourname.exe' instead of 'MidtownMadness.exe' you will get the same result as 'midtown - Copy.exe'

Btw, I never experienced smoke in the original game. Is this a modded feature or an original feature, I can't confirm.

Reply 6 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-12-30, 15:35:
Well I have tried using dgvoodoo with OpenMM1 and forcing the resolution works fine now. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Renaming is done to deactivate the shims. When the file is renamed, the shim is not activated as it is only activated when the executable name matches. If you write 'yourname.exe' instead of 'MidtownMadness.exe' you will get the same result as 'midtown - Copy.exe'

Btw, I never experienced smoke in the original game. Is this a modded feature or an original feature, I can't confirm.

No. Tire smoke is not a modded feature. It is part of the original game.

Reply 7 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2020-12-30, 15:43:
Show full quote

Just rechecked the game, it was a cheat feature, it could actually be activated by the '/smoke' cheat.

Everything runs fine, the audio resumes, the video plays when not using openmm1, the game can be made works without stutters, text is now straight. But I ran into another problem.

The problem that I could not fix is that the game doesn't have any sound when you 'Quit to Main Menu'. The sound comes back when you start a race and then goes off when you 'Quit to Main Menu' again. OpenMM1 or even Open1560 doesn't have a solution to this.
Neither could DxWnd could help to this.

Edit: Interestingly similar thing happens in MM2, the main menu sound doesn't work when game starts but if you 'Quit to Main Menu' the sound works since then.

Reply 8 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-12-31, 07:37:
Just rechecked the game, it was a cheat feature, it could actually be activated by the '/smoke' cheat. […]
Show full quote

Just rechecked the game, it was a cheat feature, it could actually be activated by the '/smoke' cheat.

Everything runs fine, the audio resumes, the video plays when not using openmm1, the game can be made works without stutters, text is now straight. But I ran into another problem.

The problem that I could not fix is that the game doesn't have any sound when you 'Quit to Main Menu'. The sound comes back when you start a race and then goes off when you 'Quit to Main Menu' again. OpenMM1 or even Open1560 doesn't have a solution to this.

Edit: Interestingly similar thing happens in MM2, the main menu sound doesn't work when game starts but if you 'Quit to Main Menu' the sound works since then.

For the sound to work in the main menu, you need to have the original game CD (Enhanced CD Format) inserted to have sounds in the menu.

Reply 9 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2021-01-01, 20:24:
Just rechecked the game, it was a cheat feature, it could actually be activated by the '/smoke' cheat. […]
Show full quote

For the sound to work in the main menu, you need to have the original game CD (Enhanced CD Format) inserted to have sounds in the menu.

I have the game cd in Enhanced Audio format. As said, the music plays when i launch the game. If i start a race and quit to main menu the music no longer plays.
Same for the sound effects, if i disable music and keep only sound effects,the sound effects won't play when i quit a race.

The opposite thing happens in mm2, the music or effects don't play when i launch the game but works when i quit a race to menu.

Interesting the mm1 problem occurs even with anything modded like opemmm1, open1560, mm1 remastered.

Moreover the sound in mm1 after quitting a race can be recovered if i turn of music and effects in menu, and then turn it on again. The music seems to resume from somewhere, meaning it was actually playing but isn't outputting. However my output device is set correctly to USB Audio Device or Realtek HD Audio on either occasions

Reply 10 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-01-02, 05:14:
I have the game cd in Enhanced Audio format. As said, the music plays when i launch the game. If i start a race and quit to mai […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I have the game cd in Enhanced Audio format. As said, the music plays when i launch the game. If i start a race and quit to main menu the music no longer plays.
Same for the sound effects, if i disable music and keep only sound effects,the sound effects won't play when i quit a race.

The opposite thing happens in mm2, the music or effects don't play when i launch the game but works when i quit a race to menu.

Interesting the mm1 problem occurs even with anything modded like opemmm1, open1560, mm1 remastered.

Moreover the sound in mm1 after quitting a race can be recovered if i turn of music and effects in menu, and then turn it on again. The music seems to resume from somewhere, meaning it was actually playing but isn't outputting. However my output device is set correctly to USB Audio Device or Realtek HD Audio on either occasions

Yeah actually the same issue happens for me too. I still couldn’t find any solution for this.

Reply 11 of 56, by 0x1F9F1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WhiteBear wrote on 2021-01-02, 12:51:
I have the game cd in Enhanced Audio format. As said, the music plays when i launch the game. If i start a race and quit to mai […]
Show full quote

Yeah actually the same issue happens for me too. I still couldn’t find any solution for this.

I did some investigation into this and hopefully it should be fixed in the latest Open1560 build. Please let me know if it isn't.

Reply 12 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
0x1F9F1 wrote on 2021-01-02, 20:49:
Show full quote

I did some investigation into this and hopefully it should be fixed in the latest Open1560 build. Please let me know if it isn't.

Do I need to have the original build of the game installed or the XP compatibility patch build for Open1560?

Reply 13 of 56, by 0x1F9F1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WhiteBear wrote on 2021-01-03, 01:44:

Do I need to have the original build of the game installed or the XP compatibility patch build for Open1560?

Either is fine since since you need to use Open1560.exe anyway.

Reply 14 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
0x1F9F1 wrote on 2021-01-03, 02:18:

Is the empty spaces on the sides for the dashboard view is fixed? For MM2, someone was able to fix it by a .ar file that could be copied to the game directory. I am not sure how it can work for MM1.

Reply 15 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2021-01-03, 04:12:

Is the empty spaces on the sides for the dashboard view is fixed? For MM2, someone was able to fix it by a .ar file that could be copied to the game directory. I am not sure how it can work for MM1.

I am not sure if you are talking about these but neither the original game nor Open1561 seems to have some empty spaces.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 56, by 0x1F9F1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a similar mod for MM1: http://www.mm2x.com/modules.php?name=Download … =getit&lid=2124 . If you use it with Open1560 you need to pass -nofovfix as a cmd param though (otherwise it will look incorrect).

Reply 17 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-01-03, 04:25:

I am not sure if you are talking about these but neither the original game nor Open1561 seems to have some empty spaces.

No. I was talking about the view from inside the vehicle.

Reply 18 of 56, by WhiteBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
0x1F9F1 wrote on 2021-01-03, 04:33:

There is a similar mod for MM1: http://www.mm2x.com/modules.php?name=Download … =getit&lid=2124 . If you use it with Open1560 you need to pass -nofovfix as a cmd param though (otherwise it will look incorrect).

Thanks a lot. I will try that. Your work is really nice and without it, playing this fantastic game on modern PCs would not have been possible. I hope that this project will be mostly about bug fixes and bringing back the original experience on modern PCs without too much modding and changes to the original core experience of MM1

Reply 19 of 56, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WhiteBear wrote on 2021-01-03, 04:37:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-01-03, 04:25:

No. I was talking about the view from inside the vehicle.

Is this the one you are talking about
download/file.php?mode=view&id=99485
If you want a wider dashboard, there is a widescreen patch available

Edit: Just realised you were talking about Open1560 dashboard, for that you need the widescreen patch as 0x1F9F1 said.

Attachments

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-01-03, 05:30. Edited 1 time in total.