VOGONS

Ultimate OS/2 Warp 4 machine?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is some of my OS/2 stuff. I have more in a box out in the garage.

Attachments

• DSC_0000247.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000247.jpg
    File size
    226.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 41 of 53, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So fun to see this topic get more traffic. I am also in the process of building an OS/2 Warp Connect workstation using an IBM 5x86-100 which I think is an oddly perfect pairing 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42 of 53, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fascinating thread! I'm still trying to figure out which system I want to put my copy of IBM OS/2 Warp 3 Red Spine on - but I really want it to have networking and I can't seem to get MS Lan Manager 2.2c working on it. Preferably I'd like to have newer networking support so that it can join my Win2k3 domain. I also have a copy of OS/2 Warp 4 Blue Spine that I think I have a system for (Penium III 450MHz), but the project has been put on hold as I've been very busy with remodeling my basement to be my computer den and trying to get up-to-speed on coding in DOS & Windows 3.1x. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the Digital Mars C++ compiler can create OS/2 native applications? Or is a different compiler needed?

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 43 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found this in a red spine OS/2 Warp Connect box...

Attachments

• DSC_0000258.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000258.jpg
    File size
    363.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 44 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then found this in one of my storage boxes out in the garage...

Attachments

• DSC_0000259.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000259.jpg
    File size
    422.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-02, 03:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OzzFan wrote on 2021-01-01, 00:34:

Fascinating thread! I'm still trying to figure out which system I want to put my copy of IBM OS/2 Warp 3 Red Spine on - but I really want it to have networking and I can't seem to get MS Lan Manager 2.2c working on it. Preferably I'd like to have newer networking support so that it can join my Win2k3 domain. I also have a copy of OS/2 Warp 4 Blue Spine that I think I have a system for (Penium III 450MHz), but the project has been put on hold as I've been very busy with remodeling my basement to be my computer den and trying to get up-to-speed on coding in DOS & Windows 3.1x. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the Digital Mars C++ compiler can create OS/2 native applications? Or is a different compiler needed?

OS/2 v4 Server and Advance Server have updated network clients that will do DHCP and 32bit network stack. . OS/2 v3 Connects client doesn't.

Reply 46 of 53, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-01-01, 03:01:
OzzFan wrote on 2021-01-01, 00:34:

OS/2 v4 Server and Advance Server have updated network clients that will do DHCP and 32bit network stack. . OS/2 v3 Connects client doesn't.

So then I'll have to install my copy of IBM Communications Manager/2 for OS/2 Warp. Good to know. I think I'll be limited to peer-to-peer networks with that package and won't be able to take advantage of domain authentication. That's ok though, networking is better than sneakernet, using floppies, or rigging up compact flash devices IMHO.

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 47 of 53, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah the nostalgia! Back in the 90s I emailed IBM in the city I lived in at the time (Cape Town) and asked if I could trial OS2. They were more than happy to help and literally gave me a copy of Warp 3! I installed it on my 486 and had a horrible time of it because it didn’t support my crappy Sony CD-ROM drive that connected to my SB16 but I eventually got it to work.
When Warp 4 came out I tried my luck wo try IBM again and they gave me a full copy again, FOC! It was a fun activity but ultimately I never stuck with it as once the fun of getting all my hardware working was over, I realized I had very little software or proper games support to enjoy and just switched back to using Windows...
I had those two copies as well as OS2 2.1 on floppy at my parents house for years but I think they eventually threw them out when I moved to the UK, along with hundreds of dollars of old PC hardware as my mom didn’t think I’d want all this old computer stuff anymore 😭

Reply 48 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still have my dedicated Dec 486DX2/66 set up. OS/2 can be finicky wrt hardware. I have been playing with various install methods on my AcerAcross 486DX2/66 the last few days. The disk versions of straight OS/2 v3 failed at various times with different fdds. The straight OS/3 v3 rRed Spine CDrom package complained about the CD (DVD /CD reader in my case) drive not being supported. The Red Spine OS/2 v3 Connect breezed though with no problems at all. Picked up the video device then loaded the appropriate drives for it and recognised the DVD drive without any issue at all.

I've set the AcerAcross up so I can use dual boot to boot between MS Dos 6.22 and OS/2 v3 Warp Connect with the Warp v4 Server OS/2 network client with 32-bit tcpip and DHCP support. The Acer will most likely replace the dedicated DEc OS/2 box eventually.

Reply 49 of 53, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will be installing some form of OS/2 on my IBM PS/1 DX2-66 in the near future. Undecided between Vanilla Warp, Warp Connect, Warp 4.0 or Warp 4.52. I'll be installing on either a 512MB CF-IDE or a 545MB Seagade HDD, undecided yet. The other hardware in the machine are O/B GD5428 Cirrus Logic and a CT2290 Sound Blaster 16 so it's pretty cookie cutter. My fondest memories are with OS/2 Warp Connect so I may just go with that, but I was wondering if there is any reason to or not to, go with 4.0 or 5.52?

Also, do I need updated install disks with new IDE drivers for 512/545MB HDDs?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 50 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's best to use updated install disks. Though in saying that the OS/2 v3 Warp Connect installation on my AcerAcross's 512 hdd went fine with no issue at all using the DVD reader I fitted to it and original installation disks.. The straight OS/2 v3 Warp CD install borked at a DVD I have in the system.

Reply 51 of 53, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OS/2 Demoscene-stuff

Attachments

• Filename
    val-os2.zip
    File size
    510.37 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    snc_warp.zip
    File size
    776.84 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    os2comic.zip
    File size
    357.97 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 52 of 53, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-10-01, 14:47:

OS/2 Demoscene-stuff

All those demos run under DOS... perfect example about why OS/2 failed - the system was fine, but there was too little native software for it.

BTW: the demo by Comic is clearly based on Dope by Complex - are Comic and Complex somehow related?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 53 of 53, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

..that's bad because I did not had tested them..my Warp4 Installation is still in progress...sorry

https://www.pouet.net/search.php?what=OS%2F2&type=prod

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines