VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 37440 of 52859, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a PCIe USB controller (with a Via chip) that works perfectly with Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98, NT 4, and Windows 2000 without modifying the drivers. Again, the PCIe interface is transparent to Windows. Windows thinks it's just another PCI device.

Reply 37441 of 52859, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, I've always had a couple devices on my Windows 98SE machine that didn't have drivers and I always assumed it was the PCIE Bus. I've got a 4CoreDual-VSTA motherboard, maybe these devices should be working? This motherboard has both AGP and PCIE slots.

Attachments

Reply 37442 of 52859, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those are either devices that Windows can't identify or doesn't have a working driver. Even with a compatible .INF file from Intel, my machines almost always have a device or two that Windows can't identify or manage (SM Bus or something or other).

Try plugging in a PCIe card, and Windows will detect it as a new device. Whether you have a compatible driver for it is another story.

Reply 37444 of 52859, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a screenshot of my Core i5-3570 running Win 98 FE with a PCIe Radeon x800 (widescreen resolution, of course).

Not shown: the Device manager lists 5 additional PCI-to-PCI bridges and my Via-based PCIe USB ports.

Attachments

Reply 37445 of 52859, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-01-02, 19:51:
I have gotten a GeForce 6800 GS PCIe to work with Windows 95, but the drivers were meant for Windows 98 and throw up an USER32.d […]
Show full quote

I have gotten a GeForce 6800 GS PCIe to work with Windows 95, but the drivers were meant for Windows 98 and throw up an USER32.dll error at start up. The drivers also don't integrate with the Display Properties, so it doesn't throttle the GPU fan (it's at full speed and very loud all of the time).
The Windows 98 drivers for the Radeon x800 PCIe don't work with Windows 95 at all, unfortunately.

Here's a screenshot of my Core i5-3570 running Win 98 FE with a PCIe Radeon x800 (widescreen resolution, of course).
Not shown: the Device manager lists 5 additional PCI-to-PCI bridges and my Via-based PCIe USB ports.

Good job ! I got a 6200 PCIe to work under Win98se in one of the older boards, never tried it with Win95, am sure it would not like it ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 37446 of 52859, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got a free Antec Smartpower 450w that is loaded with unpopped Fuhjyuu's and a free NIB Ultra 500watt X-Connect that is loaded with yellow J.E.C or some such caps. At least they arent F U's like the Antec!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 37447 of 52859, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2021-01-03, 02:56:

Just got a free Antec Smartpower 450w that is loaded with unpopped Fuhjyuu's and a free NIB Ultra 500watt X-Connect that is loaded with yellow J.E.C or some such caps. At least they arent F U's like the Antec!

Great and the price was right ! Some Ultra's were made well, some have good caps but some did not.
Have a Ultra Xfinity 600 bought new about 15 years ago and still works just fine. Most of my Antecs still work but some have the bad caps and need work, otherwise they were built very well.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 37448 of 52859, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 3 ultra x-connects since they were new and they all still work great and all the voltage rails are within spec. There great units. I've had good luck with those antec units. Did your x-connects come with all of the different cables?

Reply 37449 of 52859, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-03, 03:17:

I have 3 ultra x-connects since they were new and they all still work great and all the voltage rails are within spec. There great units. I've had good luck with those antec units. Did your x-connects come with all of the different cables?

Ya it did which is great. Id have just binned it if it was full of garbage caps TBH. It has the all important 6pin aux connector for my dual socket Pentium 3 machine! Iv had so many of these older Antec's show up with bad voltages and caps spewed everywhere. Built like tanks but once the caps go they get pretty wild. Giving the Antec away to a buddy thatl recap it and use it, since they havent leaked but the 12v is looking a little anemic.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 37450 of 52859, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's excellent getting the full cable set. I use one of them in a socket A build and the second on with my dual p3 850 build and they are just great. The third one I use for testing and as well a spare for other machines.

Reply 37451 of 52859, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually bought this before Christmas. A compact Pentium 4 PC I bought for the case (btw. I'd still like some clues about the other case in the comment). It was just now that I had the time to pick it up. It was freakin' heavy, and I'm a regular gym goer (was before COVID shutdowns). Easily my heaviest desktop which is interesting considering it's also the smallest. Before opening the box I started thinking maybe I got a box of bricks, but since I only paid 11$ including shipping, that wouldn't have been a bad deal either. I want to remodel my kitchen anyway.

Regarding it's size, it's basically everything I wanted for my compact Tualatin+Win98 build.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

As for reference, here is an already pretty compact 386 (from which I should make a BIOS dump. I didn't forget). The case is a little scratched up, but the only thing that might be problematic is the discoloration on the front.

006.jpg

As for the inside, it should be a working 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM and a 60GB HDD (looks like a Samsung). The listing had images about it being turned on and booted into Windows. If it really works, all the better, I'll do some benchmarking, maybe with my trusty RV410 based X1050. I'm thinking whether I should leave the DVD combo drive or replace it with a CD only. Being able to read DVDs is convenient, but I don't think it's necessary for W98.

As for my concerns about the location of the AGP slot, it's just about a couple of millimeters away from the 5.25" drive rack, so using full height graphics cards is a non-issue.

007.jpg

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2021-01-03, 14:53. Edited 1 time in total.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 37453 of 52859, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-01-03, 10:10:

I actually bought this before Christmas. A compact Pentium 4 PC I bought for the case (btw. I'd still like some clues about the other case in the comment). It was just now that I had the time to pick it up. It was freakin' heavy, and I'm a regular gym goer (was before COVID shutdowns). Easily my heaviest desktop which is interesting considering it's also the smallest. Before opening the box I started thinking maybe I got a box of bricks, but since I only paid 11$ including shipping, that wouldn't have been a bad deal either. I want to remodel my kitchen anyway.

Regarding it's size, it's basically everything I wanted for my compact Tualatin+Win98 build.

Very nice 😀 That's a Yeong Yang A203 case. I've got a couple of bezel-less ones of that case, one of which now houses my favourite 386 (with a bunch of 3d printed adapters)
It's amazing, apparently they still make those cases and they even have USB 3.0 on the front now: https://www.yycase.com/YY-A201.html

From looking at your other post and the interesting 'Digital Communication' case, sadly I've never seen that design before.

Also, adalbert's posting the Avance L12 case, agh I wish I could find that case. By the time my interest was renewed in interesting computers, Avance had come and gone 😒

Reply 37454 of 52859, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-01-03, 14:32:

Very nice 😀 That's a Yeong Yang A203 case. I've got a couple of bezel-less ones of that case, one of which now houses my favourite 386 (with a bunch of 3d printed adapters)
It's amazing, apparently they still make those cases and they even have USB 3.0 on the front now: https://www.yycase.com/YY-A201.html

From looking at your other post and the interesting 'Digital Communication' case, sadly I've never seen that design before.

Thank you!

The case layout (on the inside) and the back of that 'Digital Communication' case is very similar to some of the other Yeong cases. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of their older models too.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 37455 of 52859, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was regretting selling all of my 486 stuff and had been bothering ebay for a while looking for something interesting enough but not super expensive...

Just ordered this one (ebay pic)

s-l1600-92.jpg

Perhaps the seller is on here?.. It has had a couple of impressive looking trace repairs.

Appears to be http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/1203

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 37456 of 52859, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-01-03, 15:10:
Was regretting selling all of my 486 stuff and had been bothering ebay for a while looking for something interesting enough but […]
Show full quote

Was regretting selling all of my 486 stuff and had been bothering ebay for a while looking for something interesting enough but not super expensive...

s-l1600-92.jpg

Perhaps the seller is on here?.. It has had a couple of impressive looking trace repairs.

Looks like a nice board for Weitek 4167 and early 486. Good find with no apparent battery leakage (I would recommend removing the battery when it arrives though)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 37457 of 52859, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-03, 15:46:
Was regretting selling all of my 486 stuff and had been bothering ebay for a while looking for something interesting enough but […]
Show full quote

s-l1600-92.jpg

Looks like a nice board for Weitek 4167 and early 486. Good find with no apparent battery leakage (I would recommend removing the battery when it arrives though)

Usually a good recommendation. Though in this case it seems the battery is pretty new. I would change it to a different type none the less.

Reply 37458 of 52859, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CMB75 wrote on 2021-01-03, 17:24:
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-03, 15:46:
Show full quote

s-l1600-92.jpg

Usually a good recommendation. Though in this case it seems the battery is pretty new. I would change it to a different type none the less.

That battery will be off as soon as I have tested the board survived shipping 😀 I already have an external one ready to go on that jumper.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 37459 of 52859, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found this on a local classified ad today, brand new sealed 15” Azura CRT monitor. This thing was amazing, factory sealed still with a manufacturing date of 1998. The beige color looks pristine, it was sureal unpacking this thing. Paid $20 for it, and also bought a used NEC FE700 at the same time from the guy.

B9998773-4289-4C4F-9DA2-A9D44EA3AD09.jpeg
Filename
B9998773-4289-4C4F-9DA2-A9D44EA3AD09.jpeg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later