VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello...
And Happy new year to all of you.. it can only get better.. 😬

Apologies for opening a new thread on this... I know this has been discussed on and on... I just hope to get some help on this - my research didn't have effects until now.
For several days now I tried to get GLQuake working on my XP machine...
First of all: it runs - but not as I like to have it. Maybe I do not know some things ... Maybe hard- maybe Software-problems... I do not know
The Hardware is an ecs n2u400 with an Athlon XP 3200+ ... GPU is a ATI Firegl X3...
All necessary drivers are installed

I have an original disc of quake 1. Installed the 1.09 update, installed glquake 0.97.
Effect is: glquake runs at 1024x768 maximum, winquake runs at 1280x1024 maximum
Fitzquake085 is unplayable because of extreme graphic errors
Dark places is unplayable because screen stays black
Ezquake refuses to install...

I really would like to play it at my Maximum screen resolution of 1600x1200 ... Maybe this isn't possible... But if it is then I really would appreciate some support.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 2 of 9, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already tried a 9800xt.. with that I had less possible resolutions in glquake... With the Firegl 1600x1200 is recognized as possible res... With the 9800xt I didn't even get over 800x600

It is frustrating... Other games I tried (e.g. unreal Tournament, rollcage Stage 2) running really well and smooth with max resolution and nglide - only quake seem to be pick with whateva... 😒

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 9, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Holy shit... I just exchanged the Firegl for my Nvidia 4 ti 4600 and everythings working great... WTF?

Glquake, fitzquake, dark places everything runs as it should...

I deleted the opengl32.dll and then everything works fine... Why doesn't this work for ati cards?

Btw:
What would be the best XP driver version for the 9800xt... I wasn't able to install the wdm driver until now...

Reply 4 of 9, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And hello again...
It was kind of an adventure to get everything running as I intended ... But folks I did it!
I am running now my Radeon 9800 xt - loud as a hair dryer 😂... But I love it.
What I did: I tried many driver versions but got errors over and over again. I read threads here and elsewhere and finally installed the 4.2 catalyst. Then separate installation of wdm driver, and separate installation of control center...
Everything is working now with the ATI card: glquake, fitzquake and dark places.. other games also run fine...

Reply 5 of 9, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience Firegl cards may work better for gaming if installing the driver of the equivalent desktop card. The firegl x3 seems to be identical to an radeon x800 gto.
I did this with my firegl 8800 that is identical to a radeon 8500 and never had the problems that the original driver had. It's only a guess.

Reply 6 of 9, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2021-01-02, 15:16:

From my experience Firegl cards may work better for gaming if installing the driver of the equivalent desktop card. The firegl x3 seems to be identical to an radeon x800 gto.
I did this with my firegl 8800 that is identical to a radeon 8500 and never had the problems that the original driver had. It's only a guess.

Sounds interesting... Will try it
Edit: setup didn't found any hardware to install... Went back to the 9800xt

Reply 7 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GLQuake is kinda hacky and unfinished, missing some effects the software version has.
On the other hand, source ports tend to add their own effects in unrestrained manner, altering the original experience.

This is why I prefer software rendering for Quake 1.

Reply 9 of 9, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-01-03, 16:06:

QDOS does a damn good implementation of glquake, and runs in pure DOS with a 3dfx to boot

Ahaaaa... That sounds like I should test this on my ss7 System. A nice k6-III+ with a voodoo 3 3000... 😬