VOGONS

Reply 420 of 1060, by Tandy1000TL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mine arrived today travelling all the way to Australia. Hopefully get a chance to test it over the next week in my 486 machine.

Attachments

Tandy 1000TL, 486DX4-100, IBM Aptiva K6-233, P2, P3, P4, C2D
MP32L, MT32, SC55-MKii, SC-8820, Integra-7, MotifRackES, MU80, MU500, etc.
SB 1.0, Snark Barker, SB1.5, SB Pro, SB16, Awe64, Adlib Clone, PAS16, etc.
X2GS, S2, MCCake, Orpheus, BlasterBoard

Reply 421 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tandy1000TL wrote on 2021-01-08, 10:50:

Mine arrived today travelling all the way to Australia. Hopefully get a chance to test it over the next week in my 486 machine.

excellent!
thanks for your support and here's hoping it will bring you many hours of retro-joy!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 423 of 1060, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got mine in the mail!

Thank you to keropi, marmes, and all of those who assisted with the development, for your dedication and boldness to develop a product like this

One question occurred as I was looking over the card: what is the PCS two-pin connector by the Pulse audio transformer? I'm hoping that it's PC Speaker!

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 424 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just found out about this and have a thousand questions.

Long thread. Lemme see what I can learn.

I would plan on using it mostly in windows 98/ME linux and windows 7 starter. Occasionally though rarely in dos.
Tell me if this is a dumb idea. I’d like a nice isa sound card mainly because I’m running out of pci slots. And remember isa sound cards fondly. Also I think it’s totally cool to support a project like this.

Edit: crap, only windows 98 support? :’(

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 425 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

please remember the CS4237 chip is a 1997 one - doubt there is a working driver for win7
win9x is supported but atm only internal CSFM will work for opl as windows does not obey the card's eeprom config
linux I have no idea but if there is a CS4237 driver then it should work at least the same as win9x

The main goal was to create a nice DOS soundcard - everything else is a bonus for us tbh not to mention that for windows usage there are better options in the PCI department

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 426 of 1060, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-01-21, 23:34:
please remember the CS4237 chip is a 1997 one - doubt there is a working driver for win7 win9x is supported but atm only interna […]
Show full quote

please remember the CS4237 chip is a 1997 one - doubt there is a working driver for win7
win9x is supported but atm only internal CSFM will work for opl as windows does not obey the card's eeprom config
linux I have no idea but if there is a CS4237 driver then it should work at least the same as win9x

The main goal was to create a nice DOS soundcard - everything else is a bonus for us tbh not to mention that for windows usage there are better options in the PCI department

100% in agreement . I would add that

a) running multiple sound cards in one machine is an option .

b) Unless OP plans to run a late vintage P4 or a Core 2 on an industrial motherboard with working ISA slots ( with DMA) , I don't see how he can get a machine with ISA slots that can handle Windows 7 in any useful fashion. If it is for a proof of concept, why not, but I definitely would not want to run Windows 7 on a P3, let alone anything slower .

Reply 427 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-01-22, 00:24:
100% in agreement . I would add that […]
Show full quote
please remember the CS4237 chip is a 1997 one - doubt there is a working driver for win7 win9x is supported but atm only interna […]
Show full quote

100% in agreement . I would add that

a) running multiple sound cards in one machine is an option .

b) Unless OP plans to run a late vintage P4 or a Core 2 on an industrial motherboard with working ISA slots ( with DMA) , I don't see how he can get a machine with ISA slots that can handle Windows 7 in any useful fashion. If it is for a proof of concept, why not, but I definitely would not want to run Windows 7 on a P3, let alone anything slower .

I have 5 PCI slots
One for video card (wish I had space for two)
One for USB card (gotta have that)
One for M.2 (on adapters)
One for SATA controller
One for Gigabyte I-RAM drive.
Which leaves me nothing for sound.
I was thinking I should get a nice ISA sound card which is a shame cause I might be able to get an Auzentech XFi but no 98 support 🙁 so something like this would be great if it worked with later versions of windows.

It’s a nuts build 🤣. No need to tell me now stupid it is. The point of it is to max the F out a old motherboard I built once many years ago. It’s fun.
I also have a ATA 133 controller it seems I won’t have room for.

I’m looking into PCI riser cards. That may end up being my answer and an Audigy2 ZS

Re: Fastest socket 7 build on a 430tx chipset

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 428 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will this card pass line in or cd in to speaker/spidif out when no driver is loaded?

I’m wondering if I get this card if I can use it for 98 and dos and then use a usb sound card plugged into it’s line in for windows 7 and linux

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 429 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-27, 07:14:

Will this card pass line in or cd in to speaker/spidif out when no driver is loaded?

I’m wondering if I get this card if I can use it for 98 and dos and then use a usb sound card plugged into it’s line in for windows 7 and linux

I will test that in a couple hrs, I kinda remember that at least line-in was working like this but I need to verify maybe it needed a previous initialization that survives a reboot

Reply 430 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-01-27, 08:21:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-27, 07:14:

I will test that in a couple hrs, I kinda remember that at least line-in was working like this but I need to verify maybe it needed a previous initialization that survives a reboot

sweet look forward to hearing results

any plans for a version 2 or any improvements in the pipeline?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 431 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-27, 11:04:

just checked, sound output/input will not work unless the card is initialized
also no revisions or improvements planned: there is nothing else to add to CS4237 and no design improvements are planned, everything was optimized/added in the previous 5 prototype boards we made 😀

Reply 432 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-01-27, 12:05:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-27, 11:04:

just checked, sound output/input will not work unless the card is initialized
also no revisions or improvements planned: there is nothing else to add to CS4237 and no design improvements are planned, everything was optimized/added in the previous 5 prototype boards we made 😀

?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 433 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the card will be completely silent in both analog and digital output unless it gets initialized from a driver

Reply 434 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-01-27, 12:48:

the card will be completely silent in both analog and digital output unless it gets initialized from a driver

I understood that, my question was the picture I included in the reply.

would the combiner work? sound from the other card won't hurt the orpheus? and vice versa?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 435 of 1060, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

You mentioned you could change a register to fix this?
Can you provide instructions, or a utility we can run when we want to run DOS games from Windows?

Reply 436 of 1060, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The card comes in 3 flavors - all prices include registered airmail shipping in a hard box with fully assembled and complete ite […]
Show full quote

The card comes in 3 flavors - all prices include registered airmail shipping in a hard box with fully assembled and complete items ready for use:

Orheus soundcard : 130eur
Orpheus soundcard with PCMIDI installed: 180eur
Orpheus soundcard with PCMIDI installed and Dreamblaster X2 daughterboard: 230eur

Expensive.

Will prices be coming down in future ?

Reply 437 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DNSDies wrote on 2021-01-28, 14:34:

You mentioned you could change a register to fix this?
Can you provide instructions, or a utility we can run when we want to run DOS games from Windows?

sadly it is of no use at all - it is really limited in what you can do and it only works briefly for experiments as the windows driver immediately reverts any such change
it really needs the main driver to be patched - something that noone so far was able to do...

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-01-28, 16:00:

Expensive.

Nope, nothing like that is planned or foreseeable in the future.

Reply 438 of 1060, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Expensive.

Who would've thought that making proper retro-modern hardware in small batches from scratch today with quality in mind would have a price. Even at that price, I'm pretty sure their time is really not well-valued.
I personally think obnoxiously calling it expensive as you just did is really offensive and completely out of touch in properly recognizing effort and personal time investment.
You think it's too expensive for your budget? Keep it to yourself.

Asking if prices may come down in the future is fine though. I'm just happy for the guys that the answer is no.

Reply 439 of 1060, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Expensive.

This is especially contradictory from a fanatic Apple consumer like you. Skip your planned next IPad purchase and you can buy all 3 versions 😀

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper