VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cjfp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm having trouble figuring out the graphics options. I have a 1920x1200 display. I would like to play 320x200 DOS games at 1600x1200 with hq3x. If I set:

fullresolution=desktop
output=opengl
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x

I get the desired resolution with vertical black bars at the sides but without the hq3x interpolation. If I change scaler to hq3x like so:

scaler=hq3x

then I get the hq3x scaling but it isn't stretched to the edges of the desired 1600x1200 viewable area. I've tried playing around with other settings but the results are usually less good and more confusing.

As a point of comparison, I am able to play games on ScummVM with an hq3x scaler and correct aspect ratio. It scales the game to 1600x1200 and the hq3x is working well.

Is this possible to achieve with vanilla DOSBox and if so how? If not, is it possible with DOSBox ECE, X, or Staging, or maybe a different fork I haven't encountered? I'm not hellbent on hq3x, an xBR variant would be great. It's correct aspect ratio plus sharp interpolation that I'm looking for.

Reply 1 of 8, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

aspect=false
output=openglnb
fullresolution=1920x1200 (this should then be 1600x1200 in fullscreen)
scaler=none

please do not use those scaler filters, why would you want to rape the pixel graphics, why?

Reply 2 of 8, by cjfp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, your suggestion just gave me 1920x1200 without hq3x.

However, I neglected to mention I was using GOG DOSBox O.74. When I replaced it with the official 0.74-3, using the same configuration file, everything it worked as expected: 1600x1200 with hq3x.

I take your point and agree about the beauty of the original pixels (I grew up in the 80's and 90's playing DOS games), but I still think a good enough scaler can look very nice, especially for cartoon-style graphics like in a lot of SNES games.

Anyway, thanks.

Reply 4 of 8, by cjfp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure. It's GOG's copy of Star Control 2. It opens with "Launch Star Control 2.lnk" which says:

Target: "C:\Games\GOG\Star Control 2\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\dosboxSC2.conf" -conf "..\dosboxSC2_single.conf" -noconsole -c exit
Start in: "C:\Games\GOG\Star Control 2\DOSBOX"

so I'm attaching

Filename
dosboxSC2.conf
File size
7.01 KiB
Downloads
75 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and

Filename
dosboxSC2_single.conf
File size
106 Bytes
Downloads
67 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The only changes I made are per my first post:

$ diff Star\ Control\ 2.orig/ Star\ Control\ 2/
diff -ur "Star Control 2.orig/dosboxSC2.conf" "Star Control 2/dosboxSC2.conf"
--- "Star Control 2.orig/dosboxSC2.conf" 2021-01-09 12:52:42.760567400 -0800
+++ "Star Control 2/dosboxSC2.conf" 2021-01-09 15:51:10.049533300 -0800
@@ -17,9 +17,9 @@

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
-fullresolution=original
+fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
-output=overlay
+output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
@@ -49,8 +49,8 @@
# even if the result might not be desired.

frameskip=0
-aspect=false
-scaler=normal2x
+aspect=true
+scaler=hq3x

[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,simple,dynamic,auto.

GOG is shipping DOSBox 0.74. If I compare their dosbox-0.74.tar.gz with yours, it's identical. Their DOSBox.exe is also identical to the one installed by DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.exe, so I don't think they changed anything.

If I vary the Target: line of the shortcut to use DOSBox.exe from multiple different installations, I get the following results:

GOG DOSBox 0.74 - 1600x1200 without hq3x
DOSBOX 0.74 - 1600x1200 without hq3x
DOSBOX 0.74-2 - 1600x1200 with hq3x
DOSBOX 0.74-3 - 1600x1200 with hq3x

My guess is the problem got fixed in 0.74-2 by the changes represented by the following line in the changelog:

"Replace NV_PixelDataRange with the more common ARB_PixelBufferObject extension. Should help with output=opengl."

I hope this helps. To be clear, I don't have an issue anymore, outside of it would be nice if GOG updated their DOSBox versions.

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't follow the GOG forums that closely anymore but for quite awhile there has been discontent on how GOG does or doesn't update their games. Best you can do is to contact GOG and send them the info and also open a thread on the GOG forums but there isn't much participation by GOG on the forums anymore so best you can hope for there is a bunch of users posting that they have the same issue so hopefully GOG does something with it.

The ironic thing is that the DOS collections you can find on the Internet use the latest versions of DOSBox whereas GOG doesn't when GOG was created to provide something the "abandonware" community couldn't or wouldn't. GOG is failing badly at this as well as other things.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-01-10, 04:46. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cjfp wrote on 2021-01-10, 00:49:

My guess is the problem got fixed in 0.74-2 by the changes represented by the following line in the changelog:

More likely to be commit 4095, "Allow 15/16/32 bpp inputs to the opengl output".

Reply 8 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hq3x and overlay aren't best friends. (it resets to surface for hq3x) (and since 4095 as jmarsh posted, opengl does not)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!