VOGONS

Dual CPU Socket 5/7 Boards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 88, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a very similar Tyan board. Almost identical, only difference, mine has upgradeable cache, via coast card.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21 of 88, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried to build a system around this Tyan board. Everything looks fine until I tried to install a Soundcard. First tried a GUS PnP. Not detected. Oh no, dead? No - runs fine in another board. The Tyan-BIOS doesnt report anything about the GUS. Also tried the Intel ICU, nothing.
OK then I tried the Aztech Waverider 32 as a non Pnp card. Configuration works, but thats all. Also put this card in another baord. Everything OK there.

Tried a ISA NIC and a ISA VGA in the Tyan. Both work fine. Doesnt seem to like soundcards only.

I give up on this, no further idea...

Reply 24 of 88, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Tried to build a system around this Tyan board. Everything looks fine until I tried to install a Soundcard. First tried a GUS Pn […]
Show full quote

Tried to build a system around this Tyan board. Everything looks fine until I tried to install a Soundcard. First tried a GUS PnP. Not detected. Oh no, dead? No - runs fine in another board. The Tyan-BIOS doesnt report anything about the GUS. Also tried the Intel ICU, nothing.
OK then I tried the Aztech Waverider 32 as a non Pnp card. Configuration works, but thats all. Also put this card in another baord. Everything OK there.

Tried a ISA NIC and a ISA VGA in the Tyan. Both work fine. Doesnt seem to like soundcards only.

I give up on this, no further idea...

Now I removed the fixed Dallas to have enough place for a longer card in the bottom ISA-slot and inserted a GUS classic. No drivers or initialization needed. Setup complains about all DMAs I tested, but finally it woks. Playing Duke Nukem with Music and FX.
Strange problem...

Reply 28 of 88, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good point, didnt even notice that...!

Manual is still available from Asus...both connectors are different. As far as I know I have such converter card somewhere and always asked myself what it is used for...

Asus-Man.jpg
Filename
Asus-Man.jpg
File size
39.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29 of 88, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2021-01-08, 20:21:

Does that take 2 AT power supplies?

No, one of the connectors is for 3.3 Volts ! Manual attached

Attachments

• Filename
    pci_i_p54np4_95.pdf
    File size
    3.44 MiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 30 of 88, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an interesting setup if you don't have the right style power supply. You just use a pci slot to install your 5 volt to 3.3 volt vrm unit and just backfeed 3.3 volts to the rest of the system.

Reply 31 of 88, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see any voltage regulators on that board, and P54C wants 3.3V, so that makes sense. It would be interesting to get out the multimeter and find out if those 3.3V connectors go to the CPU, to the PCI or both.

Reply 32 of 88, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking at the manual (the one uploaded by red-ray is slighlty different) its not clear for me if the "5V"-connector is a standard AT one...there is also 12V provided from that.

Or does it have a similar pinout as the 3V-connector? Will check the connections before powering this one on...

Reply 33 of 88, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm think I have seen a old Dell PSU that had semi standard AT connectors P8 and P9 plus one other P with 3.3v (similar to a ATX Aux power connector).
For use on boards like this and this other one: 3.3V AT power supply connector?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34 of 88, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-09, 21:10:

Hmm think I have seen a old Dell PSU that had semi standard AT connectors P8 and P9 plus one other P with 3.3v (similar to a ATX Aux power connector).
For use on boards like this and this other one: 3.3V AT power supply connector?

I have a similar board to the one pictured. http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6992
The extra power connector has 3xground and 3x3.3v. On my board, the extra connector is only connected to the 3.3V on the PCI slots.
There's an on board voltage regulator near the end of the isa slots that provides 3.3 volts for the CPU.

Looking at that dual socket board, I don't see any voltage regulators, so I image some of those 3.3V lines have to go to the CPU.

Reply 35 of 88, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2021-01-10, 02:05:
I have a similar board to the one pictured. http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6992 The extra power connector has 3xgro […]
Show full quote

I have a similar board to the one pictured. http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6992
The extra power connector has 3xground and 3x3.3v. On my board, the extra connector is only connected to the 3.3V on the PCI slots.
There's an on board voltage regulator near the end of the isa slots that provides 3.3 volts for the CPU.

Looking at that dual socket board, I don't see any voltage regulators, so I image some of those 3.3V lines have to go to the CPU.

Ok makes sense, maybe that Dell PSU was used for a board like yours or the early Soc 4's that have the same 3.3 volt extra connector. The Soc 4 Pentiums (60 and 66) were 5 volt so on the P54NP4 board it probably is same as your board but no 3.3v regulator for the cpu because it did not need it for the cpu.
added: now I wish would have bought that PSU, was at a thrift store but was also about 1/3 larger than standard AT or ATX size and did not think it would fit in any of my older AT cases....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36 of 88, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the required "POWER CARD 5V to 3.3V" I was referring to. I got this one long time ago and now I am happy I have kept it, never knew what is was used for...

IMG_3184r.jpg
Filename
IMG_3184r.jpg
File size
465.07 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_3185r.jpg
Filename
IMG_3185r.jpg
File size
545.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 37 of 88, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice Tyan board.

It seems that your board FSB is clocked more than 68 MHz.
You have two 166 MMX cpu's right?

Optimal frequency is: 66.667 x 2.5 = 166.7 MHz

When it shows 175 MHz at boot screen, (70 x 2.5 = 175 MHz) ,
you'll need then around the minimum of 68.3 MHz and more at the FSB, then it will automatically round up the cpu clock to 175 MHz.

My super socket 7 board has the same behavior. Setting of jumper @ 66Mhz, the clock is between 67.5 and 68.5 MHz mostly.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 39 of 88, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote on 2021-01-10, 08:19:

This is the required "POWER CARD 5V to 3.3V" I was referring to. I got this one long time ago and now I am happy I have kept it, never knew what is was used for...

IMG_3184r.jpg
IMG_3185r.jpg

Interesting - a novelty to me.