VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started collecting Intel CPUs because I'm out of my mind and I need a collection that can fit in a small box.
Getting the cheaper ones is relatively easy but there are hundreds more of the same CPU with a different stepping number.
For example the Pentium 4 2.4 has 10 different revisions.
So CPU collectors: do you want them all or just on of each type?

Reply 1 of 66, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want them all! Yours as well 😀

I have well over 1000, probably double that when I receive what is still with my drop shipper. Small box? Hell no! Lots of boxes 😀

I like to collect all revisions of any x86 CPU, from any manufacturer, and I plan to test them all 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 66, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't collect on purpose, but my collection is big anyways 🤣 So I don't care about the revisions. But they have to be in functional state with good pins and no cracks.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 66, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-12, 15:46:

I have well over 1000, probably double that when I receive what is still with my drop shipper. Small box? Hell no! Lots of boxes 😀

I like to collect all revisions of any x86 CPU, from any manufacturer, and I plan to test them all 😀

That's what I call a hardcore collector. 😀
How many could there be, all revisions and samples included? Around 4000?
A complete collection would be so epic, museum-worthy!
Any chance you could post a picture? Just to inspire other collectors.

Reply 5 of 66, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-01-12, 15:50:

sure I'd love specific revisions, but I'm not ready to spend the money on single CPUs

My problem as well. $1749 for a single Pentium 4 Extreme? What's that guy smoking?

Reply 6 of 66, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-12, 17:07:
That's what I call a hardcore collector. :) How many could there be, all revisions and samples included? Around 4000? A complete […]
Show full quote
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-12, 15:46:

That's what I call a hardcore collector. 😀
How many could there be, all revisions and samples included? Around 4000?
A complete collection would be so epic, museum-worthy!
Any chance you could post a picture? Just to inspire other collectors.

I'm in the process of reorganising my front room (boxes everywhere, and I'm sorting them all so it'll look less cluttered, and so I can start testing). I'll post some pics once I am better organised and have much of the collection in trays instead of boxes. I'm far from being the biggest collector I know of 😀

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 66, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2021-01-12, 17:06:

I don't collect on purpose, but my collection is big anyways 🤣 So I don't care about the revisions. But they have to be in functional state with good pins and no cracks.

What about worn labels? 90's golden-top ceramic CPUs are notorious for that.
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/26487 … ocessor-cpu.jpg

Reply 8 of 66, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-12, 17:15:

I'm far from being the biggest collector I know of 😀

That's why CPU collectors need to organize a good old-fashioned collection exchange some day.

Reply 9 of 66, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-12, 15:00:

So CPU collectors: do you want them all or just on of each type?

P4/2.4 is at least 5 models to me: 2.4/400/512, 2.4/533/512, 2.4/800/512, 2.4/533/1M, 2.4/800/1M (does the latest exist?).

But they're quite boring to me, I don't need more than one per model.

Ppro , that's another question. I grab any with a new sspec. Hell I grab any overclockable 😁

But I rarely buy any CPUs. Ppro comes to my mind again, all I've ever found was 180/256 and mostly 200/256 so I bought a 200/512 from CPUShack for a Christmas (alongside a few cheap s1366 Xeons). The same goes for my first K6-3+, that was a birthday present to myself.

Last edited by alvaro84 on 2021-01-12, 18:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 10 of 66, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-12, 17:22:
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-12, 17:15:

I'm far from being the biggest collector I know of 😀

That's why CPU collectors need to organize a good old-fashioned collection exchange some day.

A lot of English speaking (including as a second language) collectors congregate in the CPU-World forums, where lots of us trade among ourselves at better prices than eBay, as well as some posting articles they have put online. It really is a friendly community. I believe China has a large collecting community as well. I'm sure there are other places as well, and individual collectors who have yet to find others.

Some collectors also do public displays, like one collector who did a retro computing museum like display in a local shopping mall.

Reply 11 of 66, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote on 2021-01-12, 18:26:

200/256 so I bought a 200/512 from CPUShack for a Christmas (alongside a few cheap s1366 Xeons). The same goes for my first K6-3+, that was a birthday present to myself.

Same. I never ever found anything other than a Pro 200/256 for sale. So a Pentium Pro always means Pentium Pro 200 for me. Local companies were way too cheap to buy the more expensive models so the retro market is flooded with them. 😁

Reply 12 of 66, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-12, 18:27:

A lot of English speaking (including as a second language) collectors congregate in the CPU-World forums, where lots of us trade among ourselves at better prices than eBay

I only have one "minor" problem with such trading forums: shipping rates are often so high that it's just not worth it.
Maybe I'll get some collectors here in Hungary to do the same...
Do you have Extreme Editions in you collection? I only have a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and it was pure luck because they are so rare on local auctions. Ebay is out of the question for me for obvious reasons (3-5x price).

Reply 13 of 66, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-12, 20:36:
I only have one "minor" problem with such trading forums: shipping rates are often so high that it's just not worth it. Maybe I' […]
Show full quote
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-12, 18:27:

A lot of English speaking (including as a second language) collectors congregate in the CPU-World forums, where lots of us trade among ourselves at better prices than eBay

I only have one "minor" problem with such trading forums: shipping rates are often so high that it's just not worth it.
Maybe I'll get some collectors here in Hungary to do the same...
Do you have Extreme Editions in you collection? I only have a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and it was pure luck because they are so rare on local auctions. Ebay is out of the question for me for obvious reasons (3-5x price).

Most collectors that I know (I buy in a couple of forums) will ship by whatever method you ask for, most being more than fair. I understand what you are saying though. QX6700 is probably my own extreme edition (I have two ES chips coming soon), but I may also have a QX9650 in my unsorted box.

Reply 14 of 66, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was trying to collect every CPU milestone at the fastest possible speed. That is to say, for example, a Pentium 66MHz Socket 4, a Pentium 200MHz, a Pentium 233MHz MMX, Pentium II 450MHz, Pentium III 1000MHz 100MHz FSB Slot1, Pentium III 1000MHz 133MHz FSB Socket 370, etc, etc... and each had to be in a working system so you could sit down and experience the best class of each processor.

That started taking up a lot of room and so I had to get rid of a few and modify my collection rules. Now I just try to go for the fastest in each class; 1 Pentium 4 CPU, 1 Pentium III, 1 Core 2 Quad (no need for a Duo), etc. I also try to max out each system with as much RAM as possible, or that I can afford for that particular system. And if ECC/Parity is supported, I try to use that.

I do have 2 Pentium 4 Extreme Editions in my collection though. A Pentium 4 EE Socket 478 and the Pentium Extreme Edition (part of the Pentium D series but they dropped the D from the EE name) Socket 775. I bought the CPUs before the prices got ridiculous years ago, and they're staying right in my museum/collection. ☺

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 15 of 66, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OzzFan wrote on 2021-01-13, 02:11:

I was trying to collect every CPU milestone at the fastest possible speed. That is to say, for example, a Pentium 66MHz Socket 4, a Pentium 200MHz, a Pentium 233MHz MMX, Pentium II 450MHz, Pentium III 1000MHz 100MHz FSB Slot1, Pentium III 1000MHz 133MHz FSB Socket 370, etc, etc... and each had to be in a working system so you could sit down and experience the best class of each processor.

That started taking up a lot of room and so I had to get rid of a few and modify my collection rules. Now I just try to go for the fastest in each class; 1 Pentium 4 CPU, 1 Pentium III, 1 Core 2 Quad (no need for a Duo), etc. I also try to max out each system with as much RAM as possible, or that I can afford for that particular system. And if ECC/Parity is supported, I try to use that.

I do have 2 Pentium 4 Extreme Editions in my collection though. A Pentium 4 EE Socket 478 and the Pentium Extreme Edition (part of the Pentium D series but they dropped the D from the EE name) Socket 775. I bought the CPUs before the prices got ridiculous years ago, and they're staying right in my museum/collection. ☺

No P3 1000 MHz 133 MHz slot 1 (I have 5 of them), P3 Coppermine 1133 MHz 133 MHz socket 370, etc then, the highest specs of each?

Reply 16 of 66, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am happy with the fastest CPU per CPU generation. Athlon XP 3200+, Core2Duo E8600, P4 3400Mhz. I don't yet have a K6-2+ 550 and probably never will, and I don't go above those for collecting.

My particular fetish is rare versions of the Via C3 at 100Mhz...some with different colored dies. I truly love this CPU due to it's flexibility for playing early speed sensitive games, the fact it works with nice mATX s370 mobos, and can generally run passively without cooling. I almost always snap them up when I have the chance.

Reply 17 of 66, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-13, 02:20:
OzzFan wrote on 2021-01-13, 02:11:

No P3 1000 MHz 133 MHz slot 1 (I have 5 of them), P3 Coppermine 1133 MHz 133 MHz socket 370, etc then, the highest specs of each?

I did have a P3 1000MHz 133MHz FSB Slot 1 running on an Asus P3V4X. I think that one went with the cleanup. The P3 Coppermine 1133MHz is harder to come by, but probably should have been in my collection, however I just skipped it in favor of the P3 1400MHz 133MHz FSB Tualatin. Pretty sure that one went with the cleanup too.

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 18 of 66, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-01-13, 02:24:

I am happy with the fastest CPU per CPU generation.

For my older systems (e.g. pre-Pentium) I am trying to go with the fastest for each manufacturer. So for my 486s I have an Intel DX4 100MHz, an AMD Am5x86 133MHz, an AMD DX4 100MHz, a Cyrix Cx5x86 100MHz (having trouble sourcing the 120/133Mhz version). And as I try to finish off my 386 collection I will do the same there. I already have a Cyrix 386-to-486 upgrade, and an Intel 386DX 33MHz, but no systems to put them in. The only 386 systems I have are an IBM PS/2 Model 55SX that came with a 386SX 20MHz CPU upgraded to the IBM 486SLC2 @ 40MHz and a Compaq Despro 386DX 20MHz with a bad Dallas RTC soldered onto the motherboard (and my soldering skills are not that great).

Reply 19 of 66, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only collect what I need. Am not some cpu whore who has to every release of every version and sub version. To me that is a bit silly like the cat lady that needs every feral cat in the city in her home.
Curious ? so if you have some 1000+ cpu's do you also have 1000+ boards they work on or are you just buying and hoarding cpu's because you can and are trying to make some museum ?
Just curious and is only my opinion that if you collect more than you can use and are not making a museum then maybe you in it for the wrong reasons... Just my opinion.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun