VOGONS

Reply 20 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A video about the Unisys Aquanta HS/6 (aka ALR 6x6). I take you through a quick tour of these monster Pentium Pro systems.

Unisys Aquanta HS/6 aka ALR 6x6 Pentium Pro Monster Machine

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by liqmat on 2023-08-13, 01:55. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 21 of 73, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice ! Interesting about any Trio64, have yet to find a board it will not work with, must be a BIOS/resource issue on the ALR dual...
Yeah most call it a cpu terminator 😀 Great looking HS+fans. 🤣 on "if I can find them", done that a thousand times but never with a 3 CPU card hahaaa.
Good explaination on the scsi SCA drives too
Over all I say Good Job ! Very informative...(and nice to know am not the only one with a little grey on top ;p)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22 of 73, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2021-01-12, 22:35:

Hope you enjoy!

Nice system! I wonder how well my SIV utility will report it, I added support ages ago, but have never tested it. Please will you try it and post the two Menu->File->Save Local files.

I wonder how to read the CPU temperature's etc., maybe SIV will find some sensor chips.

Reply 23 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-01-13, 02:13:

Yeah most call it a cpu terminator 😀

After working in a datacenter for almost 15 years I've heard both depending on the sys admin you're talking to and the system they're talking about, but yes I hear terminator board more. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply 24 of 73, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2021-01-12, 22:35:

Youtube premiere on the Unisys Aquanta HS/6 (aka ALR 6x6) @ 6:00PM tonight Eastern time. I take you through a quick tour of these monster Pentium Pro systems.

https://youtu.be/zU-0T9m3apU

Hope you enjoy!

What is your model number of this 19 or 20" LCD monitor with front buttons on bottom right side? Will this work with vintage games?

Very nice youtube by the way about the 6x6. I have set of intel extended express CPU board, ram card and motherboard with correct power supply. One day will find a way to turn it on.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 25 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-01-13, 20:55:

What is your model number of this 19 or 20" LCD monitor with front buttons on bottom right side? Will this work with vintage games?

Very nice youtube by the way about the 6x6. I have set of intel extended express CPU board, ram card and motherboard with correct power supply. One day will find a way to turn it on.

Cheers,

I posted about that IBM panel almost two years ago >> Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

I am always on the hunt for 1600x1200 panels like that.

Reply 27 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-01-14, 00:05:

Ouch, ebay has only one seller who sells these for 500.

Cheers,

I found two so far on Craigslist. The Dell models are very good as well. The Dell 2001fp and 2007fp.

Reply 29 of 73, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2021-01-14, 00:17:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-01-14, 00:05:

Ouch, ebay has only one seller who sells these for 500.

Cheers,

I found two so far on Craigslist. The Dell models are very good as well. The Dell 2001fp and 2007fp.

Locally none in this area, did get a couple of the 19" Dell cousins in last few years but they only support to 1280x1024 @75Hz good thing: they cost only $15 each.
added: And yes thanks again ! I did enjoy your video, and left a positive comment 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 30 of 73, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn it, the irritational part of me wishes I had one all the more now, I didn't even know about the touch screen!
At least the sane part of me enjoyed at least looking at these things virtually.

and congratulations on your self discipline and not keeping at least 1. Shelf in my garage filled with more modern and boring servers is proof your a stronger willed man then I

Reply 31 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-01-14, 02:35:

How about NEC LCD models?

Cheers,

Hey, if it does 1600x1200 and cheap enough I don't care what logo is on the front, I'll take it. For my purposes, 1600x1200 LCD panels are perfect. Unfortunately, the second IBM I found on Craigslist was bad, but it came in an original box and I kept the stand as a spare so it wasn't a total loss.

Reply 32 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For any Unisys Aquanta HS/6 - ALR 6x6 owners out there who run across this thread I solved a small puzzle with the LCD control panel. One of the machines had a very dim and hard to read display and I could not find any adjustments for it. I started to suspect a failing backlight, but then I took a closer look at the LCD logic board. Lo and behold, behind the KBD and RESET wires on the LCD logic board...

ALR6x6_LCD_Logic_Board.jpg
Filename
ALR6x6_LCD_Logic_Board.jpg
File size
602.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A contrast adjustment wheel.

ALR6x6_LCD_Logic_Board_Contrast.jpg
Filename
ALR6x6_LCD_Logic_Board_Contrast.jpg
File size
662.14 KiB
Views
File license

Problem solved. Display looks bright and crisp again. Quite hidden from view so thought I would post about it.

Reply 34 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like I am keeping the last one of the five 6x6 floor models after all. There was also a sixth 6x6 rack model that Luckybob has.

ALR 6x6 Rack.jpg
Filename
ALR 6x6 Rack.jpg
File size
144.61 KiB
Views
File license

So since that tower is staying, I went hunting for some 80-pin SCA to 68-pin SCSI removable drawers. I already have a couple of 68-pin to 68-pin drawer models. Turns out the SCA to 68 variant is fairly hard to find. Finally found some all aluminum NOS units and they should look nice in the ALR chassis.

s-l1600 SCSI SCA to 68 Drawer.jpg
Filename
s-l1600 SCSI SCA to 68 Drawer.jpg
File size
103.22 KiB
Views
File license

I had a bunch of SCA SCSI drives from the GPPH 2018 (gave away most of them) so I needed these so I could take use of my remaining drives easily. I gave away my two RAID cages since I have zero interest in setting up a six drive RAID 5. Nothing mission critical going on here. I may setup a RAID 1 with two of those drawers so I have some redundancy.

ALR RAID cage.jpg
Filename
ALR RAID cage.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 35 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I was browsing the archived Unisys website looking at the unicorn 10 and 12-way Socket 8 systems (Aquanta XR/6 & Aquanta XS/6) I ran across even more files for the Aquanta HS/6 (ALR 6x6). Some newer BIOS images and the System Configuration Utility. I am not too confident those BIOS images will work with my revision motherboard so instead of possibly bricking a rare system, I'll just leave it be.

Reply 36 of 73, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They started from a mere $60,000 , but I suspect one with all 12 CPUs would cost more than that. It also looks like a special HAL is needed and I wonder if they can run Windows 2000.

Reply 37 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2021-02-01, 14:19:

They started from a mere $60,000 , but I suspect one with all 12 CPUs would cost more than that. It also looks like a special HAL is needed and I wonder if they can run Windows 2000.

Oh those models got easily into the hundreds of thousands of dollars fully configured. They were the pinnacle of custom Socket 8 designed systems through specialized hardware. You just never see those Unisys X models out in the wild probably due to their high price tags which led to fairly limited supply. Windows 2000 Datacenter would be the flavor to handle the job. It could scale up to 32 CPUs.

Reply 38 of 73, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just an update on those SCA 80-pin to 68-pin SCSI drive caddies. Finally got them installed on the ALR 6x6 and I have to admit I think they are quite sexy. All aluminum, including the pull handle, and with a light up LCD display. The display shows SCSI ID number, voltage, temp and which fans are in use. The units come with two fans mounted in front and back. I have noticed only the rear fan is continuously on and the front kicks in only when temp thresholds are crossed. Another nice feature is you can set those voltage and temp thresholds right on the LCD display and if they are crossed you can set it to sound an audible alarm. Probably the most advanced removable drive caddy I've ever come across. They come in beige and black and are still available on Ebay from a UK seller called evercase. Although, they did tell me the beige models are getting low in stock so if you would like one, grab one while you still can.

ALR 6x6 Drive Bays.jpg
Filename
ALR 6x6 Drive Bays.jpg
File size
733.64 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2022-02-15, 00:47. Edited 1 time in total.