VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are right about the vgaonly. This indeed seems to have impact on the "original" resolution. If I put it on svga_s3, the original resultion of the playing screen indeed is 320x200, and it scales perfectly, just like the other patch does. (see attachment of the result in ECE with svga_s3 instead of vgaonly). Also here the colors are way off...

In attachment the output screens when I start with vgaonly and with svga_s3.

Attachments

• Image4.gif
    Filename
    Image4.gif
    File size
    102.16 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ECE result with svga_s3 (colors are off)
    File license
    Public domain
  • svga_s3.gif
    Filename
    svga_s3.gif
    File size
    26.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    svga_s3
    File license
    Public domain
  • vgaonly.gif
    Filename
    vgaonly.gif
    File size
    29.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    vgaonly
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 21 of 28, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How did you activate the log window?

Well, I don't think I shall be able to fix this old and unsupported patch in an old and unsupported version of DOSBox ECE, but I may try to do so in some active fork. I will also try to find a way to turn off doublescan.

Reply 22 of 28, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ant_222 wrote on 2021-01-14, 15:29:

How did you activate the log window?

How do you mean, exactly ? I just switched to it with the Windows key and took a screenshot (Alt Gr+PrtSc)?

Ant_222 wrote on 2021-01-14, 15:29:

Well, I don't think I shall be able to fix this old and unsupported patch in an old and unsupported version of DOSBox ECE, but I may try to do so in some active fork. I will also try to find a way to turn off doublescan.

Would be great. While searching for "dosbox vgaonly doublescan" in google, I came across this old thread of yours, so seems this has been an issue from the beginning: Double-height and double-width

Let me know if I can help with providing more info or whatever...

Reply 24 of 28, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TomVDJ wrote on 2021-01-14, 11:29:

In the meanwhile I also tried the dosbox version from here: https://github.com/bladeSk/DOSBox-pixel-perfect and I was able to get what I wanted (see other attachment "Pixel Perfect Patch") but only this does not work with "vgaonly". Only works with svga_s3, which results in some colors being off, especially in the screens where the levels are explained (see attachment "colors").

bladeSk maintains his own pixel-perfect algorithm. Try filing an issue through his issue tracker. Perhaps he can help you avoid the double scanning of vgaonly in his fork, and tell us all what needs to be done, programmatically or otherwise.

Reply 25 of 28, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-01-14, 17:51:

as we're on dosbox and lemmings, is there a way to fix the wrong color palette in dosbox?
I notice that whenever I see lemmings on dosbox.

When you modify the config file to...

[dosbox]
machine=vgaonly

...you get the correct colors, but then also the doublescan kicks in, and pixel perfect patches seems to not handle that quite well... If you don't mind less sharp pixels, you can have the correct colors...

Ant_222 wrote on 2021-01-14, 17:58:

bladeSk maintains his own pixel-perfect algorithm. Try filing an issue through his issue tracker. Perhaps he can help you avoid the double scanning of vgaonly in his fork, and tell us all what needs to be done, programmatically or otherwise.

Last commit was on July 9, 2019. No idea if he is still working on it, but I'll give it a try...

Reply 27 of 28, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TomVDJ wrote on 2021-01-14, 18:06:

Last commit was on July 9, 2019. No idea if he is still working on it, but I'll give it a try...

Thank you for contributing to the community. If one man solves it, everybody else can use his solution. I myself will look into it after I finish my current work on a DOSBox fork.