VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area.

I recently got a boxed copy of fs2000 pro and have installed it fine in windows10 surprisingly, however the addon FStraffic won't install in windows 10 so it has been recommended for me to use PCEM.

I have tried pcem before using someone's preinstalled ready to go version however theirs was not very powerful, had no 3d graphics and just stopped working properly at all after a while

I have been following guides to doing it myself and have now.setup a pcem version running win98se using the socket7 mobile premium ROMs and some for voodoo3 as indicated in the pcem readme.
However now that I have it running how do I set up the graphics?
I assume I have install directly - which version? Dx7 is my guess for the one that would suit the late 90s best to run fs 2000

Do I do that and then what after, it has been so long since I ever put a pc together - I assume I have to install drivers for the voodoo card yes?

How do I get win98 to recognise USB pen drives? I remember back in the day that I had to install drivers for this also yes?

Reply 2 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible that it uses a 16bit executable for the installer. You can try replacing the setup executable with a 32bit version or install the software in a emulator or VM and copy to the host or extract the files from the setup files.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i tried this - the installer is actually a 32bit installer already. its a really weird error with fstraffic : if you run setup it will start but then after one intro screen to the installation window an error will come up saying "unable to locate one or more files to proceed with installation" and then it will close
i actually tried it in VMware winXP and the same error happened albeit differently worded. i tried it in Virtualbox with win98se and it works however i dont have fs2000 in that system and not enough space to install it there , nor any 3d accelerated so am hoping it will work better with PCEM.

the other person i was speaking who runs a flight simulation twitch channel, said he had the same problems trying to run fstraffic in windows 10

Reply 4 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if however maybe i could get the files for fstraffic that i install for fs2000 in pcem that might be worth a shot - the question i have then is how does on actually get files OFF PCEM back to the host system?

Reply 5 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay i installed and just tried FS2000 and it runs terribly! aargh! what have i done wrong? i followed the guide on this page https://olistutorials.wordpress.com/2017/02/2 … ndows-95-games/ although i installed Win98se instead of win95
the rom set is for Pentium mobile mmx 300, and voodoo2 and s3 virge/dx
also 512mb ram
direct 7.0
this happened last time when i tried using a pre-made pcem for win98 - why is pcem running awfully?

what are the best settings for making a win98se ?

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing is wrong. pcem is emulating as it should. Your processor is too slow and your expectations are too high.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 18, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing is wrong. Just that you even believed the author's words from the guide you followed that he enjoyed playing NFS3 with an *overclocked* Core i7 at 4.2GHz on PCem with "great" Voodoo2.

I enjoyed playing NFS3 on my laptop, it is not even a gaming laptop. 😜
Check it out https://youtu.be/nbb9Zd5rFDk

Reply 8 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks - well it looks like PCEM will just be a no go then for this and i just cannot get FSTraffic running for fs2000pro that i have working in windows 10.

my other thought was that i could just maybe move the files for FS Traffic from the pcem version over to fs2000 on my win10 -the interesting thing is that the fstraffic cdrom actually includes the fstraffic demo, which actually installs fine but only works for 30 mins - having a registered version unlocks this - i thought if i just copy the files for the install in PCEM then it might unlock the demo version in windows 10, so far though doing this has not worked
would there be anyway to do these - perhaps the registration is someone else in the win98 system?

Reply 10 of 18, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh sure, that is when one's expectation was realistic. I am pretty sure Moto Racer 1 (1997) works nicely on your gaming laptop, too, but I play the same game on 9 years old AMD C-60 Acer netbook at 30FPS and Celeron 847 ASUS netbook at near 50FPS with QEMU KVM on ArchLinux. 🤣

Reply 11 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i am not sure i get the joke,? you mean moto racer in pcem? i am pretty happy with my laptop how it performs (its from 2014) sure i dont think it is ideal anymore for playing the newest games but up until 2020 its been very good, -no probs playing DCS world and Elite Dangerous on it either, as well as allowing me to play alot of older games well too using its secondary intel graphics card - PCEM though just sounds like it needs alot more power for something like FS2000, even in software mode fs2000 on pcem doesnt run very smoothly for me 🙁 - i have given up on it there and uninstalled it

Reply 13 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm well i get your point - there are some other titles from around then i should be able to use pcem for so not a total loss. i reckon it probably could run mechwarrior 3 also, though i might try heavy gear 2 next

Reply 14 of 18, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a performance difference between the windows and Linux versions of pcem because every glide game i run on it has great performance in Linux and i only have an i5

Reply 16 of 18, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mobile vs Desktop class CPU, the Desktop class has higher base & turbo clock and can sustain longer turbo boost due to higher TDP budget. PCem likes that, but I won't budge the fact that PCem CPU re-compiler could also be more optimized for Linux. I have measured QEMU TCG up to 30% faster on ArchLinux on the same laptop that dual-boot Windows 10 and ArchLinux.

Reply 17 of 18, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay - i think PCEM is really not working for me, i am quite disappointed as i like the way in which you have to get the "parts" and piece it together like back in the day - i tried FS 98 on it yesterday and it struggles to do that, honestly i really that that i should at teh very least be able to emulate a p2 233mhz on my ASUS ROG pc that runs games like FSX, DCS World and Kingdom Come Deliverance with no issues at all - that is obviously not a technical way of looking at things, i know.

I will go back to using Oracle Virtualbox for win98 - now i just need to add an extra 2gb drive to that one, - i dont know why but i just cannot get it into my head how i add a new hdd to win98 in oracle virtualbox - a differnt topic yes, but i would love if someone could just tell me step by step what i do to add an extra drive to win98 again - i keep getting very general explanations that dont give me the exact steps

Reply 18 of 18, by ISO_Joe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Were you actually able to get FS2000 to run on Windows 10? I can get it to install just fine but won't launch on Windows 10 64-bit. I get the "this app can't run on your pc" Funny thing is, Flight Sim for Windows 95 launches and runs.

As far as PCem. I have a i5 7600K 3.8-4.2 ghz, I can emulate the 200mhz (maybe I could go a little higher) on Win95 at 100% and many games run nicely. FS2000 as well as all most Microsoft Flight sims as you know use alot of CPU, 2000 was known for running a little sluggish anyway.