VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I thought that I bought Dolch computer, but it is turned out to be some luggable look-a-like with no motherboard.
dolch.jpg
It is strange. Keyboard is large din connector, with touchpad and (ps2) and it has windows keys 🙁
I checked keycaps and there are non cherry type 🙁
Inside. It has no motherboard, but it would be nice to put some
dolch1.jpg

Display seem to be connected to the board (graphics card) via this connector:
dolch3.jpg

Does anybody knows what motherboard or video graphics card has such connector? I need to test dispaly and it would be nice to install some motherboard in it.

Reply 1 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my guess is some kinda LVDS connector. or pre LVDS. Its 40 pin. Youll need some kinda adapter once you figure it out. You might need 2 or 3 adaptors for all I know. Try to find out the manufacture of the case, or take it apart and find out what LCD it has.

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-01-16, 04:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! That is pretty stinking cool! You could make a luggable... anything, out of that!

Not sure about the video connector. Would it be an LVDS interface? I don't know much about them, but I don't believe there would be any standard pinout if it was. Unless you can find documentation for that system, I don't imagine it'd be easy to figure out on your own (unless you're one of those people that can reverse engineer anything with enough time... I'm not).

EDIT: Beat me to it. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-16, 04:30:

Wow! That is pretty stinking cool! You could make a luggable... anything, out of that!

Agree, it's a blank canvas! I'd love to build something with that.

Hopefully you get the video connector sorted out, OP.

Reply 5 of 18, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for the PSU/system layout, its AT (not ATX), so you're mostly looking at a Pentium MMX, although there are some later boards with an AT layout (but they're harder to find.

Talking of hard to find... that LVDS connector is going to be difficult. I'd recommend installing a cheap Chinese LCD instead which has its own controller card that goes to VGA. That'll be the easiest thing to do, and also means that you'd get a better quality LCD (chances are this one is either DSTN given the age of the machine, or it still has an awful refresh on it), which is compatible with any display adapter.

This would make a bitchin' Pentium MMX + Voodoo gaming luggable.

Reply 6 of 18, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with replacing the LCD. Obviously wouldn't be a trivial project, but that screen is probably absolutely horrible by today's standards. Old CRTs have that vintage appeal and only look real bad if they are defective or worn out. Old (pre-1998-ish) LCDs were, in my opinion, barely usable from the factory, and they seem to look worse with age.

Plus, you wouldn't know just how bad the LCD was (or if it even worked) until you took the time to reverse engineer and adapt that connector.

The alternative here, would be to try to find out more about the original PC and attempt to locate an original motherboard (and video card, if it isn't integrated) so that you can restore it. Still, you wouldn't know if the display was usable without doing a significant amount of work.

Reply 7 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have any interest in using the existing LCD then a starting point would be to find a datasheet for it. Look for a part number on the panel assembly.
But I agree that swapping it out for something "known" is probably more practical.

Reply 9 of 18, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure what vintage your case is but they seem to have similar systems back to Pentium days

Filename
fod4000.pdf
File size
33.66 KiB
Downloads
49 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Most of the useful stuff on archive seems lost but here's their 2004 product guide

https://docplayer.net/94653433-Pc-systems-han … -engineers.html

Reply 10 of 18, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-01-16, 09:35:
Not sure what vintage your case is but they seem to have similar systems back to Pentium days […]
Show full quote

Not sure what vintage your case is but they seem to have similar systems back to Pentium days

fod4000.pdf

Most of the useful stuff on archive seems lost but here's their 2004 product guide

https://docplayer.net/94653433-Pc-systems-han … -engineers.html

That is a great find. Btw, they had a bunch of great hardware 🙁
They listed a motherboard, but I don't see such connector on it.
dolchy.jpg
Image-004-2021-01-16.jpg
For the dispaly, they stated that it is 15.1 TFT. Probably like you said, the best idea will be to substitute the 15.1 3:4 dispaly with standard connector.
I wish I would be able to make it into P166 retro gaming machine, or somehow slide Amiga 1200 mobo into it.

Reply 11 of 18, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are all atx boards. It's hard to tell from your pictures, but the case you have looks like AT?

Also, the location of the PSU and slot covers is totally different.

Yours is likely a much older model.

Reply 13 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure it'll help with the LCD issue, but there's a trove of old catalogues and user guides here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=cyberresearch

This one goes back a bit further than the colour one above, and covers AT boards (including 486). A fun browse if nothing else: https://archive.org/details/IBM-Microsoft-PCE … temsHandbookOCR

Reply 14 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-16, 20:09:

Those are all atx boards. It's hard to tell from your pictures, but the case you have looks like AT?

Also, the location of the PSU and slot covers is totally different.

Yours is likely a much older model.

"Much" is a big word. Max 5 years older given the Windows keys.

This is definitely babyAT, with 9 slots and a few cm above it where the DIN keyboard connector goes, with P8+P9 power connectors. Should fit any babyAT board provided there's nothing too tall in the top few cms of the board. Only challenge is LVDS, and possibly PSU output.

I checked keycaps and there are non cherry type

Pics?

Could well be Alps 😀

Reply 16 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Deal lots better! All metal clone luggable! Much easier to deal with. I had 2 luggables that went through my hands was plastic and breaking, the pair of strong springs mounts (plastic again) of both were already broken. Tried to use 386 on first one and failed (around 2000 or so), due to non-standard LCD adapter card too slow and crash when initialized, and other one was same design but plasma was blurry and pixels were glittering like sparkles, goes both into trash and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Dolch in the know people buy them at high price due to quality and many of them were from IT depts because of special software and cards that were already installed fetched so much money too.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 17 of 18, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pics?

Could well be Alps 😀

I think they might be Alps. Need somebody to confirm it. Even if it is not, the keyboard is clicky and very nice.
alps.jpg

oooh nice and large screen, the connector looks to be pretty standard LVDS
if you know the resolution you can just buy a generic LCD controller for a few bucks

@ini, can you or anybody link me such adapter? According to the their add flyer, the display is 15.1 TFT with 1024 x 768

Reply 18 of 18, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

most motherboards I have with on board LVDS interface use this connector, though thinking about it most generic LCD controllers actually use a pretty standard pin-header instead nowadays, though if you check the other end of the cable you may still find one with appropriate connector