VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have any information about the amount of hardware produced by product ?

Specifically:
CPU’s
IBM XT
IBM PS/1
IBM PS/2
IBM total home based computers produced.
HP
DELL
Etc...

Reply 1 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are industry reports written (searches like "number of CPUs manufactured" reveal them but they cost money) and I'd guess you could get at some numbers by reading around individual products but I've next seen lists like we can see for games consoles

it's an interesting thing. one thought I had when reading about the numbers of game consoles made was "is that all", of a million units globally 20 years ago I'd imagine a relatively small number to remain, same would be true of PC hardware. Another interesting statistic would be the 10 year and 20 year 'survival rate', i.e. the % of an items production run that still exists in circulation

Reply 2 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2021-01-13, 11:36:

Another interesting statistic would be the 10 year and 20 year 'survival rate', i.e. the % of an items production run that still exists in circulation

Survival rate would be interesting, but I don't know what data anybody could use to determine it.

Reply 3 of 6, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Atari, commodore and 3DfX stuff, are way more interesting to have numbers on. Generic Wintel and x86 are just generic stuff. Only thing one would want numbers on, are because of pricing when selling. Survival rate as well. However it is like asking how many ballpens that have been produced and from what makers.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 6, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Realistically getting any numbers on survivors is unlikely, unless there is some online activity related to that particular piece of hardware.
But then there is that Microsoft telemetry in some of their latest offerings...maybe they keep tabs on this sort of thing? And they are not alone in doing that either...
OTOH that only applies if the thing is online to begin with. And I don't think they are too keen to share that data.

Reply 5 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Steam tracks that stuff too, but that's only applicable to anything modern enough that it's currently running on a modern OS, etc.

I have something like 100 video cards in a dresser drawer. Nobody knows they exist unless I fill out a form.

Reply 6 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2021-01-15, 21:44:

I have something like 100 video cards in a dresser drawer. Nobody knows they exist unless I fill out a form.

history is relying on your continued covert collecting! 😀