VOGONS

Craziest socket 7 build on a 430tx chipset

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 120, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using an NVME drive via adapters sounds like a waste of money to me. I can't see it being faster than a basic SATA 3 SSD when sending and receiving data via PCI. Good luck if you can pull it off though 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 21 of 120, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-14, 03:50:
Edited above post. […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-14, 03:43:

AFAIK, the only way to get higher than 83 MHz FSB on a TX board is to replace the clock crystal. If anyone has actually done that, someone on this forum will likely know about it. With the PCI bus at 41.5 MHz at 83 MHz FSB, you're already right on the edge.

Edited above post.

Which crystal could I try? Won’t that mess up the system clock? Make it count too fast?

I could maybe use a removable crystal socket and an assortment of different ones?

Also, if you have ideas of how to get to 83 that would be great cause I’m stuck at 75 according to notes

The Tom's article Oldie Tuning goes over how it might be done on the P55T2P4 ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oldie-tuning,216-4.html ), and I'd imagine the same would be possible on your board. As far as getting it to 83, perhaps there is a place on the PCB where there is a missing jumper that could be soldered into place? Maybe someone else reading this thread might know of a way?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 22 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-14, 04:14:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-14, 03:50:
Edited above post. […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-14, 03:43:

AFAIK, the only way to get higher than 83 MHz FSB on a TX board is to replace the clock crystal. If anyone has actually done that, someone on this forum will likely know about it. With the PCI bus at 41.5 MHz at 83 MHz FSB, you're already right on the edge.

Edited above post.

Which crystal could I try? Won’t that mess up the system clock? Make it count too fast?

I could maybe use a removable crystal socket and an assortment of different ones?

Also, if you have ideas of how to get to 83 that would be great cause I’m stuck at 75 according to notes

The Tom's article Oldie Tuning goes over how it might be done on the P55T2P4 ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oldie-tuning,216-4.html ), and I'd imagine the same would be possible on your board. As far as getting it to 83, perhaps there is a place on the PCB where there is a missing jumper that could be soldered into place? Maybe someone else reading this thread might know of a way?

fun read I can't seem to be able to get the tables they mention to load though. I wonder if the links are broken? they might provide clues as to how it all works.

I'm thinking that the 21pin? header for my fsb/ratio may contain direct links to the clock gen but it's weird that they don't have a seperate jumper system for the ratio and the fsb so there must be a connection to the cpu there also.

if I can somehow decipher the pins that will trigger the 2x multiplier and the 83 or 100mhz fsb I will be happy. my guess however is that they may not even be in those pins or next to one another. a set of jumper wires would be handy. and a gerber file for this motherboard 🤣 what do you think the chances are of someone having the gerber file laying around 🤣?

I really want to find a k63 powerleap interposer I think it severs the link between the motherboard and the cpu for the multiplier and allows you to set your own also it allows more voltage control. this board, though I have not found the notes for it yet I remember (I think) that you get 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2 by removing all the voltage jumpers which would work but it would be nice to have full control. does anyone around here have a powerleap laying around?

ultimately it may come down to taping the clock gen pins directly and some of the socket pins with little wires and epoxying a little breadboard with jumper pins to a blank space on the board. i would like to avoid that if I can.

I'm having trouble finding a datasheet for the clockgen though and I haven't found any software that can interface with it

btw, in a reply in that other thread there was a now broken link to utilities for the k6 does anyone have those utilities? i need to download them to play with. 🤣

debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-14, 04:00:

Using an NVME drive via adapters sounds like a waste of money to me. I can't see it being faster than a basic SATA 3 SSD when sending and receiving data via PCI. Good luck if you can pull it off though 😀

🤣 what part of this build gave you the impression that cost to performance ratios were important here 😂 joking aside, the pci to pcie adapter can be used wit gfx cards also there is a video of a guy using one. and it wasn't too bad, like 30$ the m.2 was free, the m.2 to pcie adapter was like 5$ so all in all it wasn't very costly but yes, I do believe that a sata2 might be just as fast on this system in practice. you're forgetting cool factor though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQVBPC7O9Q
^^^^here is the vid^^^^

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 120, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-14, 09:29:

fun read I can't seem to be able to get the tables they mention to load though. I wonder if the links are broken? they might provide clues as to how it all works.

Here a russian mirror of the page with the tables still available:
http://www.thg.ru/howto/20000725/print.html

Reply 24 of 120, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Iwill motherboard is the lost cause.

Using an NVME drive via adapters sounds like a waste of money to me

It's SATA3 or NVME adapter for M2 SSDs. That said, chipset most likely won't understand SATA SSD.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-01-14, 10:51. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25 of 120, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having trouble finding a datasheet for the clockgen though and I haven't found any software that can interface with it

Can't help with finding software to control the clock generator, but I linked you the datasheet for it in your other thread. For anyone interested: http://www.ryston.cz/petr/mirror/www.phaselin … ts/PDF/6201.pdf

Reply 26 of 120, by smokeycockatiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps you would prefer this ?

Overclocks to 600mhz all day long

James

Attachments

35, From Worcestershire England, Autistic, Hobbies, Steam Engine's-Briggs And Stratton Engines, Dell Laptops,Record Collector,

Reply 27 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smokeycockatiel wrote on 2021-01-14, 18:25:

Perhaps you would prefer this ?

Overclocks to 600mhz all day long

James

oo nice find! I already ordered a 550 k63+ and k62 570+ though 😀 I'll probably never make it past 500 on this board though

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-14, 10:43:

Iwill motherboard is the lost cause.

Using an NVME drive via adapters sounds like a waste of money to me

It's SATA3 or NVME adapter for M2 SSDs. That said, chipset most likely won't understand SATA SSD.

I may be plugging the sata adapter and compact flash into a silicon image 0680 ata 133 card initially anyway as I'm still looking for a really fast pci sata card that works with 98 I want to find a sata 300 card that 98 supports but need suggestions seems many people like the silicon image sil3512 but that's only sata 150 I'm wondering if I should maybe get a 64 bit card that has cache so it can buffer while the pci is in use the goal is the absolute fastest that will work not the minimum that will work well so none of this bla bla pci is 133mb/sec stuff and besides my pci will be overclocked anyway so there is that.

PARKE wrote on 2021-01-14, 10:25:

Here a russian mirror of the page with the tables still available:
http://www.thg.ru/howto/20000725/print.html

oh sweet! gonna save that! thanks!

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-01-15, 21:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 28 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frudi wrote on 2021-01-14, 10:45:

Can't help with finding software to control the clock generator, but I linked you the datasheet for it in your other thread. For anyone interested: http://www.ryston.cz/petr/mirror/www.phaselin … ts/PDF/6201.pdf

that's super helpful thank you so much!!!! 😁 you rock!!!!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 29 of 120, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the storage doesn't really matter, you are limited by the cpu speed, pci bus, the fsb and etc etc. Something like sata 150 or even UDMA IDE 100 with solid state already fully saturates it. glad u are having fun tho, don't forget to post the HDD benchmarks later.

as far as your page swap etc, if you wanted to go fast on 98 you just don't use a swap at all and just max your ram. 98 will run on like 32 mbs of ram. So if you had 512 mbs you dont need a page file at all.

with graphics you are limited to having to use a pci card, which also use bandwidth of pci bus and remember all devices on pci bus share the same 125mb at 33mhz which is very slow... anyways a fx series isn't going to be that fast on the contrary the drivers will bog down the system AMD k6 cpu is a very slow cpu and it cannot handle geforce 5 really. you would be better off with somthing that is no more stronger than a directx7 gpu

I understand your experience of back in 2004 how you are using a TV card and it flys etc and you are PVR wizard. But keep in mind that those kinda tv cards have their own hardware encoders and are doing all of the work and barely even taxing the system, plus that was like standard definition tv back then which isn't that much bandwidth anyways. Then having hardware mpeg2 encoders and decoders doing all the work in standard definition circa 2004 isn't a test that the system is actually fast.

Reply 30 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤔 anyone know how to add a hardware sleep button? I’m gonna have four lights and four switches to plug in but seems I can only find a use for three buttons.
Buttons: power reset cmos,
lights: mobo hdd,card hdd, power, turbo

Mobo has no header for turbo switch but does for turbo light 🤣

Will definitely keep you updated with benchmarks lord of war

The swap drive may not even get used on 98 like you said 256 is enough for 98

Last time I used a 6200 and played halo on it (low settings 🤣)

Yeah. It took some tweaking to get the recorder all set up. It did take some processing power from the k6 like 70% if I recall the cards I got were specifically buffered ones with a nice processor.

Yeah, it’s nothing compared to my i7 and probably would lose in a fight with my old p2 450 but I’m having fun squeezing out every drop and I suspect you guys might be pleased with the benchmarks when I’m done. (Hopefully)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 31 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looky what arrived today! 😁

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 32 of 120, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you the person who paid £340 on eBay a month ago? I was watching to see what that would sell for. I think the seller has dozens more.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 34 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-19, 20:02:

Are you the person who paid £340 on eBay a month ago? I was watching to see what that would sell for. I think the seller has dozens more.

it was a couple weeks ago. Not familiar with that currency but it was about 300$ usd and yes I feel like I got raped 🤣.

It’s kind of the center piece for this build so I didn’t want to miss out.🤷‍♂️

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 35 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-19, 20:03:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-19, 19:57:

Looky what arrived today! 😁

Nice! What are your plans for that little beast.

gonna put these parts around it! Still waiting on a few parts. See OP for specs and plan.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 36 of 120, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you been able to locate the datasheet for the motherboard's onboard PLL (PII52c62-01xc)? Most boards use generic PLL clock generator chips which normally have a 83 MHz setting. On some 430TX boards, you will need to disable the onboard L2 cache for the system to work at 83 MHz. On my board, I had to physically remove the motherboard's TAG RAM chip for it to work properly at 83 MHz. I found that 256 MB of 72-pin EDO SIMMs were more stable than 256 MB of PC133 SDRAM. I also am not using the onboard IDE, except (I think) for the CD-ROM. I found the GF4 series to be overall marginally better than the FX series. I have some thread about this somewhere.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 38 of 120, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2021-01-19, 23:30:

Have you been able to locate the datasheet for the motherboard's onboard PLL (PII52c62-01xc)? Most boards use generic PLL clock generator chips which normally have a 83 MHz setting. On some 430TX boards, you will need to disable the onboard L2 cache for the system to work at 83 MHz. On my board, I had to physically remove the motherboard's TAG RAM chip for it to work properly at 83 MHz. I found that 256 MB of 72-pin EDO SIMMs were more stable than 256 MB of PC133 SDRAM. I also am not using the onboard IDE, except (I think) for the CD-ROM. I found the GF4 series to be overall marginally better than the FX series. I have some thread about this somewhere.

Yes, I was able to track it down with help

hacking a higher fsb on a phase link pll52c62-01xc clock generator

I have a number of gfx cards to try. a modern one on a pci to pcie adapter is also a possibility.
I would love to find a 5500 voodoo pci for this but if a glide wrapper works with a different card then why not that. Also these guys asking 500$ for a voodoo are dumb 🤣.

Yea, it sounds like I will indeed be disabling the mainboard cache

Also, I will attempt to avoid the mainboard ide if it becomes an issue which is why I bought a sil0680 ide card. But I may be forced to use it as pci slots are at a premium. I did buy a pci to 2 pci reiser card. So I may end up with 6 pci slots. Which will help

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-19, 23:43:

Very nice. I'm definitely liking where your going with it and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks! 😀 hopefully no snags along the way.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 39 of 120, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-20, 00:18:

Also these guys asking 500$ for a voodoo are dumb 🤣.

Well, you're getting two processors that bring their own RAM and their speed can be adjusted through software in 1MHz increments without hardware modification. Some might argue it's actually a better deal than that 300$ K6-III+ you bought.😜