VOGONS

First post, by digicube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm only getting 22MB/s when I transfer files from my Win7 PC to my WinXP PC versus 100MB/s from Win7 PC to Win10 PC SATA600 HDD. I've set SATA to AHCI in BIOS. Can I improve the transfer speed? Or is this normal for 10 year old hardware.
CrystalDiskMark shows I can get 130MB/s on the WinXP 2TB HDD. Iperf test shows 100MB/s transfer and 850Mbps bandwidth. WinXP CPU usage is 5% during transfer.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/438604/Asus … rboard-Atx.html

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digicube wrote on 2021-01-20, 00:55:

I'm only getting 22MB/s when I transfer files from my Win7 PC to my WinXP PC versus 100MB/s from Win7 PC to Win10 PC SATA600 HDD. I've set SATA to AHCI in BIOS. Can I improve the transfer speed? Or is this normal for 10 year old hardware.
CrystalDiskMark shows I can get 130MB/s on the WinXP 2TB HDD. Iperf test shows 100MB/s transfer and 850Mbps bandwidth. WinXP CPU usage is 5% during transfer.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/438604/Asus … rboard-Atx.html

I just tested on my XP machine (fully patched using Windows Update) with a dual core Core i3 3210T . I get over 112MB/second over FTP download and 56MB/second in Windows file sharing (SMB using SAMBA on a Linux server) through the integrated Realtek Gigabit NIC . TCP Optimizer optimization does nothing to change that .

On the same machine, when running Windows 10 x64, I get over 122MB/second in both FTP download and Windows file sharing (SMB using SAMBA on a Linux server) .

I can't really say if you should expect more speed on your XP build, but my impression, so far, is that Windows XP "sucks" at file sharing (SMB) throughput .

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digicube wrote on 2021-01-20, 03:15:

Can you recommend a secure ftp server for WinXP?

I don't believe that I have ever run an FTP server under Windows XP (or any version of Windows), AFAICR, so I can't suggest anything there .

As for the secure aspect, neither Windows XP or the FTP protocol are particularly secure. I would not run either in a scenario where the Internet could reach them (unless I explicitly wanted to FTP server to be public) . I do allow outbound Internet connections from my XP machine, for now, but I am very selective about the few WEB sites that I do access .

That said, if you want an FTP server, I suggest

- Running it on a machine with a modern OS (more choices)
- Making it not Internet accessible (should be the case by default if the machine running is behind a home gateway/router)

Reply 5 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digicube wrote on 2021-01-20, 18:49:

How do I make WinXP/98/95/NT not internet accessible but still LAN accessible? All my computers are connected to an ethernet hub which is connected to an internet router.

Don't give the client PC a (valid) gateway address. Blacklist the client PC's NIC MAC in the router. Even better, if you have the equipment and know-how, make a separate VLAN for those devices.

Oh, and if you're still using a hub in 2021, do yourself a favour and get a switch. A decent Gb switch costs less than EUR 15 these days. If you really like the nostalgia of collisions in a shared domain resulting in collapse of performance as soon as multiple devices try to access the medium at the same time, use the hub for the pre-2000 computers, but get everything more recent onto a switch. Even a 10MbE switch would be an improvement over any hub 😮

Reply 6 of 6, by digicube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Eero Pro. I have blocked my vintage computers on the app, hope it also blocks incoming connections to it as well. I'll research on Gb switch. I didn't know there are small consumer versions available. Most I've seen are large rack mountable on ebay.

Edit: Looks like my "ethernet hub" TL-SG108 is a Gb switch.