VOGONS

Reply 20 of 62, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m not sure why I enjoy this so, but in my ongoing journey to know and love the Millennium, I have finally found the 12MB WRAM module! It’s Compaq branded, cool and largely useless. I love it!

Incidentally in searching for it I found that there were Compaq and HP kits as well as the kit direct from Matrox and they all have different part numbers and varying availability depending on where in the world you are.

Here is the box, a Millennium II with the upgrade installed, and the 4MB upgrade for comparison.

F978C43F-E23A-4EC6-9D30-90B63F773CB4.jpeg
Filename
F978C43F-E23A-4EC6-9D30-90B63F773CB4.jpeg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File comment
Millennium II 12MB WRAM
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So the key findings:
1. It’s cool
2. When connected to a 4Mb card, there is indeed 16MB seen by Matrox utility in Windows 98. As expected, there is no resolution/color depth advantage nor performance advantage (Winstone/Winbench in W98Se and DOS) that I could discern when compared to the 12MB configuration.
3. I had a 8MB card and thought... what happens if I add the 12MB WRAM to it?! 20MB?! Well for the zero people who’ve always wondered about this... The card works fine, Matrox reports 16MB (aww) and there again is no performance difference vs the “sanctioned” 16MB configuration.

I’m not sure where I go from here, but I’m gonna continue living the 1920x1200x24bpp dream on a card that incidentally works perfectly on a 486.

Reply 22 of 62, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW if you use this card for DOS gaming, I found a huge difference in Quake 640x480 on my Pentium 90 when using SciTech UniVBE 6.70

No VESA software - 5.7 fps
UniVBE 6.70 - 16.2 fps

Other cards I've been benchmarking have not shown this kind of improvement so I thought I'd mention it. All other benchmarks in Phil's benchmark are identical whether or not a VESA driver is installed.

Reply 23 of 62, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Swiego wrote on 2020-06-06, 19:27:

I’m not sure where I go from here, but I’m gonna continue living the 1920x1200x24bpp dream on a card that incidentally works perfectly on a 486.

Now that's what I call retro computing.

Reply 24 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's no higher resolution with 16MB probably because no higher resolution was defined that times, also there's a limitation by RAMDAC that may not reach at least 60Hz (min. Acceptable for CRT) at higher mode than 1920x1200. More VRAM can be used for multiple video buffers but it may not bring any speed up beceuse the application must support it and also cpu must enough have power to compute more frames otherwise it doesn't help. In theory the 16MB card can fit 2 buffers at 1920x1200/24b while 12MB card only one...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 25 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW is there available pinout for memory expansion connector? I didn't find any documentation about it. How many PCB layers does the module have? 2/4? If only 2 it would be possible to reverse-engineer the wiring from hires photos/scans and make a new expansion board. The WRAM chips can still be bouht. I'd be happy with 4MB version.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 27 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought a couple of Matrox Millenium cards and I really like them, you can tell they're good quality just looking at them. Yes, there are a few games that may not work well but no biggie for me at the moment. As everyone knows, Commander Keen has scrolling issues with them, but there's an option in game that fixes it (options / "fix jerky motion").

I have a Millenium I 4Mb and a Millenium II 8Mb with a 4Mb expansion board. Didn't know they made a 8Mb expansion board too. I'm using the millenium I on my 486 build, looks wonderful but to be honest, I'm not sure if a can tell the difference in 2D quality compared with my Diamond Stealth64 Video (2Mb / S3 Trio64V+). Would need to compare them side by side but don't have that option right now. I'm still sticking with the Millenium I for my 486 since there are no 3D games that will run on a 486 as far as I know. Maybe in my Pentium I makes more sense to combine them with a Voodoo. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I was able to find a Voodoo I 4Mb for $50 not long ago, all the others are way too expensive now.

Also, I bought a Millenium I with an expansion board, in box with manuals, disks, etc. Compaq release. I have no idea about the base memory, still waiting to get it on the mail. I'll post pictures later on.

There is a web page that has newer BIOS firmwares that the ones we have at Vogons Drivers: http://asavage.dyndns.org/Matrox/index.html. I updated both of my card's BIOSes. (No, I don't know the guy)

Cheers!

Attachments

• Mil2 and board back.jpg
    Filename
    Mil2 and board back.jpg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Mil2 and board front.jpg
    Filename
    Mil2 and board front.jpg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Mil2-12mb1.jpg
    Filename
    Mil2-12mb1.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Millenium 1 4mb back.jpg
    Filename
    Millenium 1 4mb back.jpg
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Millenium 1 4mb front.jpg
    Filename
    Millenium 1 4mb front.jpg
    File size
    1.91 MiB
    Views
    File license

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 28 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dusko wrote on 2021-01-22, 04:20:

I have a Millenium I 4Mb and a Millenium II 8Mb with a 4Mb expansion board. Didn't know they made a 8Mb expansion board too.

Hi, please could you look closer at the memory module towards some strong light to see if the PCB is 2-layer or multiple layers? If you can see a bit throug traces from other side then it would be only 2-layer and would be easier to RE.

BTW I also saw Mill II 4MB for AGP - chip version 2164WA-B, I was a bit surprised to see it but there are of course better cards for AGP systems...

Reply 29 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2021-01-22, 05:44:

Hi, please could you look closer at the memory module towards some strong light to see if the PCB is 2-layer or multiple layers? If you can see a bit throug traces from other side then it would be only 2-layer and would be easier to RE.

BTW I also saw Mill II 4MB for AGP - chip version 2164WA-B, I was a bit surprised to see it but there are of course better cards for AGP systems...

Wow! I didn't know there was an AGP version.

It looks like a 2 layer to me, but check this out! you can get them for $20 each, this guy still have a bunch of expansion boards for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Matrox-4MB-50NS-W … 872.m2749.l2649
I bought mine from him, brand new (or that's what it seems) in a sealed bag! and it was nicely packaged in a box.

Reply 30 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I saw there are some offers on ebay but the sellers are always from USA, that means for me the price of item is multiplied x-times by insane shipping cost, taxes, etc... I think it would be nice to be able manufacture new exp. boards. The PCB itself can be made in china for few $. The memory chips still can be bought or I can buy a cheaper donor card to solder them out. The problem is there's no any tech. info or circuit diagram. If you have a time please try to make the best photos of the top and down side of the exp. module on good light condition, it may help. I'm still trying to find someone who has the module and can borrow it but here it's very rare...

Reply 31 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I started with reverse-engineering of memory chips wiring on Millennium II. I identified almost 92% of all pins and have some idea how it works. But I need to track the rest of pins to be able to make replica of memory module. I need someone who has the module and multimeter, with some electrical skills and be kind to help.

Here's my partial result:
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/MGA1.png
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/MGA2.png
My numbering of connectors:
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/MGA3.jpg

Reply 32 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi RayeR, I got busy with work, I haven't forgotten about the pictures you asked, I'll send them during the weekend (maybe earlier). I'll take a look at your diagrams too.

Reply 33 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I had a closer look at your photos and also I got some photos of 12MB module from Russia but I'm unable to track unknown pins as the PCB traces are hidden below pin header or inner layers. So this method will not work, it needs to be probed with multimeter...

Reply 34 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, not sure if these pics will help. I guess it would be easier if you mark in the pictures what pins you haven't identified yet. Let me know.

Attachments

Reply 35 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few more pics...

Attachments

Reply 36 of 62, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I have a couple of the 12MB modules now and a multimeter and am happy to contribute. May need some startup training 😀. Will message you in a couple of days once I’m settled and ready.

Reply 37 of 62, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I need to identify this pins, see picture below.
It's very helpful to have a multimeter with beep tester that reacts immediately on probes connection. It's paradox that some cheap multimeters do this better than expensive ones that have overvoltage protection so it takes a few 1/10s until they beep, then seeking is much slower.
So just hold one probe on unknown pin (better on components side) and with second one move slightly touching all pins around the package of memory chips A1 to A4. Once it beeps stop and localize exact pin which beeps and count its position from nearest numbered edge pin. Pin numbering on a package below. Write down the pin number, memory chip number and connector pin number, so e.g. J2.D10=A1.78. On 4MB module some of unknown pins would be probably unconnected, on 12MB module probably all are used. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-31, 23:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Working on it right now...

Attachments

Reply 39 of 62, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, here it is, not sure if you are still missing something, let me know...

J4-A30 n/c
J4-A29 n/c
J4-A28 n/c
J4-A27 n/c
J4-A26 n/c
J4-A25 n/c
J4-A23 A1,2 -99(OE)
J4-B30 n/c
J4-B28 A1,2 -18(CAS)
J4-B27 n/c
J4-B26 n/c
J4-B24 n/c