VOGONS

Jurassic Park (Ocean)

Topic actions

First post, by alexjes1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😵 Can some one tell me how to run a dos game on win xp, the game title is jurassic park by ocean software 1992, my kids are driving me crazy to get this to work thanks[/quote]

Reply 1 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You install DOSBox 0.65, and run the games inside DOSBox.

Here... DOSBox Guides

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Version from HOTU also works fine under 0.65 (Roland for music and SB for sound effects).

alexjes1. Try running INSTALL.EXE before running the game.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine is the CD version. I even mounted the CD with -t cdrom -ioctl -label as it kept wanting the Jurassic CD. The install screen opens, but does not allow you set the install directory, even though it sees more than enough HDD space to install. The main executable just locks up DOSBox. I imagine that the HOTU version is either a floppy version or a hacked and/or ripped CD version. I will try the HOTU version later.

Reply 11 of 20, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After reading the book, I tried this game but I came across some odd behaviour:

- very very slow. This is a 1993 game that ran on a 286 so why does it need 30-40000 cycles to run at a decent speed? Below that, the game plays in slow motion.

- when I push up the cycles, some features of the game no longer work. I can't switch between weapons - the game switches between the weapons at random. I can't use my inventory this way either.

I have tried changing settings and even DOSBox versions but the problem remains. Full/normal/dynamic core makes no difference. Amount of memory has no impact either. It *may* be the version of Jurassic Park that I have but I kinda doubt that.

Reply 13 of 20, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Joystick is always disabled. I've had far too many joystick related issues so I always turn it off in both Dosbox and the game 😁 . I first thought it was a joystick issue as well because the randomly swapping weapon seemed a ghost input but it was clearly turned off in the install program.

Also, if I don't touch any keys, it still swaps weapons (you can see the current weapon on screen and it's constantly flickering between inventory items)

Reply 14 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I get the slow motion when joystick is enabled in the game's setup (INSTALL.EXE), but the speed is normal when the joystick is disabled. Maybe the config file is messed up somehow, and a fresh start would help: in INSTALL.EXE, press ESC to get to the quit menu and choose "restore defaults".

Reply 15 of 20, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I get the slow motion when joystick is enabled in the game's setup (INSTALL.EXE), but the speed is normal when the joystick is disabled. Maybe the config file is messed up somehow, and a fresh start would help: in INSTALL.EXE, press ESC to get to the quit menu and choose "restore defaults".

Very odd - I had to delete the config file and then redo the settings and now it works properly!

Reply 16 of 20, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have Jurassic Park CD version (version 1.37) but it can't be installed. Whenever I start install.exe the damn setup brings up a drive selection with no drive letter in it, nex to it it accurately shows the amount of free space available and the install path shows " :\JRASSIC" with no drive letter before it, also there is no way I could manualy type a drive letter anywhere. I've tried the CD image on 2 different computers and in virtual PC too, but nothing seems to be working so far. Ca anyone tell me what to do about it, I have the game from lost games blog v2.0

Reply 17 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 18 of 20, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use dosbox for about 2 years now, and there wasn't a problem with it, I've only changed the autoexec in the config file:

mount C C
imgmount D CD/JP_CD-ROM.CUE -t iso
C:
cls

C is a folder in dosbox root directory and CD is a folder where I store the CUE/BIN, CUE/IMG and ISO image files. So I've not only tried to install it in dosbox, but in windiows XP, Windows 7, a virtual PC Windows 98 SE, and nothing worked so far. LINK REMOVED

Also I've attached a video of the installation process made with the Ctrl+Alt+F5 key combo.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_000.rar
    File size
    56.85 KiB
    Downloads
    575 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is a bug in the installer when the highest drive letter is Z. Also happens in real DOS if you set LASTDRIVE=Z in the CONFIG.SYS file.

If INT 21/0E returns less than 26 drives, the bug doesn't occur. I think there is a patch made by Qbix to change the Z: drive in DOSBox to something else, which might help, but it's not easy for everyone to use. The attached TSR will work around the problem by indicating 1 less drive for INT 21/0E. Once the game is installed, restart DOSBox to remove the TSR from memory, because its influence could be a problem elsewhere.

Attachments

• Filename
    JPFIX.ZIP
    File size
    646 Bytes
    Downloads
    907 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception