VOGONS

First post, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got this card, and it seems there's not much info about it on the internet. This is pretty much all I could find about it:

"The OpenGL-compliant UltraFX subsystems use dual Glint 500XT processors from 3Dlabs Inc, and the Delta geometry engine from the same company. It offers acceleration of more than 800,000 polygons per second, supports 24-bit colour resolutions ranging from 640 by 480 pixels to extra wide 1792 by 1120 pixels, which can reduce the need for dual monitors, and is available in 28Mb or 60Mb configurations. Up to four subsystems can be strung together if there are multi-head requirements, using a single PCI slot for each subsystem. The 28Mb version is priced at $4,000 and the 60Mb is $4,600;"

Does anybody have more info and/or drivers? (I have the drives that came out of the same machine as the video card, there *should* be an OS with the card's drivers installed, but I can't find any SCSI cables at the moment).

20210127_154243.jpg
Filename
20210127_154243.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20210127_154403.jpg
Filename
20210127_154403.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Quite a big card (also the cat has chosen)

20210127_160430A.jpg
Filename
20210127_160430A.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 14, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote on 2021-01-28, 05:19:

How are the generic 3dlabs drivers?

I'd like to know too, never before used their generic ones.....as these cards are quite rare.....and till recently i was too lazy to instal win nt.....(but i seen some nt drivers working even on xp)

Attachments

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 6 of 14, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@PC Hoarder Patrol thanks for that document! I wasn't able to find it.

I will give the generic drivers a shot, even though the chances of them working are close to 0. In the meantime I was able to find a SCSI cable, and sadly, there are no drivers on those disks.

Reply 7 of 14, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2021-01-29, 12:11:

@PC Hoarder Patrol thanks for that document! I wasn't able to find it.

I will give the generic drivers a shot, even though the chances of them working are close to 0. In the meantime I was able to find a SCSI cable, and sadly, there are no drivers on those disks.

Have you ever got this card running?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 9 of 14, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2021-10-25, 09:29:

No, unfortunately. I still hope I'll find the driver someday.

Did you manage to extract the drivers from the HDD you mentioned? I've tried searching for anything on their archived website, but unfortunately the drivers were on their FTP server, which was not mirrored by archive.org. I also can't find any information about who bought them. There's always a chance that the company, who bought them, still offered the downloads.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 10 of 14, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were no drivers on the HDDs. At some point, another video card was installed in the system, and someone did a clean install. Only those drivers were there, no trace of the ultrafx drivers.

Reply 13 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sdz wrote on 2024-01-03, 10:36:

A last bump?

Sorry no luck 🙁

Did another web trawl, this time based on all their archived filenames (https://web.archive.org/web/19970506102610/ht … tml/gfxdrv.html) and the only ones I was successful with were the latest v4.0.55 NT 4.0 drivers for the ELITE2 / TRUEfx / TRUEfx Pro (which also uses the 3Dlabs GLiNT 500TX), but they seem to have moved on quickly to the ULTRAfx2 which used twin GLiNT MX processors and a different driver set. Guess the other drivers can be considered as firmly lost.

Far as NeTpower goes, they apparently ran out of money in 1998, after investors pulled the plug on them, and were put up for sale - don't seem to have been any takers and they were wound up late 90s / early 2000s

Filename
ELIT4055.zip
File size
512.48 KiB
Downloads
10 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 14, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for trying, again!

I tried searching in various ways, wayback machine and the Mamont FTP search thing, no luck, it doesn't seem to be on the internet.
Maybe someone has the driver somewhere... one can hope. It would be a real shame to not get this card running and run some benchmarks, games, etc.

Thanks for the extra info! I was unable to find out what happened to NetPower.