Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 37900 of 52811, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

beauty indeed!
I've got one of these too, alphatronic P50-1 with the same monitor and keyboard, I don't think I ever posted it actually, it is soooo heavy.
I even got the matching wheel printer but that unfortunately broke during shipping because it was horribly packed together with the PC itself 🙁 it's a miracle the monitor and other stuff survived.

Reply 37901 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-02-03, 11:00:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-03, 07:01:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-02-03, 06:02:

The AudioVision Thunderboard never had any Midi support. It was my first ever x86 sound card.

The Thunderboard has jumpers to enable MIDI over the gameport, but I have no idea what kind of support it has. I doubt it is MPU401 compatible... and I doubt it'd be too useful anyway, since even MediaVision's later cards had glitchy MIDI output.

Anyway, the card in the picture is definitely a Thunderboard. They list GAME\MIDI on the box because the card claims to have some kind of MIDI support. IBM was apparently under no obligation to test that functionality before designing the box. 😁

No it didn't. I sugest you readthis thread Topic 6452

Your link doesn't work for some reason.

I'm just going by the pictures of the variant with the horizontal dip switches. It uses all of the thunderboard components, but isn't manufactured directly by Mediavision.

The card pictured on the box matches this one which is made in Taiwan...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Board

The first switch on the right dip says "ENMPU".

Th99 points out that this has midi jumpers.

https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/I-L/51749.htm

Like I said, I have no idea what kind of functionality it really has... Likely none that was ever implemented by any games. IBM just put it on the box because it was on the card.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 37902 of 52811, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CMB75 wrote on 2021-02-03, 12:04:

Unfortunately it’s going to need quite some effort to bring it back to it’s original glory.

That's a real beauty. I personally just tear down systems like that and clean every last corner, get everything working, put it all back together and leave it be. I like that aged (yellowing/discolored) look myself. All part of its history. Either way, please post when you have it the way you like it.

Reply 37903 of 52811, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2021-02-03, 16:31:

Unfortunately it’s going to need quite some effort to bring it back to it’s original glory.

That's a real beauty. I personally just tear down systems like that and clean every last corner, get everything working, put it all back together and leave it be. I like that aged (yellowing/discolored) look myself. All part of its history. Either way, please post when you have it the way you like it.

Will do (post, when done). I won’t change much, it’s more about repairing what’s broken... quite a long list.

PS: imi is right that thing is build like a tank...

Reply 37905 of 52811, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I couldn’t resist the “wannabe from 70s” design of this 80186.

i80186-TA1700.jpeg

Cool a 186, those are pretty rare, aren't they? It seems like that generation was sort of "skipped", maybe because it didn't give much over an 8086/8088?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 37906 of 52811, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-02-03, 17:57:

i80186-TA1700.jpeg

Cool a 186, those are pretty rare, aren't they? It seems like that generation was sort of "skipped", maybe because it didn't give much over an 8086/8088?

80186 CPUs are far more common than systems that use them. They were introduced at the same time as the 286, presumable as a low end solution or for a specific market sector.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 37907 of 52811, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

... was sort of "skipped", maybe because it didn't give much over an 8086/8088?

Not really, the iAPX 186 had a different operation area as it’s a microprocessor and microcontroller concurrently. Intel built an embedded version up to 2007... 3rd parties build it even today in FPGA versions with extremely low power envelopes.

Reply 37908 of 52811, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got hold of a card near the top of my 'must find'-list:

16123768354990.jpg
Filename
16123768354990.jpg
File size
279.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Terratec EWS64XL - with a 16MB SIMM

Friend of mine bought one in ~2000. He was intending to use it under Win2k for music production for his black metal group (er, except you weren't allowed to call it black metal despite sounding just like...), but due to driver hell it never delivered on the promise. I now bought this from someone who had gotten it to work for him, he recorded a lot of dark mediaeval-sounding folk stuff with it and used the MIDI synth for backing.

Due to absolutely no musical talent my ambitions are more limited: load that 8MB Hoontech sound bank and enjoy some DOS games 😀

Oh, and the little chips are 512kb SRAM chips to upgrade some boards to 1MB L2

Reply 37909 of 52811, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-02-03, 18:21:

i80186-TA1700.jpeg

80186 CPUs are far more common than systems that use them. They were introduced at the same time as the 286, presumable as a low end solution or for a specific market sector.

Was the 186 not used in printers a lot?

Reply 37910 of 52811, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-02-03, 18:43:
Got hold of a card near the top of my 'must find'-list: 16123768354990.jpg […]
Show full quote

Got hold of a card near the top of my 'must find'-list:
16123768354990.jpg

Terratec EWS64XL - with a 16MB SIMM

Friend of mine bought one in ~2000. He was intending to use it under Win2k for music production for his black metal group (er, except you weren't allowed to call it black metal despite sounding just like...), but due to driver hell it never delivered on the promise. I now bought this from someone who had gotten it to work for him, he recorded a lot of dark mediaeval-sounding folk stuff with it and used the MIDI synth for backing.

Due to absolutely no musical talent my ambitions are more limited: load that 8MB Hoontech sound bank and enjoy some DOS games 😀

Oh, and the little chips are 512kb SRAM chips to upgrade some boards to 1MB L2

That is a fantastic find and there's nothing wrong with playing your favorite dos games with an overkill sound card.

Reply 37911 of 52811, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I got the second to last of the Versa for the Video + a little more restoration work to video for my Youtube Channel...

I now own a Versa V/50 - the version with the non-removable screen. Same problem as my 40-EC had, cracked plastic where the hinge is, should be a piece of cake to fix on a weekend night. I'm pretty sure it works, you have to do some stupid stuff to kill one - I've only seen liquid damage or hot-swapping non-hot-swappable parts kill them - and I'm being a little overkill with the word "kill" - by Kill I mean "make the internal screen not come up", 🤣.

The goal of my video is to take one of each line.....

Ultralite Versa (PC-410 or 400 most likely)
Versa E (my 40EC I've had for 2 years already)
Versa V (this one, V/50)
Versa M (my M/75)
Versa P (my 800x600 P/75)

And show the production differences between the models, how to identify things, and of course, benchmarks. See how they really stack up against their original PC Mag benchmarks from the early 1990's. Will I keep this collection? Who knows. I know I'll be keeping at least 2-3 of them. But I know I'll be having a lot of fun finally putting my knowledge out there in something that is not just thrown together. The goals after this is get the Ultralite working (or piece one together out of broken units and reinforce it), get the touch screen fixed up - maybe even put the Ultralite Badges on it - fix one of the LCD panels I have, and then were good for the video shooting.

Attachments

• s-111111.jpeg
    Filename
    s-111111.jpeg
    File size
    329.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-22222.jpeg
    Filename
    s-22222.jpeg
    File size
    245.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-1111.jpeg
    Filename
    s-1111.jpeg
    File size
    286.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-22.jpeg
    Filename
    s-22.jpeg
    File size
    308 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 34.jpeg
    Filename
    34.jpeg
    File size
    243.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 37912 of 52811, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Yamaha AW4416 24-bit multi-track recorder (I seem to be addicted to those, 🤣) on the way, which would be a great thing except... http://www.home-machine-shop.com/AW4416_RTC_R … tc_ds12887.html

Yes, I have managed to find and order something other than a PC motherboard that uses a Dallas DS12887 RTC/battery combo and, as a bonus, it is often soldered rather than socketed, or so I hear .

We'll see if I get lucky (socketed) or if I will need to have a socket soldered in (I am just not confident enough yet to try my hand at soldering on something so expensive, but I have a great place a 20 minute walk from where I live that would probably make short work of it ). Alternatively, I could try to mod the DS12887, but even that seems a bit risky to do without desoldering it first .

Oh well, live (spend) and learn .

EDIT : Why ? because I feel too lazy to do precise level matching that my current 16-bit VS-880EX requires, so a 24-bit unit seemed like a good idea (note to self : never go Ebay shopping while drunk)

EDIT2: I wonder if adding an 8 channel MY8-AE AES EBU I/O board and some S/PDIF to AES EBU converter would allow multiple S/PDIF inputs easily, or whether I would still need to find a way sync the clocks of the S/PDIF sources to the AW4416's internal clock . Even if it worked, it would not be an inexpensive solution .

Reply 37913 of 52811, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave up trying to find an original IBM screen of the type I had with my PS/1 and went with a slightly newer model which is the same style but has far more controls and better picture quality.

s-l1600.jpg

It will go great with my IBM Aptiva and IBM PC 330.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 37914 of 52811, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love/hate seeing things like that screen that I clearly remember throwing out at work as we upgraded!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 37915 of 52811, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SteveC wrote on 2021-02-03, 23:29:

I love/hate seeing things like that screen that I clearly remember throwing out at work as we upgraded!

I friend of mine used one of these to build on those https://hackaday.com/2016/07/13/expanding-hor … opelled-lifter/

Reply 37916 of 52811, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so, while browsing my usual searches a few days ago this thing popped up and I was like... "sure" even though I have no idea what it is x3

at first glance it looks like a SB 1.0 clone to me with a bunch of GALs to substitute logic chips?
could not find anything about this card, there is unfortunately no FCC ID or anything on it, only a generic serial number sticker on the back.
the supposed "OPL2" does not look like a genuine yamaha chip to me so idk what's under this sticker.
edit: on second glance the chip looks the same as the "5A12" OPL2 clone chip on another card I have.

looking at the date codes it seems to be a card from 1991?

will take a more detailed picture when it arrives but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows what this is ^^
seller's picture:

sbclone.jpg
Filename
sbclone.jpg
File size
150.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by imi on 2021-02-04, 01:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37917 of 52811, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-02-04, 01:05:
so, while browsing my usual searches a few days ago this thing popped up and I was like... "sure" even though I have no idea wha […]
Show full quote

so, while browsing my usual searches a few days ago this thing popped up and I was like... "sure" even though I have no idea what it is x3

at first glance it looks like a SB 1.0 clone to me with a bunch of GALs to substitute logic chips?
could not find anything about this card, there is unfortunately no FCC ID or anything on it, only a generic serial number sticker on the back.
the supposed "OPL2" does not look like a genuine yamaha chip to me so idk what's under this sticker.
looking at the date codes it seems to be a card from 1991?

will take a more detailed picture when it arrives but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows what this is ^^
seller's picture:
sbclone.jpg

There is something vaguely familiar about that card and that "FM 12" moniker .

Reply 37918 of 52811, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-03, 14:08:

Try this then MediaVision Thunderboard

I repeat the original Activision Thunderboard does not have MIDI functionality. I still have the one I bought for my 286 in the early 1990.

The angled picture on the wikipedia page is not the original ActiVision Thunderboard. It's most likely an Audio Blaster Rev 1.0

Here is a picture of it so compare it to the one on that box.

Where is the mention of MIDI on pcb diagram below?

Attachments

• Thunder_Board_-_Schematic.png
    Filename
    Thunder_Board_-_Schematic.png
    File size
    5.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0000310.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000310.jpg
    File size
    434.7 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 37919 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-02-04, 02:53:
Try this then MediaVision Thunderboard […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-03, 14:08:

Try this then MediaVision Thunderboard

I repeat the original Activision Thunderboard does not have MIDI functionality. I still have the one I bought for my 286 in the early 1990s.

Here is a picture of it so compare it to the one on that box.

Where is the mention of MIDI on pcb diagram below?

I feel like my posts aren't being read completely.

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that there are Mediavision Thunderboard variants (my exact wording in my post about this card) manufactured by other companies which have no other known name except for "Thunderboard", but are not made by MediaVision. They are 8bit cards, they have an OPL2 and they have the MediaVision MVD201 "Thunder" chip for Thunderboard compatibilty, they even have the big volume dial like a Thunderboard (though not usually white). After looking at the card more closely, I see the big difference here is that these variants also have an MVD121 chip, which is apparently a later version of the chip used on the PAS16... possibly more closely related to the Jazz16. Either way, this chip is likely the source of the MIDI functionality, and is the reason that the card has MIDI jumpers and is advertised has having MIDI support on the box. It may or may not work any better than the MVD101 based cards with bugged MIDI, but the functionality DOES exist on this card... not the original manufactured by MediaVision.

I have no doubt that you have the original Mediavision branded card and that it has no MIDI functionality. You have to acknowledge the fact that there are other variants of this device in existence. If you're arguing that they shouldn't be called Thunderboards, then maybe we can help each other figure out what they should be called and then go about correcting the many many sources online that refer to this card (with an MVD121 chip and MIDI jumpers) and call it a Thunderboard.

EDIT: Some references...
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=674.0

MEDIA VISION ISA SOUNDCARDS
---------------------------
Pro Audio Spectrum 8-bit card that supports stereo digitized 8-bit sound and dual OPL2 support. (no SB compatibility).

Thunder board MVD121+MVD201, 8-bit 22kHz Sound Blaster clone SB 1.0 compatibility, OPL2, volume wheel. This is referring to the one with the MVD121 added on. I don't think this is accurate unless MediaVision later sold one like this themselves.

Pro Audio Spectrum Plus 16/8-bit 44kHz stereo sound support. OPL3 support, Thunder board chip, MVD-101-like chip.
Pro Audio Spectrum 16 MVD101, Thunderboard + SB-1.0 compatible, OPL3.
Pro Audio Studio 16 MVD101, Thunderboard + SB-1.0 compatible, OPL3, studio version has some additional shielding.
Pro Sonic (16) MV JAZZ 16+MVA416, OPL3, Adlib+Thunderboard+SB 1.0+SBPro compatible (no PAS compatibility), SCSI, volume wheel.
Premium 3-D MV JAZZ 16 chipset, built-in SRS surround sound, comes with KORG Wavetable daughter board on WBH.

MEDIA VISION CHIPSET BASED SOUNDCARDS
-------------------------------------
Logitech SoundMan Games MV JAZZ, OPL-3, 16-bit 44kHz, Sony CD Connector, Does not have the thunderboard chip
Logitech SoundMan Wave MV JAZZ 16+MVA416, OPL-4 2MB ROM, 16-bit 44kHz, SCSI-1, SB+(poor)SBPro compat, MPU-401 GM, PnP, effects daughterboard conn.
Compro LaserWave Supra 16 MVD121+MVD201, Thunder board chipset, CS4231, SCSI
Compro LaserWav.Futura 16 PAS-16 chipset details unknown, CS4231
Protac thunderboard MVD121+MVD201, M-CD, volume wheel This is called a Thunderboard, and is made by Protac. There are pictures of this card, and it has similar features to the IBM one I posted about and it likely has MIDI capabilities from the MVD121, except it also has CD interfaces.

EDIT: I edited my post because I didn't mean to sound so argumentative. I'm sorry. 👍

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.