VOGONS

First post, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Over the last couple of months I've been trying to gather the necessary pieces in order to build Dual Pentium Pro system combined with a Matrox Millennium and a Voodoo 1 4Mb.

For some reason, I do not get any OS (Win NT 4.0, Win95, Win98 nor Windows 2000) to recognize the Voodoo 1 card.

If the Voodoo 1 failed on me is it normal behaviour that you still get to see the VGA signal from the Matrox Millennium that is being "put through" via the Voodoo 1.
What could possibly be the reason for this complete failure? In case of faulty capacitors or faulty memory chips I know that you usually see glitches in the picture. But here, I don't get any OS to recognize the card at all. I tried every PCI slot in the system. Contacts on the PCI interface on the card are OK. On two places, pins on the 3DFX are bend but upon checking in the magnifying glass I can confirm that they are not touching their neighbouring pin.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess it depends on what's failed on the card
If it was the TMU or anything that's not used outside 3d rendering the signal will bypass the faulty component and display just as if you don't have drivers loaded.
But if its dead dead then it wont be even able pass the signal to the 2d card which sounds like the case 🙁

Reply 2 of 3, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-04, 12:42:

I guess it depends on what's failed on the card
If it was the TMU or anything that's not used outside 3d rendering the signal will bypass the faulty component and display just as if you don't have drivers loaded.
But if its dead dead then it wont be even able pass the signal to the 2d card which sounds like the case 🙁

In my case, the VGA signal works via the Voodoo 1. It's just that I can't get any OS to recognize the 3dfx card. I will try to put the Voodoo in another socket 7 machine. If it does work there either, I guess it's dead.