VOGONS

First post, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there!
If anyone have MS-4138, please help me identify element on that motherboard. Transistor Q2 in SOT-23 case near 3rd and 4th ISA slots (see photos)
I think it should be either 2AK (PNP BJT MMBT3906) or 1AMN (NPN BJT MMBT3904).

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
502.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
382.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 1 of 4, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try to reverse engineer the area around the transistor, it should be a general purpose 2N3906 or 2N 3904 (PNP or NPN).

Depending on how the transistor is connected to the power rails/if the base is pull up or down, you should be able to identify the type needed.

Reply 2 of 4, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2021-02-05, 11:37:

Try to reverse engineer the area around the transistor, it should be a general purpose 2N3906 or 2N 3904 (PNP or NPN).

Depending on how the transistor is connected to the power rails/if the base is pull up or down, you should be able to identify the type needed.

Good idea!
Looks like it is MMBT3904 (2N3904 but in SOT-23) 'cause its emitter is tied to the ground.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 4 of 4, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have the same motherboard and it has a socket for a battery, like CR2032. My question is: how many batteries it need, one or two? With only one battery the upper contact (+) does not touch the battery.
The motherboard does not run. it stops in C2C3 codes in the test card. Maybe it needs the battery to star to work.
I have remove the SIMMs modules and the graphic card and it stops in the same point.
It looks like the processor starts but something stops it.
Thank you very much.

Added: I have checked the +5V and 33Mhz in the socket and both are present.
The 32khz oscillator is working

Added: I have checked with another processor 80486DX2-66, instead of 80846DX-33, and the it stops in D3D2.

Added: Two broken tracks. After difficult repair (36 awg wire) without a microscope, motherboard is working but mi question remains, one or two batteries. Thank you.