VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sedaris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody, in the last year I not only collected a lot of informations, but also had a few nice chats with modders and community leaders about the classic Star Trek and Star Wars games. Some of that information I want to share with you, especially the best way play those titles on Windows 10. Since there are so many games from both franchises, I still have some big holes in the list below. If you already found a fix, please let me know and I will add it to the list.

Missing links will be included a bit later

Star Trek:
ST: 25th Anniversary - For the GOG/Steam version update those config lines
ST: Judgement Rites - For the GOG/Steam version update those config lines
ST: TNG: A Final Unity - ?
ST: Klingon - ?
ST: Borg - ?
ST: DS9: Harbinger - ?
ST: Starfleet Academy - Patch for the DVD version / Patch for all the other version
ST: Generations - ?
ST: Klingon Honor Guard - ?
ST: Starship Creator - ?
ST: Birth of the Federation - You can download a patched version of the game from ArmadaFleetCommand. It includes not only fixes for the game, but also all the major mods and widescreen support.
ST: Starfleet Command - ?
ST: Hidden Evil - ?
ST: Armada - Install the 1.2 patch, then the 1.3 unoffical patch and after that copy the DirectDraw wrapper into your installation folder
ST: DS9: The Fallen - ?
ST: Klingon Academy - Install the combined patch
ST: New Worlds - ?
ST: Starfleet Command 2 - ?
ST: Starship Creator 2 - ?
ST: VOY: Elite Force - In this post you find some recommended settings and fixes.
ST: DS9: Dominion Wars - To play it on Windows 10 check this out
ST: Armada 2 - Install the 1.1 patch and 1.25 unoffical patch
ST: Away Team - To install the game start the Setup.exe as admin
ST: Starfleet Command 3 - Install the patch v534b, HD&Gamespy patch and dgVoodoo2. For dgVoodoo: Copy dgVoodoo.conf, dgVoodooCpl.exe and all the files from MS folder into the main folder of SFC3
ST: Bridge Commander - For widescreen support download this. After that read the instruction where you should copy the files or what settings you have to change for your native resolution
ST: Elite Force 2 - In this post you find some recommended settings and fixes.
ST: Legacy - Works with Windows 10 with the vanilla version and the 1.2 patch

Star Wars
SW: X-Wing - A few fixes for the game
SW: Rebel Assaut -?
SW: Tie Fighter - A few fixes for the game
SW: Rebel Assault 2 -?
SW: Dark Forces - ?
SW: Shadow of the Empire - ?
SW: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 - ?
SW: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter - A few fixes for the game
SW: Rebellion - To fix the 3d battles download dgvoodoo2 and copy all 3 dll files from the MS folder and place them in your SW: Rebellion main folder
SW: Rogue Squadron - ?
SW: X-Wing Alliance - A few fixes for the game
SW: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - ?
SW: Episode 1: Racer - Here are some fixes for the disk and gog version
SW: Force Commander - To install this game you need a custom installer. A guide and installer can be found here.
SW: Starfighter - ?
SW: Galactic Battlegrounds - ?
SW: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast - For widescreen and a recommended fan patch look at this post
SW: Galaxies - If you still have your original disks, you can play either the original SWG from 2003-2005 or play the lastest version from 2011
SW: Knights of the old Republic - ?
SW: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy - For widescreen look at this post
SW: Battlefront - For multiplayer you should get either the Steam or GOG version
SW: Knights of the old Republic 2 - ?
SW: Republic Commando - To fix some graphic issues and multiplayer bugs download this community patch
SW: Battlefront 2 - For multiplayer you should get either the Steam or GOG version and for a better experience I strongly recommend to download the SWBF2 Remaster Mod
SW: Empire at War - This time only the Steam version gives you a new multiplayer service

Last edited by Sedaris on 2021-06-24, 18:11. Edited 5 times in total.

YouTube Channel

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ST: Birth of the Federation - You can download a patched version of the game from ArmadaFleetCommand. It includes not only fixes for the game, but also all the major mods and widescreen support

Is it allowed for the full version of the game to be provided from this website? If not then the link needs to be removed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 12, by Sedaris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I talked with the owner of the Website and he doesn't have permission, he stated also so in the end user license agreement: This installer is intended as a backup of your original CD and the end user should possess a copy of the original CD and abide by the original LICENSE AGREEMENT set forth by "Hasbro Interactive" (See "Original Hasbro Interactive LICENSE AGREEMENT" below)

So, I will remove the link.

About Star Trek: 25th Anniversary to improve the look and sound of the game changes the following lines in the dosbox config file.
You find it in the main game folder as dosbox_st25.conf and open it with the notepad.

Changes:

fullresolution=1920x1080 (or your native desktop resolution)
windowresolution=800x600
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x
cycles=fixed 10000
rate=48000
oplrate=48000

For Judgement Rites the config files is called dosbox_stjr.conf and you do the same changes:

fullresolution=1920x1080 (or your native desktop resolution)
windowresolution=800x600
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x
cycles=fixed 10000
rate=48000
oplrate=48000

Last edited by Sedaris on 2021-02-09, 11:47. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube Channel

Reply 3 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sedaris wrote on 2021-02-07, 15:58:
Hello everybody, in the last year I not only collected a lot of informations, but also had a few nice chats with modders and com […]
Show full quote

Hello everybody, in the last year I not only collected a lot of informations, but also had a few nice chats with modders and community leaders about the classic Star Trek and Star Wars games. Some of that information I want to share with you, especially the best way play those titles on Windows 10. Since there are so many games from both franchises, I still have some big holes in the list below. If you already found a fix, please let me know and I will add it to the list.

Missing links will be included a bit later

Star Trek:
ST: 25th Anniversary - For the GOG/Steam version update those config lines
ST: Judgement Rites - For the GOG/Steam version update those config lines
ST: TNG: A Final Unity - ?
ST: Klingon - ?
ST: Borg - ?
ST: DS9: Harbinger - ?
ST: Starfleet Academy -
ST: Generations - ?
ST: Klingon Honor Guard - ?
ST: Starship Creator - ?
ST: Birth of the Federation - You can download a patched version of the game from ArmadaFleetCommand. It includes not only fixes for the game, but also all the major mods and widescreen support.
ST: Starfleet Command -
ST: Hidden Evil - ?
ST: Armada - Install the 1.2 patch, then the 1.3 unoffical patch and after that copy the DirectDraw wrapper into your installation folder
ST: DS9: The Fallen - ?
ST: Klingon Academy - Install the combined patch
ST: New Worlds - ?
ST: Starfleet Command 2 -
ST: Starship Creator 2 - ?
ST: VOY: Elite Force - In this post you find some recommended settings and fixes.
ST: DS9: Dominion Wars - To play it on Windows 10 check this out
ST: Armada 2 - Install the 1.1 patch and 1.25 unoffical patch
ST: Away Team - ?
ST: Starfleet Command 3 - Install the patch v534b, HD&Gamespy patch and dgVoodoo2. For dgVoodoo: Copy dgVoodoo.conf, dgVoodooCpl.exe and all the files from MS folder into the main folder of SFC3
ST: Bridge Commander - For widescreen support download this. After that read the instruction where you should copy the files or what settings you have to change for your native resolution
ST: Elite Force 2 - In this post you find some recommended settings and fixes.
ST: Legacy -

Star Wars
SW: X-Wing - A few fixes for the game
SW: Rebel Assaut -?
SW: Tie Fighter - A few fixes for the game
SW: Rebel Assault 2 -?
SW: Dark Forces - ?
SW: Shadow of the Empire - ?
SW: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 -
SW: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter - A few fixes for the game
SW: Rebellion - To fix the 3d battles download dgvoodoo2 and copy all 3 dll files from the MS folder and place them in your SW: Rebellion main folder
SW: Rogue Squadron - ?
SW: X-wing Alliance - A few fixes for the game
SW: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - ?
SW: Episode 1: Racer - Here are some fixes for the disk and gog version
SW: Force Commander - ?
SW: Starfighter - ?
SW: Galactic Battlegrounds - ?
SW: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast - In this post you find some recommended settings and fixes.
SW: Galaxies - If you still have your original disks, you can play either the original SWG from 2003-2005 or play the lastest version from 2011
SW: Knights of the old Republic - ?
SW: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy - In this post you find some recommended settings and fixes.
SW: Battlefront - For multiplayer you should get either the Steam or GOG version
SW: Knights of the old Republic 2 - ?
SW: Republic Commando - To fix some graphic issues and multiplayer bugs download this community patch
SW: Battlefront 2 - For multiplayer you should get either the Steam or GOG version and for a better experience I strongly recommend to download the SWBF2 Remaster Mod
SW: Empire at War - This time only the Steam version gives you a new multiplayer service

There are some spaces for a few of the games. Do they mean they work perfectly, or you are unsure of the fix, or you are filling it later?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 12, by Sedaris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank for mentioning it, I just forgot those. Like I said there are many Games out there and I only know of fixes for the games I made a video about or hosted an event. As I progress more into the different games, I will update this list. Of course, should somebody already know a fix, please let me know.

About Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force, here are some fixes for the game:

Since the original autorun won't work on modern systems, you have to open the CD in your explorer, open the Setup folder and start the Setup.exe. For many years this was all you had to do in order to install the game, but recently a Windows update broke this. Now you have to do it like this:

1. Start the Setup.exe from the CD
2. Open your Task Manager
3. Expand the 32-bit Setup Launcher
4. Do a right click on the first process and select Go to Details
5. There you have to right click the Process again and select Analyse wait chain
6. If there is a process which keeps the Installshield from running, it will show up and you just have to end it
7. If there isn't a process which block's the Installshield, you have to check the other 2 processes
8. After that the Setup should work, if not just start again the Setup.exe from the CD and repeat the steps
9. If you are done with Elite Force also install the Expansion Pack or the 1.2 Patch

To play in widescreen use follow this:

1. Start the Singleplayer/Multiplayer once
2. Go to your install folder and into BaseEF
3. Open with Notepad for the Singleplayer the efconfig.cfg and for the Multiplayer the hmconfig.cfg
4. In it you edit the following lines to your desktop resolution:

• seta r_customwidth "1920"
  • seta r_customheight "1080"
  • seta r_mode "-1"

There are some security issues with the vanilla version of the game, so if you want to play multiplayer it's strongly recommended that you use Lilium Voyager. After the installation you get an additional exe to play multiplayer, which fixes not only the security problems, but also includes a voice over ip system, fast download speeds and much more.

About Star Trek: Elite Force 2, here are some fixes for the game:

To install the game:

1. Open your Setup folder on the CD
2. Run the Setup.exe as admin
3. Install the 1.1 Patch

For widescreen you can use the same way as with Elite Force 1 or just download the Coop Mod, which includes already widescreen support.

Master Server:
Like with many other Games from this era, the Master Server are long gone. So, you will not be able to see the server list. You can fix this by download the Master Server Patch

To improve the general performance:
By renaming the ef2.exe to quake3.exe you will resolve a number of issues and have a massively impact on the gaming performance

Last edited by Sedaris on 2021-02-10, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube Channel

Reply 5 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For SW Force Commander, you need to put 'ddraw.dll' from DDrawCompat beside 'force.exe'(the main executable) and run the game.

Reply 6 of 12, by Sedaris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, I just tried to install the game, but I can't run the setup.exe. With my first search I found out, the problem lies with 16bit installer. Do you have a fix?

About Star Wars: X-Wing

To enable Hardware acceleration, AA and shading on new computers:

• Download the XWA_DDRAW_d3d11,
  • Extract the zip files and copy everything into the main folder of the game
  • You can replace all of the original files
  • Open the ddraw.cfg with the editor and change: EnableAnisotropicFilter = 1 and ScalingType= 2
  • Start the game and enable 3d Hardware in the options

To play the game with 60 fps:

To enable music in the missions:

• Download the X-Wing Music fix

About Star Wars: Tie Fighter

• Open the ddraw.cfg with the editor and change: EnableAnisotropicFilter = 1 and ScalingType= 2

To enhance TIE Win95 version with the DOS-CD music and to enables music in missions again:

• Download the Tie Fighter Reconstructer and the Tie Music fix
  • You can replace all of the original files, with one exception.
  • Don't use the TIE95.exe from the Tie Fighter Reconstructer, you need to use the exe from the Tie Music fix

About Star Wars: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

About Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance

Play the game with an amazing graphic:

• Download the 2020 Mega Patch
  • Start the Patch exe and select your game path in the installer

YouTube Channel

Reply 7 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sedaris wrote on 2021-02-10, 12:17:
Thank you, I just tried to install the game, but I can't run the setup.exe. With my first search I found out, the problem lies w […]
Show full quote

Thank you, I just tried to install the game, but I can't run the setup.exe. With my first search I found out, the problem lies with 16bit installer. Do you have a fix?

About Star Wars: X-Wing

To enable music in the missions:

• Download the X-Wing Music fix

About Star Wars: Tie Fighter

To enhance TIE Win95 version with the DOS-CD music and to enables music in missions again:

• Download the Tie Fighter Reconstructer and the Tie Music fix
  • You can replace all of the original files, with one exception.
  • Don't use the TIE95.exe from the Tie Fighter Reconstructer, you need to use the exe from the Tie Music fix

About Star Wars: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

About Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance

Play the game with an amazing graphic:

• Download the 2020 Mega Patch
  • Start the Patch exe and select your game path in the installer

In the past, people had to create a custom installer for the game or use a different version of InstallShield to install the game. A project known as OTVDM, can be used to run 16-bit apps on 64-bit OS, with registry settings, desktop and start menu shortcuts. It emulates a 16 bit environment, although not 100 complete, to run the apps. Not only that, it can also run many 16 bit games.

On my main thread, I have worked to create a such list as you are making, but without much emphasis on mods. Like as these old games need remastered mods, a mega patch, a unofficial update, in contrary I kept my list as away from unofficial patches. For any other game that needs a CD audio music, or has issues playing CD audio, a wrapper for winmm.dll can be used like _inmm.dll, ogg-winmm, DxWnd.

You could add a enhancement keyword to your thread for this purpose, as there are a lot of better features these mods provide.

Reply 8 of 12, by Sedaris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you I will try it tomorrow 😀

I know there are some benefits to run a program in the original version, but I think mods/community patches playing an important role in retro gaming. Sometime they are the only option to run the game, we also get an easy to use executable, better graphic and most important they fix security issues. For example the Jedi Knight and Elite Force games have such big security holes that you could get hacked by just playing the game online.

Sorry, I don't understand the part about keyword enhancement. Is that a forum feature or do you mean with that just a feature list of the mods?

YouTube Channel

Reply 9 of 12, by Sedaris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I took me so long to get back here. The last few months were a bit crazy with corona. I tried to install Force Commander with OTVDM, but without success. Luckely I found a custom installer.

About Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast, similar to Elite Force you can manual set the resolution to up to 4k by editing the single/multiplayer config with the notepad.

For the singleplayer the file is called: k2config.cfg and for the multiplayer: jk2mpconfig.cfg

Find and edit the following lines to edit the resolution:

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customaspect "1"
seta r_customwidth "3840"
seta r_customheight "2160"

Additional you can of course change your field of view: seta cg_fov "90"

If you want to play online, I really would recommend that you get the JK2MV Patch. It comes with widescreen support, more menu options, faster map download and fixes all of the security problems the original games has.

For widescreen in Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy you need to change the same lines in the files jasp.cfg (Singleplayer) and jamp.cfg (Multiplayer).

YouTube Channel

Reply 12 of 12, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ST: TNG: A Final Unity - DOSBOX
ST: Klingon - DOSBOX+Win3.1
ST: Borg - Star Trek: Borg (1996/1997) (DOS/Win 3.1/Win 95/Mac)
ST: DS9: Harbinger - DOSBOX
ST: Generations - Star Trek Generations: video won't play [resolved]
ST: Klingon Honor Guard - use Dgvoodoo2
ST: Starship Creator - Star Trek Starship Creator Warp II
ST: Starfleet Command - available in GOG, custom widescreenfix available
ST: Hidden Evil - use Dgvoodoo2
ST: DS9: The Fallen - works natively, support widescreen
ST: New Worlds - use WineD3D for windows [RESOLVED] star trek new worlds: runtime error
ST: Starfleet Command 2 - works natively, custom widescreenfix available
ST: Starship Creator 2 - Star Trek Starship Creator Warp II (win7 only)