VOGONS

First post, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200) ACPI timer seems to be running at about 7.159 MHz when by definition it should be 3.579545 MHz. I am wondering if this is a general issue or there is something wrong with my hardware. It you have the same MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200) motherboard it would be helpful to know is you also see the issue. I could get SIV to compensate for this, but I am wondering, does anyone know how to fix the hardware please?

Below you should see that the dilation rate is 100% when it should be close to 0%. The panel is Menu->Hardware->CPU Detail->CPU Times which is only available on NT4/W2K/WXP and later.

file.php?id=102420

Note for the ACPI timer to be reported there need to be the ACPI FACP table, use Menu->Hardware->ACPI->ACPI Tables to list which ACPI tables are present.

Attachments

• RRL.png
    Filename
    RRL.png
    File size
    56.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ACPI timer seems to be running at about 7.159 MHz
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somewhere in my storage of boards have a FIC PT-2200 according to my inventory sheet, but have yet to find it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 26, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But the FIC PT-2200 has nothing to do with the MSI MS-5169. These are totally different mainboards. Different chipsets, different form factors, different everything.
O.k., they are both socket 7 but that´s all.

Reply 3 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2021-02-07, 22:08:

But the FIC PT-2200 has nothing to do with the MSI MS-5169. These are totally different mainboards. Different chipsets, different form factors, different everything.

Incorrect, see https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MS5169 for further details. I feel if you are going to make such comments as this you should specify exactly what is different with links to justify your waffle.

As you should see the board is an MSI MS-5169 and from what HWiNFO reports the SMBIOS reports it as FIC PT-2200.

file.php?id=102437
file.php?id=102289

Attachments

• MSI MS-5169.jpg
    Filename
    MSI MS-5169.jpg
    File size
    243.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200)
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 26, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MSI and FIC are very different companies. The board is MSI with correct type of font and model type typical with MSI. FIC marks theirs very differently.

Could be chipset mistaken for FIC. Don't trust the software totally.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-02-08, 00:36:

MSI and FIC are very different companies. The board is MSI with correct type of font and model type typical with MSI. FIC marks theirs very differently.

Could be chipset mistaken for FIC. Don't trust the software totally.

AFAIK there are no Super Socket 7 FIC chipsets, further the photo clearly shows it's an ALi chipset so to say "chipset mistaken for FIC" is ill informed.

As the developer of SIV I am 100% sure the SMBIOS reports FIC PT-2200, this is not a software issue. I suspect that FIC sold the MSI board having adjusted the SMBIOS.

Attachments

• FIC PT-220.png
    Filename
    FIC PT-220.png
    File size
    23.8 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Proof that the SMBIOS reports FIC PT-220
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2021-02-08, 07:38:

Here´s the FIC PT-2200 for comparison. It´s a Baby-AT board with Intel HX chipset.

What is the point of this given I clearly specified I have an MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200)? Further I can't see FIC PT-2200 and feel you should have highlighted where it is.

It should be obvious that my MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200) is not FIC PT-2200, epically so given that my board is Super Socket 7 with an AGP slot, 100 MHz FSB and 2 x 256 MB DIMMs.

I suspect that board will not have an ACPI timer and the ACPI FACP table.

Reply 8 of 26, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are lots of pictures of the PT-2200 to be found on the net.
It has even been featured on "redhill" (quite at the bottom of the page):

https://redhill.net.au/b/b-96.html

Here is one of my own PT-2200. The model number PT-2200 can be found in the middle of the PCI slots and on the sticker on the flipside.

PT2200F.JPG
Filename
PT2200F.JPG
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PT2200B.JPG
Filename
PT2200B.JPG
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

The "T" in "PT" stands for Intel chipset, the little sticker on the BIOS chip, the large "QC" sticker on the backside, the VRM coolers and the black SIMM sockets are typical for any FIC produced mainboard from that period.

Obviously the two boards in question have nothing in common. There´s probably some data error in the data of the MSI output.

Reply 9 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2021-02-08, 09:11:

There´s probably some data error in the data of the MSI output.

No there is not and given I posted a dump of the raw SMBIOS data that clearly shows FIC PT-2200 how on earth can you say this?

Either way none of your posts actually help in addressing my initial question and I am at a loss as to why you are hijacking my thread with your posts about a totally different motherboard 🙁

Reply 10 of 26, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2021-02-08, 09:11:

<...>

The "T" in "PT" stands for Intel chipset, the little sticker on the BIOS chip, the large "QC" sticker on the backside, the VRM coolers and the black SIMM sockets are typical for any FIC produced mainboard from that period.

Obviously the two boards in question have nothing in common. There´s probably some data error in the data of the MSI output.

Beware majestyk, for it still may be not enough for OP to justifly your "waffle". I mean, they still might have a chainsaw laying around.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 11 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-02-07, 17:38:

Somewhere in my storage of boards have a FIC PT-2200 according to my inventory sheet, but have yet to find it.

Thank you, but FIC PT-2200 is ambiguous, as I specified my board is an MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200) which is a ATX Super Socket 7 board and totally different to a FIC PT-2200 AT Socket 7 board.

The MSI SMBIOS reporting FIC PT-2200 is suboptimal which is why I adjusted SIV to double check this and when appropriate report MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200).

Reply 12 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2021-02-08, 09:57:

The MSI SMBIOS reporting FIC PT-2200 is suboptimal which is why I adjusted SIV to double check this and when appropriate report MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200).

Is there any way your software might be able to identify the chipset/revision in use ? Might help in distinguishing and alleviating the ambiguity.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 13 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-08, 10:25:

Is there any way your software might be able to identify the chipset/revision in use ? Might help in distinguishing and alleviating the ambiguity.

Yes, of course SIV can report the chipset information, but this will not really help. For me there is no real ambiguity.

The bottom line is that the MSI SMBIOS reports FIC PT-2200 when it should not 🙁. SIV already deals with this, reports MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200) and I could easily make the " (FIC PT-2200)" go away, but given the SMBIOS reports this feel I should not.

It would be interesting to see what the SMBIOS reports on other MSI MS-5169 boards in addition to what speed their ACPI timers run it.

Attachments

• [Chipset MCH].png
    Filename
    [Chipset MCH].png
    File size
    98.87 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV can report the chipset information
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 14 of 26, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Majestik was only trying to help. It is totally understandable why people would think you had the MSI MS-5169 and FIC PT-2200 boards confused when there was no mention that you were aware of the fact they were entirely separate boards in the first post. When I first read it I thought MS-5169 was a rebrand/also sold as the FIC PT-2200.

FIC was an OEM producer of motherboards, it could be well within reasonablility that they contributed (or work was outsourced) on the MSI MS-5169. The FIC PT-2200 string in the SMBIOS could be a mistake from a copy&paste code exercise from a sloppy programmer and was not picked up on in QA.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 15 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2021-02-08, 11:25:

FIC was an OEM producer of motherboards, it could be well within reasonablility that they contributed (or work was outsourced) on the MSI MS-5169. The FIC PT-2200 string in the SMBIOS could be a mistake from a copy&paste code exercise from a sloppy programmer and was not picked up on in QA.

I was not aware there was a FIC PT-2200 and simply assumed FIC had rebranded the MSI motherboard. I feel the initial post should simply have highlighted the ambiguity, but it did not, but rather said "But the FIC PT-2200 has nothing to do with the MSI MS-5169" when clearly it has. When I pointed out that then MS-5169 reports itself as FIC PT-2200 rather than accept this started posting spam FIC PT-2200 images and/or saying the FIC PT-2200 was down to software bugs when the SMBIOS dump clearly shows it's in the SMBIOS!

Even these days SMBIOS information is often less than ideal and back then it was even worse. It's likely we will never know why my board reports FIC PT-2200, knowing what other MSI MS-5169 report may give as a clue.

Reply 16 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2021-02-08, 10:44:

The bottom line is that the MSI SMBIOS reports FIC PT-2200 when it should not 🙁. SIV already deals with this, reports MSI MS-5169 (FIC PT-2200) and I could easily make the " (FIC PT-2200)" go away, but given the SMBIOS reports this feel I should not.

It would be interesting to see what the SMBIOS reports on other MSI MS-5169 boards in addition to what speed their ACPI timers run it.

I haven't got an MSI board, but I do have an Asus P5A,which I think has the same chipset, I could test on, if you're interested.

Attachments

• DSC_0517.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0517.jpg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Do not ask Why !

Reply 17 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-08, 12:30:

I haven't got an MSI board, but I do have an Asus P5A,which I think has the same chipset, I could test on, if you're interested.

Thank you for the offer, as thus far SIV is the only program I have that reports the ACPI timer speed for my MS-5189 it would he handy to know what you get and in general how SIV does on your board.

You need to use NT4, W2K, WXP or later so if you already have one of those installed please try SIV 5.56 Beta-03 or later.

Reply 18 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2021-02-08, 12:53:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-08, 12:30:

Thank you for the offer, as thus far SIV is the only program I have that reports the ACPI timer speed for my MS-5189 it would he handy to know what you get and in general how SIV does on your board.

You need to use NT4, W2K, WXP or later so if you already have one of those installed please try SIV 5.56 Beta-03 or later.

done, sent you a private msg with the output from save all attached.
edit: Oops, sent it to the wrong person, corrected my mistake now. 😁

Attachments

• cputimers.JPG
    Filename
    cputimers.JPG
    File size
    154.58 KiB
    Views
    File license

Do not ask Why !

Reply 19 of 26, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-08, 16:37:

done, sent you a private msg with the output from save all attached.

Thank you, I have replied to your PM. It looks like your board also has the ACPI Timer running at double the speed it should with rather surprised me. I wonder if this is a general issue with boards that use the ALi chipset.

I am also now 100% sure it's not as SIV issue as I just tested a fixed CPUZ that now reports the ACPI timer on it's Timers panel and it also shows the issue.

I will adjust the sensor reporting for your P5A to make the -48°C go away and correct the fan names for SIV 5.56 Beta-04.