VOGONS

First post, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've taken to messing with this game recently, and I've had tons of issues on the actual playing the game front, but for this thread I want to make aware some major graphical issues in the game's 3DFX rendering mode when utilizing dgVoodoo 2. First of all is the fact that for some reason, Gunmetal is very particular about how it detects glide support, and if I go into my dgvoodoo.conf file and change any glide variables like anti-aliasing, suddenly Gunmetal no longer recognizes the glide wrapper dll and reverts to it's software rendering support in the resolution options. I can't seem to really force change the resolution either but admittedly I hadn't experimented too much with resolution support in light of unrelated performance issues owing to the games' timing issues on modern Windows.

However, the major reoccurring issue with Gunmetal's glide rendering that I can be certain is a problem with dgVoodoo itself, is that in a couple levels and anytime you're underwater, the game's special use of what I believe to be vertex fog causes many level geometry textures to be pitch black the closer you get, and apparently, based on a older conversation elsewhere on the nGlide forums I have learned that neither nGlide or dgVoodoo are rendering the fog areas correctly in that instead of radiating out in a circular pattern along surfaces like it's supposed to (apparently), it's instead a blanket effect along the entirety of the screen. nGlide on that note has slightly less problems with Gunmetal on the rendering side of things but causes way more crashes for some reason, so I've been a bit annoyed with my hardware rendering options when playing the game's Windows version. These graphical glitches carry over into the DOS version as well, when I've tested using glide passthrough builds of DOSBox.

There are other rendering issues I've noticed but they actually seem to be inherent to the Gunmetal engine itself, like the handling of reflective water surfaces in certain scenarios. These issues appear in software rendering too, so I doubt they're within the scope of what dgVoodoo can do. It's annoying how these are only the minor issues of Gunmetal being more playable on modern machines. Not sure how to go about fixing the timing issues, because as another VOGONS member learned back in 2014, simply tweaking some hex variables to lower the game's internal refresh rate is not enough, it has other timing variables it needs tweaked. I may need to start a separate thread elsewhere for that.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if I go into my dgvoodoo.conf file and change any glide variables like anti-aliasing, suddenly Gunmetal no longer recognizes the glide wrapper dll and reverts to it's software rendering support in the resolution options. I can't seem to really force change the resolution either but admittedly I hadn't experimented too much with resolution support in light of unrelated performance issues owing to the games' timing issues on modern Windows.

How can be that? Both forcing resolution and MSAA just works for me with this game. Different versions?

based on a older conversation elsewhere on the nGlide forums I have learned that neither nGlide or dgVoodoo are rendering the fog areas correctly in that instead of radiating out in a circular pattern along surfaces like it's supposed to (apparently), it's instead a blanket effect along the entirety of the screen.

Sounds interesting. Could you plz give me savegames for those problematic parts?

Reply 2 of 2, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It runs terrible for me, but I briefly had tested 3DFX emulation in PCem and actually I think people might've been mistaken about how the fog effect was supposed to work in certain levels. Regardless, I can provide saves to confirm that there is still the rendering issue when in areas containing fog (like underwater) where everything world geometry becomes black the closer you get.

I'm not sure if it's been just coincidence, but while I've had less crashes with dgvoodoo than with nglide, I still seem to experience random issues when going to open the game in either DOSBox or native windows if I'm using dgvoodoo. This game needs serious help with the issues pertaining to timing of everything in the game, because I've had everything happen from the game crashing if I use certain explosive weapons in too close of proximity to enemies, levels repeating for no reason despite that not being a feature of the game, and items not dropping like they're supposed to, randomly (EDIT: Oh 🤣, it was a developer accident that is super easy to bypass, items in the game share enemy AI awareness of player which if you have the stealth RPV, items will not work right in levels 6 and 12 to name a few examples I'm aware of). But of course, I can't be certain what causes certain things to happen, simply that this game is insanely temperamental, especially with the Windows version.

EDIT: One strange thing that keeps happening, and I can't remember if it was my fix that causes it to happen alot or if something about one of the wrappers I've tested with, nglide or dgvoodoo, causes different things to occur, but at random times when I start up the windows version in modern windows, it'll briefly freeze. Only just remembered to mention this now but I'm thinking it could just be the paltry hex fix for the refresh rate messing with this game in a way that infuriates either the dgvoodoo or nglide wrappers, if that even makes sense.

Attachments

• Filename
    SAVEGAME.7z
    File size
    358.85 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Public domain