VOGONS

Common searches

Blood on a Voodoo2

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a cheeky post since I can get this game to run. Just not in the mode, or rather on the graphics card, I want it to!

I'm trying to run the 3dfx version of Monolith's original Blood game on a Voodoo 2. The 3dfx patch is so old it was written for a Voodoo Graphics (Voodoo 1) card.

I'm running the game in MS-DOS 7.1 (Windows 98SE's full DOS mode). I've tried several different memory managers and configurations but that's really besides the point since the game runs fine and the crash I'm getting is graphics card related.

Despite my using a batch file to set up the game for the card -
"set BUILD_BRIGHTNESS=0.9
set BUILD_GAMMA=1.0
set BUILD_640x480=1
set BUILD_RESAMPLE=0
set BUILD_NOPAL=0
set BUILD_NOFOG=1
set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=0
set BUILD_TRICOUNT=0
set BUILD_FPS=0
set BUILD_VERSION=1
set BUILD_MRED=200
set BUILD_MGREEN=200
set BUILD_MBLUE=255"

and a batch file to set up the card for the game-
"set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2"

the game still crashes after a while with the message-
"Out of memory for current_texture_data in setGlideTexInfo"

This is a known issue but I wondered if anyone had come across a fix?

It seems that the game works for some people on a Voodoo 2 and even on later Voodoo cards in glide mode. I wonder what variable it is that creates this issue for some and not for others. The game appears not to be flushing the textures out of the card's texture memory but why would it do this on some systems and not on others? 😕

I am able to play the game perfectly well in VESA modes up to 1600x1200 just as I do with Duke Nukem 3D. But I'd love to get the old (and primitive) glide version up and running since I play Shadow Warrior that way and I'm a perfectionist/purist! 😜

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 3 of 3, by Mvickers03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-14, 16:47:
Mvickers03 wrote on 2021-02-14, 16:40:

This thread is very old.

And the OP was last active in 2005, I'm sure he'll be right around to answer your question.

You’re his father aren’t you.