VOGONS

Common searches

Getting Unreal and Unreal Tournament to work on Win98

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm running into the following problems.
Back in the old days I've owned a copy of Unreal Tournament, I've played the game for many hours and through the years I've lost my bought copy of this game together with some others.
Now I'm looking for a way to get this game in my possession again to play the game on my Old retro Windows 98 with 3Dfx card.
I've started looking on ---------- but as most of you know, if there is any other company in the world who bought the rights to the game to sell it, it is not available there.
If you download it from GOG, you guess the problem: WinXP or even Win7 required. For a game from 1998!
Same of course goes for STEAM.

So now, I'm looking for a copy that actually works on my 3Dfx win98se machine.
Can anyone Help me?

Other games that are lost to me are MECH2 3Dfx, Interstate 76 Arsenal + Nitro and Battle Zone 2.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-20, 02:15. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 1 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:01:
If you download it from GOG, you guess the problem: WinXP or even Win7 required. For a game from 1998! […]
Show full quote

If you download it from GOG, you guess the problem: WinXP or even Win7 required. For a game from 1998!

Can anyone Help me?

If you have a secondary PC with Windows XP/7, you could extract the files and registries from the installer.
Phil has a video on it.

https://youtu.be/dFBKwdtJ6uA

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:23:
If you have a secondary PC with Windows XP/7, you could extract the files and registries from the installer. Phil has a video o […]
Show full quote
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:01:
If you download it from GOG, you guess the problem: WinXP or even Win7 required. For a game from 1998! […]
Show full quote

Can anyone Help me?

If you have a secondary PC with Windows XP/7, you could extract the files and registries from the installer.
Phil has a video on it.

https://youtu.be/dFBKwdtJ6uA

I agree that this should work for a lot of (maybe most) Windows 9x compatible games sold on GOG, AFAIK.

At the risk of repeating what is said in the video, which I have not seen,
GOG, with the rights holder permission, patches out DRM and fixes issues with newer operating systems or lack of specific hardware (like adding a Glide wrapper), if needed . The fixes are often either reversible (removing the wrapper dll) or not problematic when running under Windows 9x. Additionally, you can probably use Windows 10 rather than 7 or XP to extract what you need .

DOS games on GOG are another thing . Some of them are missing the files necessary for configuring the game for specific audio/vidro options or even the game executable itself (when bundled with SCUMMVM).

Reply 3 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't speak for Unreal but I know GOG Expendable and Descent 3 will work by installing on separate (win 10) system and
copying the install directory/files to the win98 system. It worked for me, you're experience may vary.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 4 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2021-02-18, 16:34:

Can't speak for Unreal but I know GOG Expendable and Descent 3 will work by installing on separate (win 10) system and
copying the install directory/files to the win98 system. It worked for me, you're experience may vary.

With my retail copy of Unreal and Unreal Tournament, I can verify the game does work without an installation.

Reply 5 of 10, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone for replying.
I have downloaded the Interstate 76 Nitroriders from GOG and did like the youtuber did on his channel. But: when I started the Nitro.exe it gives the error: win32.dll expected a newer version of Windows... so no cigar on this game.. however I have some old image files laying around and mounted them searching for nitro.exe, found it and replaced the gog nitro.exe with the original. Now it works but with no 3d hardware acceleration, let alone 3Dfx.
The image files I have were ripped from my original cd's I had back in the days, but then after installing by them, the game keeps asking for the CD (DRM probably). No cd patches from gameburnworld and gamecopyworld wont work. But at least I have got it working. And it is a hell of a lot of work to get a game running under an operating system it was meant for in the first place. I also have contacted GOG about this issue, 11 days ago, no reply so far. I'm fresh out of ideas tbh.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't use GOG Galaxy or don't want to install you can always extract https://constexpr.org/innoextract/
Unknown if the extract tool works on 9x, the page does state XP

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-02-18, 18:11:

Thanks everyone for replying.
I have downloaded the Interstate 76 Nitroriders from GOG and did like the youtuber did on his channel. But: when I started the Nitro.exe it gives the error: win32.dll expected a newer version of Windows... so no cigar on this game.. however I have some old image files laying around and mounted them searching for nitro.exe, found it and replaced the gog nitro.exe with the original. Now it works but with no 3d hardware acceleration, let alone 3Dfx.
The image files I have were ripped from my original cd's I had back in the days, but then after installing by them, the game keeps asking for the CD (DRM probably). No cd patches from gameburnworld and gamecopyworld wont work. But at least I have got it working. And it is a hell of a lot of work to get a game running under an operating system it was meant for in the first place. I also have contacted GOG about this issue, 11 days ago, no reply so far. I'm fresh out of ideas tbh.

For Glide acceleration, check for glide.dll, glide2x.dll, glide3x.dll in the directories and delete them if present. They aren't supposed to be used on old version of Windows so that's why Glide is unavailable.
Regarding the executable, you may need to search for a cracked executable that was launched at the time of the game's release. Newer codes are designed around the newer OS.

Reply 8 of 10, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in the same boat, for UT in my case. I know this is an old thread, but Unreal Tournament is a pretty popular game and this thread is probably going to be revisited by many over the years.

What is the best way to get Unreal Tournament running on Windows 98, with Glide/3dfx acceleration?

Reply 9 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fractal5 wrote on 2023-06-26, 21:09:

I'm in the same boat, for UT in my case. I know this is an old thread, but Unreal Tournament is a pretty popular game and this thread is probably going to be revisited by many over the years.

What is the best way to get Unreal Tournament running on Windows 98, with Glide/3dfx acceleration?

This game was released and re-released several times. If you don't care about the big cardboard box, I'd be surprised if a DVD-cased copy wouldn't be reasonably cheaply available via eBay, for example. Once you install at least patch 436, you're golden for most things 3Dfx and even many later cards.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.