VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone got BASS out of GOG into something workable on DOS?

It has the datafiles sky.cpt/dnr/dsk, but no exes (uses SCUMM). I can convert the dsk to bin/cue, the others are game data files.

Is SCUMM the only option?

Reply 1 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-20, 00:10:

Anyone got BASS out of GOG into something workable on DOS?

It has the datafiles sky.cpt/dnr/dsk, but no exes (uses SCUMM). I can convert the dsk to bin/cue, the others are game data files.

Is SCUMM the only option?

With the GOG release, I am afraid so .

Reply 3 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2021-02-20, 05:51:
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-20, 00:10:

I can convert the dsk to bin/cue

If you mount the bin/cue (or open it with 7zip), are there executables inside it?

No, it appears to be cd audio only.

Reply 4 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since BASS was made freeware, you can grab the full DOS version at RGB Classic Games, among other places.

Or apologies if I misunderstood your intent here.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 5 of 9, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you decide to go the ScummVM route, I would recommend updating it to the latest version. The version included with the GOG release is several years old now and isn't as good as the latest version.

Reply 6 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-02-20, 11:16:

Since BASS was made freeware, you can grab the full DOS version at RGB Classic Games, among other places.

Or apologies if I misunderstood your intent here.

Oh wow didn't know that, thanks!

Reply 7 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMLGladiator wrote on 2021-02-20, 18:50:

If you decide to go the ScummVM route, I would recommend updating it to the latest version. The version included with the GOG release is several years old now and isn't as good as the latest version.

Latest from... Rgb website?

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMLGladiator wrote on 2021-02-20, 18:50:

Do you mean the latest version of ScummVM, or do you mean there is a new version of the Beneath a Steel Sky data files?

(I remember a few years ago people were very excited when they apparently found the original high-quality DAT recordings of the audio, but it turns out they were older, unused takes.)

Reply 9 of 9, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-02-20, 19:24:

Do you mean the latest version of ScummVM, or do you mean there is a new version of the Beneath a Steel Sky data files?

I meant the latest version of ScummVM. Sorry for the confusion.