VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I've downloaded the GOG version of Doom 3. Then I tried to run it on my XP machine. Unfortunately it gave back a kernel32.dll error:

The procedure entry point QueryFullProcessImageNameA could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

I hope this doesn't mean it isn't usable with XP. Any help is appreciated.

----------
Edit: Damn... I just found something that looks like meaning it isn't compatible with XP.
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/win3 … rectedfrom=MSDN
😖

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 7, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that function isn't supported on XP, although they could (probably) just as well have used a similar function that does work on xp (e.g. GetModuleFilename).
See the last post here for something that might help Re: Ion Fury - A new Build Engine game

Reply 2 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-21, 11:22:

Yes that function isn't supported on XP, although they could (probably) just as well have used a similar function that does work on xp (e.g. GetModuleFilename).
See the last post here for something that might help Re: Ion Fury - A new Build Engine game

Hi... Thx for the hint... Unfortunately it tells me that it can't open the Doom3BFG.exe...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found the original XP version on steam .. I have no experiences with steam... Can I download a setup put it on a USB drive and install it on my XP machine? I found a way via the 1.3 patch to make it playable without the client... But there is no detailed explanation about game installation.

Reply 4 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright folks... I got the steam version working with the patch... But had also to install the enhanced version to get graphical enhancements working. But now it runs

Reply 5 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to my notes the Doom 3 BFG version from Steam works fine on XP 32bit. You can use steamless to remove the steam requirement.
You can also use rbdoom 1.1.0 preview3 (You might need to change major and minor subsystem in the game executable)

The retail Doom 3 works fine on XP
You can also use dhewm3_1.5.1pre1_win32 (You might need to change major and minor subsystem in the game executable)
and also fhdoom

Doom 3 is pretty simple, if you are referring to the Steam version as long as the Steam requirement is removed just copy the files over.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-02-21, 22:43. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx... Looks like few possibilities to try out in the future... For doin this the first time with a steam game I am really happy for now... Didn't think it would be that easy...

The gog bfg version will not be playable anyway on XP... right?

Reply 7 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the GOG version but I'm guessing it's the galaxy dll that added that dependency.
Likely not worth hexediting and wrapping since it's easy to replace the game executable with an non-infected version or just use a port.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline