Common searches

What made you join VOGONS?

Topic actions

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What brought you here and how long were you a lurker before becoming an active poster?

I can do my story first:
Back in 1999/2000 I contacted PowerLeap to ask if their PowerLeap PL-K6-III adapter would work in my old Compaq Presario. I was told by customer support that it was not a supported model. For some reason this came back to me in 2012 and I starting doing research to aquire an adapter (Powerleap or other brand) to test. While doing research I also wanted to find information on performance difference between AMD K6-2 and AMD K6-3 and other upgrade tips for my Compaq, most notable if a Pentium MMX 233 could be installed. Almost all Google searches took me to VOGONS. I was amazed by the level of knowlegde and that almost everything I needed to know had been discussed. I was a lurker for a couple of months before my first post, which was: Kingston TurboChip 233-400 possible to remove CPU?.

In the end I managed to aquire a PowerLeap PL-K6-III and it did work in my Compaq Presario! If I knew that back in 99/00 I wouldn't have bought my slot 1 machine (Celeron 433).

This snowballed into me being a regular poster and me starting to expand my collection and interest in retro hardware. Looking back this was good timing, as it was just before prices really went up and I would not have had the same collection if I started now.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 42, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Watching Phil's videos rekindled my interest in retro PC hardware. He referenced this forum a lot, so I figured it was a useful source of information.

After several months of lurking, I decided to join up so that I could actively participate in some discussions that were of interest to me. I also wanted to share my own retro experiences in case they might help someone, as the findings of other forum members had helped me.

Lastly, it's fun to reminiscence about old hardware and games with people who share similar interests.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 42, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always been into retro games and hardware but I've only recently joined the forums.

I think it's because I miss forum communities. I've been a member, moderator and admin on very active forums over the last 20 years but all of them have died out. People have moved on to Discord and Twitch, which I find less engaging. It's all very fast and half of the time people are just posting shitty memes. On the forums most people took time to write something decent and useful. I've often found solutions to problems because someone wrote how to fix it on some forum back in 2000-something. That's mostly not possible with Discord..

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 3 of 42, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I think of it, I cannot remember 😀 I guess I signed up to ask some DOSBox related questions, perhaps to solve issues with running some game. I don't think there's a way to look up a user's posts in chronological order ("Your posts" shows me topics where I posted, with recently active topics first), unless you check time stamps for every post individually.

Hezus wrote on 2021-02-21, 12:28:

I think it's because I miss forum communities. I've been a member, moderator and admin on very active forums over the last 20 years but all of them have died out. People have moved on to Discord and Twitch, which I find less engaging. It's all very fast and half of the time people are just posting shitty memes. On the forums most people took time to write something decent and useful. I've often found solutions to problems because someone wrote how to fix it on some forum back in 2000-something. That's mostly not possible with Discord..

I feel ya, I miss the days when forums were active too. I haven't gotten to sign up a Discord account yet in spite of numerous invitations, I'm that resistant to this kind of change.

My very first forum where I signed up back in 2004 recently added authentication check via Google Authenticator, which I don't have and don't want to set up, so I basically shut myself off from it. The forum has been stagnating for the last ten years anyway 🙁

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 4 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-02-21, 12:48:

I don't think there's a way to look up a user's posts in chronological order ("Your posts" shows me topics where I posted, with recently active topics first), unless you check time stamps for every post individually.

There is, click your username, then the search icon in top right corner. You'll then have a chronological list of your own posts, so go to the last page to find the first one.

Beside that I agree that Twitch and Discord is not very good services when it comes to preserving or making information searchable. It's a very much "in the moment" service. In a couple of years, all of it will be lost.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 42, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was seeking assistance with old hardware, drivers and configurations for playing old DOS games.
Something I always wanted to do back in 1990’s but never had the leisure time to play computer games.

Reply 7 of 42, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was a lurker for quite some time. The late, great qemu-3dfx thread was the one that finally pulled me in 😁
I'm really impressed by the level of knowledge here, love all the crazy projects and the overall spirit of this community.
In fact, this is the only forum I participate in any shape or form, I don't do FB etc. Hezus already summarized it quite well there.

Reply 8 of 42, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Particularly obscure game I'm trying to get running. If I can't figure it out soon, I'll make a thread.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 9 of 42, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I came here for the poetry and ofcourse the interstellar highway construction.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 11 of 42, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox-X

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 14 of 42, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know how I fell into the Sound Canvas rabbit hole, but researching that and then SB16 midi bugs kept making me end up at VOGONS. In the end I joined to ask a question about a sound card I bought.

Reply 15 of 42, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

found vogons while deliberately searching for forums about old pcs and lurked for several years on and off depending on my levels of interest in old PCs, I joined when I had a couple of questions and observations I just wanted to communicate and having long known vogons to be friendly and active it made sense to join up

Reply 16 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After reading this, I just had to go look up the very first time I posted here on Vogons and in there I mentioned having been a lurker on vogons for a long time even before I created this account 11 years ago 🤣.
Apparently I had a couple questions. I do remember that, at that time, I had already been into building now-retro PCs for at least 5 years or so when I joined.
I don't remember how I originally found it, but probably found it using google.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 42, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I came for VDMSound and stayed for DOSBox 😀
(apparently I lurked a bit but that was 19 years ago... I don't remember specifics)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Horrible bravenet vdmsound forum and the need for a forum for getting old games running on new systems.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 42, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oh yes, I remember that bravenet forum...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper