VOGONS

First post, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

So I got this sound card for a very good price:
WXc3OJdt.jpeg AaRgwu9t.jpg.

I couldn't figure out if it is indeed an original Yamaha or some kind of AIB.

I'm dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3 on the following machine:
- AMD Athlon 2800+
- Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
- 2Gb DDR ram (1Gb under Win98SE using himemx)
- Sapphire ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb AGP 8x
- 120Gb Crucial BX500 SSD with SATA to IDE adapter
- LG GSA-H58N IDE DVD drive

Now:
- Under Win98SE the YMF724F sounds great, powerful and clean...
- Under WinXP it sounds awfully loud and distorted...
- but in BOTH OSes, whenever there's a disc in the optical drive, I can clearly hear it spinning through the speakers! It can get VERY annoying and I really don't know how is it possible.
- Adding to this, I don't have working CD music in games like Quake, Quake II, Tomb Raider and such (all of them are the original vanilla retail CD versions).

The analogic audio cable is connected to the "COM3" port on the sound card.
Would it help to use another of those ports (I think I have the right connector to plug in there)?
I also read somewhere that it could be a matter of which PCI slot the card is inserted in: right now it sits right next to the AGP slot. I should mention that with a Sound Blaster Live and a Terratec ESS Solo1 I didn't have this background noise issue.

Any help will be very appreciated 😀.

Thanks!

Last edited by DeadnightWarrior on 2021-02-23, 13:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you disconnect the analog audio cable or mute the cd volume, does the spinning noise at least go away? Might be able to use digital cd audio playback with the right drivers.

Reply 2 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a different CD audio cable first. If that doesn't help, make sure the cable is correctly aligned on both ends.

If you look at the back of the CD drive, there should be some markings above the CD audio connector, usually "RGGL". Those need to be aligned to the pins on your sound card. So, if the red wire of your cable connects to "R" on the CD drive, it should also be connected to "R" on the sound card.

Usually, this doesn't matter much and simply reverses the stereo channels if the cable isn't connected properly. However, in some cases, an incorrectly hooked up cable can result in more noise.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 9, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-23, 09:03:

If you disconnect the analog audio cable or mute the cd volume, does the spinning noise at least go away? Might be able to use digital cd audio playback with the right drivers.

I'll try to disconnect the cable but I already can say that muting the CD audio or lowering the slider makes the noise go away.
It's ironic, I always wanted to stick with IDE optical drives just to have CD music in games that support it... Are you telling me I could go with a SATA DVD drive and still have that?

Last edited by DeadnightWarrior on 2021-02-23, 10:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DeadnightWarrior wrote on 2021-02-23, 09:58:
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-23, 09:03:

I'll try to disconnect the cable but I already can say that muting the CD audio or lowering the slider makes the noise go away.
It's ironic, I always wanted to stick with IDE optical drives just to have CD music in games that support it... Are you telling I could go with a SATA DVD drive and still have that?

I'm not versed in the particulars of YMF drivers but generally you need WDM drivers for digital cd audio.

See this thread, it contains interesting info: Re: When did optical drives stop support cd audio despite still having the connector for it? How to avoid buying one?
1) Apparently there's cd drivers with a non-functional audio connector
2) there's WDM drivers for YMF744 (not sure how similar that is to 724) cards that let you have audio over the digital cable, but apparently it doesn't work with all games?

Reply 5 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you didn't say anything about it so I have to mention it. The pinouts of the audio are silkscreened RGGL on header 3. Then check the back of your CD player and make sure its RGGL the same. If not than you need to rewire your cable.

Reply 6 of 9, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-23, 10:13:

Well, great... and I just happen to have one of those! The manual for my drive states that the "connector is not supported"! 🤦

2) there's WDM drivers for YMF744 (not sure how similar that is to 724) cards that let you have audio over the digital cable, but apparently it doesn't work with all games?

I'm actually using Vxd drivers. Would Wdm break any DOS based game?

Reply 7 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DeadnightWarrior wrote on 2021-02-23, 10:34:
Well, great... and I just happen to have one of those! The manual for my drive states that the "connector is not supported"! :fa […]
Show full quote

Well, great... and I just happen to have one of those! The manual for my drive states that the "connector is not supported"! 🤦

I'm actually using Vxd drivers. Would Wdm break any DOS based game?

Wow what are the chances, well that explains your problem then, and the cable is just acting as an antenna that's picking up noise.
I think wdm vs vxd dos game support depends on the sound card in question (i.e. how much effort the developers put in) but I'm not sure and I'm not knowledgeable on YMF cards.

Reply 8 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I had to guess, some CD ROM drives have ground loops on their analog CD audio outputs. (Either that, or the ground terminals in the CD-ROM cable form one between the drive and the sound card.)
I often leave my CD-ROM drives' CD audio connectors disconnected for this reason, which is hella sucky for games that play redbook audio.

Also, the YMF7x4 WDM drivers will indeed break DOS sound to pieces and throw each piece into a fire.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 9 of 9, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK so I tried WDM drivers and disconnected the analog audio cable.
Fired up Quake and Quake II and:
- before with VXD: sound effects OK but no music.
- now with WDM: music OK but no sound effects!
🤦