VOGONS

A noob and XT-CF Lite woes

Topic actions

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I admit, I am feeling like a total noob now...And I quite so am at this.
For 2 of my machines, I bought a XT-IDE/CF Lite solution some time ago. Both came with a DOS loaded CF cards. They work like a charm.
For my last one, I bought a XT-CF lite 4.1 without a card.
So did some research and tried it on my W10 like instructed here:
http://theinstructionlimit.com/installing-ms- … -to-ide-adapter

In Oracle it boots fine, in my machine (IBM clone with Turbo XT board) , the card gets detected but hangs at C>C.
So back to the W10 machine and through Oracle, I do FDISK /MBR, I put it back in the machine and then it says 'Missing Operating System.
I dug out my DOS 5 discs and I try to do it in the XT but I always get the message: there are no fixed disks.

Next attempt: try it with a socket 7 system. Again, the CF gets detected but DOS and FDISK say: no hard drive to be found dude...
Third system: Tandy 1000TL with also a CF lite installed: same thing.

My 2 premade cards work fine so I am missing something here.
Is this an issue with these adapters, the cards (tried 3)?
BIOS issue on these 2 adapters? One seems from 2013 and the other from 2015 so not really up to date 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_161439.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210223_161439.jpg
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't help you, but I'm intrigued. I don't have any XT-IDE or XTCF devices so no experience with those. Just recently, few days ago, someone posted the same thing happening on a facebook group. All the usual ideas were proposed, yet no actual fix was found. At the moment yours sounds to me like a sort of CHS versus LBA problem.

Here's to hoping someone more knowledgeable posts a solution that fixes it.
Where did you order your XT-CF lites from ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 31, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First thing I'd do is update the xtide rom
http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/

Make sure you run the configuration utility before you flash it.

Presume you arent only using large (>4Gb) CF cards as have seen people reporting problems with them? If so, might be worth getting a small (1gb or less) card to try if the rom update doesn't help.

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 4 of 31, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make an Image file of Your working cards then write that onto the non working one.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 5 of 31, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cards are 8,32 (both Canon branded) and 256mb.
Going to try Win32diskimager this week,otherwise flashing the newest BIOS is the next step.

Reply 6 of 31, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok.....so I cloned it on a 256mb card. Original it's a 128mb with 60mb partition.
All went seemingly well using Win32diskimager but....again 'missing operating system'.
Getting tired of this.
What am I missing???!!!

I also tried Driveimage xml but when restoring the image, it complained about the drive parameters being different and it gave an error when it wanted to adjust it.

Reply 8 of 31, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried a lot of things...the first times I created the CF in Oracle,the XT hung on C>>C. After doing fdisk /mbr in Oracle again, the XT said missing operating system.

I just cloned a working 256mb card on the 256mb one I want to use but it keeps saying missing OS????

Maybe I am preparing it wrong?
In diskpart W10, I do a clean and then it does't work. Then I create a partition of 244mb since diskpart says it's 244mb (leaving like 245kb unused it seems). I assign a drive letter and format it in FAT.

Two options to go now:
Find some other cf cards
Lend a cf card reader so I can do disk to disk copy with the one in my pc

Reply 9 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what kind of CF cards are these? judging from the size they are not the 400x 333x super fast kind that can be problematic in old systems...
weird!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had great success with the transcent 133x ones - newer ones that are indeed way faster have issues with older systems - they either take too long to "drop their speed" or plainly do not support slow connections from what I have read and thus you can get all kinds of errors...
Try with a DOS partitioning tool like Partition Magic and see if this helps, I use it all the time and never had an issue - provided the CF is suitable.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 31, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, maybe my "help" was bogus.

I have been using my cf-lite that I made myself in an XT machine lately and had similar issues. Dos actually sees the 2gb partition as non-dos so maybe imaging
isn't going to work.
How about just formatting it as FAT only, not fat32. Then just simply copy the files from a working cf card.

I've been updating the games and other files on mine via Windows 10 and a cf card reader .
I just plugged it into my main pc and indeed it is formatted as FAT.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 14 of 31, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I format it as FAT(16)
Going to put the cloned card in my Oracle VM and try a fdisk /mbr since it doesn't get detected by fdisk in my XT, even though the files are there and visible on my W10 machine.

It must be something with the CF I'm doing wrong.

Reply 15 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Murugan,

Are the CF cards that came with the XT-CF lite still working?
Which Cloning software are you using ? if you have access to a linux box all you would have to do would be
insert the working disc, then as root at the shellprompt type

(notice the lack of number at the sdd, and replace the sdd with the correct drive device for your CF card)
dd if=/dev/sdd of=CF.file

then take out the working disc, insert the other disc
(see previous notice)
dd if=CF.file of=/dev/sdd

kinda wish I had one of those XT-CF cards so I could figure out what is being obtuse. 😀 Oh well, something to add to the wishlist.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 17 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

win32diskimager should work just fine.... time to delve deeper in this rabbit hole.

How do you feel about updating the XT-CF eeprom ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 18 of 31, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can make an image and write it to the card,i can access the card in my desktop but in the xt it says missing operating system.

I've looked up how to flash it but I seem to postpone it 😀

Reply 19 of 31, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried another cloning program aaaaaaaannnnnddddd......same 🙁
Next try is the program Keropi suggested.

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_110823.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210228_110823.jpg
    File size
    778.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception