Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the BIOS update info for that board:

Bios-Update history for HOT-613 Mainboard
==========================================
Attention:
This file may not be up to date.
We are not liable for any damages caused by the bios-update.

1) Check programming voltage of EEPROM
JP15 1-2: 12V (Intel and MX Chips)
JP15 2-3: 5V (generally: others than Intel chips)
2) Do not load any memory manager.
3) Start DOS and execute: AFLH52B <BIOS file name>
4) After programming, turn off your system for a moment.

The <Bios-Filename> depends on the I/O-Chip (U48) of the onboard-controller.

613WUQ09.BIN UMC-I/O-Chip
613WIQ09.BIN ITE-I/O-Chip

613WIQ09.BIN & 613WUQ09.BIN
add ZIP ,large size HD

613WIQ0A.BIN
dual processor bugfix

613WIQ0B.BIN
fix cannot assign PCI-IRQ

And the BIOS downloads are here:
https://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/de/bios … les.htm#sockel8

Doesn't look like the single and dual socket boards use different BIOSes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42 of 74, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No luck on the 2nd CPU being detected. I had already tried the BIOS update. I'm just going to wait on some pictures of a dual socket board so I can see jumper settings. I don't want to damage anything by accidentally jumpering the wrong connections.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 46 of 74, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stuck until I at least find some good photos of a real dual board. Project is shelved for now, but I check continuously for sale postings since that is probably the best hope I have to see a real board.

My Github

Reply 47 of 74, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hope the 2nd CPU is getting detected, Nice Stuff!

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 48 of 74, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

<Spongebob: ONE YEAR LATER...>
Huge update..

I had a dream a few nights ago that I messed up the soldering on the Intel S82093AA chip. Well, I went back today and checked it -- sure enough, I had one leg that was ever so slightly bent and not making contact with the pad. I carefully bent it back down and reflowed it.. now it works!!!! No secret jumpers, no special BIOS, nadda. Just add the socket, capacitors inside the socket area, VRM header and VRM, and the S82093AA chip.

So if you want to get a dual Pentium Pro out of this board, you just need to follow what I did in this thread. Case closed.

Here it is on the test bench with 2x 200MHz PPro's, 128MB EDO RAM, and an ATI Mach 64 ISA (lol).

C29jiXH.jpg

HwCS00D.jpg

G2vpBoi.jpg

My Github

Reply 51 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woohoo!!! Nice!!! Congratts!

They made a single processor version of my board also. But luckily I have the dual version hehe

Lot of delicate work. Good job!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 56 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noticed solder blobs on the pcb near the chip you had to add. May wanna grab those before they wander off.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 57 of 74, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea that picture was before I cleaned the board just after soldering. Everything cleaned up nicely.

Now to build this into a case.. I have a 3-digit MHz display in a beige case that should suit it well. Any recommendations on an OS? Windows NT4? Some early variant of linux with dual CPU support?

My Github

Reply 59 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2021-03-04, 13:07:

Yea that picture was before I cleaned the board just after soldering. Everything cleaned up nicely.

Now to build this into a case.. I have a 3-digit MHz display in a beige case that should suit it well. Any recommendations on an OS? Windows NT4? Some early variant of linux with dual CPU support?

funny you should ask I'm going through the same fun at the moment, try server 2003 standard r2 see if it works. it has gpt support and pressing f5 at startup on it or xp/2k/mce should bring up a menu with mps multiprocessor as a option

as for linux try debian jessie followed by older versions if that doesn't work jessie works on my k6 but not on my dual 233 mmx so wheezy might be the trick. use one of those xlcs xfce whatever desktop environments I for get their exact name but you'll know when you see the options. the other options will be slow.

btw, order 4 128mb sticks from ebay for that thing. there is a set for sale of some hp sticks that are registered and buffered right now

server 2003 didn't work for me it bluescreens after first reboot but windows media center edition and xp sp3 seem to work alright

for storage pickup a promise tx4 300 card I've had great luck with booting to them and great speed from them

if you get the chance, dump the bios and open it in awdbedit if you see a acpi table let me know and we can probably stick windows 7 on that thing I have a Iso file that will work with les than 512mb of ram but you won't need it if you pick up that ram

as for doing things I haven't been able to beat 7 I am constantly using it to rescue the other operating systems on my k6 build 🤣 I wish my dual pentium had acpi cause I'm pretty sure it would run very nicely on it

can't stress enough how impressed I've been with 7 if you have acpi try it.

also, look into pentium pro over drives on ebay you can bump that up to a 333mhz pII I think

check out my signature for the dual socket 7 build

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-03-04, 13:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-