VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to have black borders around a fixed (non-scaled) resolution (640 x 480, 800 x 600 or 1280 x 1024) when in full-screen mode. I don't seem to find how to do this. DosBox tries to stretch my screen and I don't want that. I want the exact resolution, with the rest of the screen filled with black borders. What am I missing?

Reply 2 of 4, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using an NVidea card. It can do this, but I thought DosBox was able to do this too? Would be much easier if I could do this in the config file, than having to manually change the resolution of the host PC every time (and switching it back afterwards).

With these parameters you can nicely double the 640x480 resolution, and dosbox will put black borders on the top, bottom and sides to get a sharp result.

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x960
windowresolution=original
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74-3.map
usescancodes=true

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

I'd like to have something like fullresolution=640x480 with "scaler = normal1x" (this doesn't exist, off course).

Reply 4 of 4, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2021-03-29, 19:28:

If you really want no scaling set output=surface and fullresolution to whatever your desktop resolution is. The output will be a tiny little window surrounded by borders...

Perfect! That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Indeed with 640x480 it's tiny, but I'll probably use it most of the time with a Win 3.11 with a 1280x1024 resolution, and that's quite OK on a 1920 x 1080 screen.